User Tag List

First 123

Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. #21
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    This is what happens in dogged pursuit of 'right' and 'justice'.

    At a certain level it creates divisions and everyone gets harmed, including the bystanders and victims.

    For example they take a child who doesn't know what is going on and start asking them questions, like "did so and so hurt you" and the child is just uncomfortable because it's really weird to be asked those questions for no apparent reason. The interviewers take this discomfort as hiding or repressing some form of abuse, and they persist, and persist, trying to get a 'truth' that they are already looking for which in some cases isn't even there.

    Honestly, people who constantly look for wrong are either going to find it, or cause it.
    Yeah. I mean, everyone wants children to be safe from those who might abuse or have abused them. But the methods used with impressionable kids with the imbalance of power and maturity can result in some pretty twisted outcomes all on their own.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There is a division between tradition and innovation, I do reject innovation if I think it threatens what I see tradition as having served, often in an unacknowledged and "anonymous" way, not because it is simply contra tradition. I also use that word tradition in a sociological or normative sense, not in an ideological, identity or prefabricated way.
    I haven't been able to discern how innovations aren't serving the same traditions in some of the positions you resist, and if the innovations are serving in the same way sociologically rather than ideologically, I'm not sure what your argument with them is sometimes except simple personal distaste. But I appreciate you sharing your criteria here, and I will take that into account when trying to understand your positions in the future.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I don't know if this involved planting memories, but it does involve one of the most horrific abuses by state employees of all time.
    It's quite the horrific nightmare, and so silly. If you sit children down for a long period of time, disrupting their lives, separating them from their caregivers, and keep hounding them with the same questions for hours and days on end, isn't it obvious that any result you get from them will be useless as far as testimony goes, because they'll say anything to get out of a painful/traumatic situation?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  2. #22
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    What ever happened to the "children never lie" myth? Is that one still going?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  3. #23
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    ha ha ha ha! Whoever said that never had kids.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #24
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ha ha ha ha! Whoever said that never had kids.
    The sad part is that they did have kids.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  5. #25
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Prosecutors who put kids on the witness stand, kids who don't even know what taking an oath entails, are the worst.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  6. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ... If you sit children down for a long period of time, disrupting their lives, separating them from their caregivers, and keep hounding them with the same questions for hours and days on end, isn't it obvious that any result you get from them will be useless as far as testimony goes, because they'll say anything to get out of a painful/traumatic situation?
    Indeed. As in the shameful Scottish case discussed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_R..._abuse_scandal

    Extract: "One of the children later said of the interviews: In order to get out of a room, after an hour or so of saying, "No, this never happened", you'd break down.

    One of the children, later said: "I would never say that a child's testimony in the company of Liz McLean at the time [is reliable]. She was a very manipulative woman, and she would write what she wanted to write. I would doubt any child supposedly making allegations in that situation."

  7. #27
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Chances are that there is some lurker on this thread who thinks we are all devil worshippers here. Because - you know - we disagreed with that person about children never lying and stuff. @Jennifer asked for proof of devil worshippers. Well, here it is.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  8. #28
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Chances are that there is some lurker on this thread who thinks we are all devil worshippers here. Because - you know - we disagreed with that person about children never lying and stuff. Jennifer asked for proof of devil worshippers. Well, here it is.
    All hail our lord and master Azeroth! He will reward you mightily for your numerous desecrations!

    (As a weird side note, one of my favorite X-Files was Die Hand Die Verletzt, which briefly explores these issues... except as an ironic twist, the forces of evil actually do become involved even as the repressed memory thing turns out to be a crock.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #29
    Sweet Ocean Cloud SD45T-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ha ha ha ha! Whoever said that never had kids.
    I am reminded of that time in Calvin and Hobbes when Calvin said he thought that the people who get sentimental about childhood must not have ever been children.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

    "I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Similar Threads

  1. [SJ] SJs and Theory
    By IZthe411 in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-23-2012, 04:24 PM
  2. INTJs and Theory
    By Uytuun in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 02:15 PM
  3. [NT] NT and theory's being grounded in practicality
    By Ezra in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-18-2009, 12:38 AM
  4. Discrimination Lawsuits and Temperament
    By nozflubber in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-26-2009, 12:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO