• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

why is it that people get butthurt and call others trolls

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Ahhh..... that's what you meant. Phew I thought I guessed the type wrong.

Hmmmm.... which type of cookie I want? The same type RH has got.

chocolate-chocolate-chip-cookie-recipe-500x500.jpg
they're dark chocolate cookies with white chocolate chips

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
In the legitimate cases and not the over reactions it's usually because it is a highly controversial statement delivered in a challenging or demeaning way that provokes response.

People especially question this when someone comes up with an opinion, they are nasty about it, and then they refuse to discuss it further.

In some people's minds if someone posts something controversial and inflammatory, and subsequently refuses to enter meaningful dialog, then their purpose must be to be controversial and inflammatory. This excludes random venting and mostly pointed at apparent attempts at discussion and then going on to undermine the discussion.

Edit: or put more simply, things that are vapid or aren't followed by meaningful attempts at dialog, and may be only followed by stronger reiterations of the statement/opinion often get labelled as trolling (sometimes wrongly so) because it doesn't seem to have any value or purpose other than upsetting people.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Thought image was a bit big for the size of my reply lol... still love it though

Ive always enjoyed that one, reminds me of an INFP I used to argue with on Perc.

Although I think he was just fucking stupid...as opposed to a troll. Some people actually do the opposite, as shown by that image....as in they pretend they are trolling just because their argument got pulled apart and the lack of thought that went into it is made clear.

Ive never really seen others call someone a troll because their opinion differs though, but then again that is an individual judgement. Did something happen Ms Chknz?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The fantasy ones, not the real ones that live in their grandmother's basement...

oblivion_troll_mp_by_sonicspeed95-d385wd8.jpg

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
People good at being trolls (as in leading people in the direction they want them to go) seldom get caught. Most people I see called trolls are just attack dogs (my opinion), too one directional and mostly seeking some type of singular emotional response.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Me calling somebody a troll is usually a measure of respect. Usually it's because I'd rather believe a person is being purposefully troublesome instead of believe that anybody could have eyes and ears and be so monumentally clueless.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
some people are more sensitive than others.

That's basically it I guess.

I am intuitive, but I'm not very concerned about how other people see me. Most people like me so I don't have much reason to. Even though occasionally someone doesn't for whatever reason, you'll always have people like that. If they are argumentative and want to discuss I am happy to discuss, but more often than not the people disliking me are just knee-jerking and ignoring them seems the logical thing to do. :tongue:

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It makes people angry and scared to accept thoughts that implicitly question their understanding of reality.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Butthurt = you are too sensitive, dumbass.

Troll = causing problems on purpose.

Some people troll and others call them out on it. Sometime people incorrectly label trolls.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Butthurt = you are too sensitive, dumbass.

Troll = causing problems on purpose.

Some people troll and others call them out on it. Sometime people incorrectly label trolls.

yes thank you, but why?

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In the legitimate cases and not the over reactions it's usually because it is a highly controversial statement delivered in a challenging or demeaning way that provokes response.

People especially question this when someone comes up with an opinion, they are nasty about it, and then they refuse to discuss it further.

In some people's minds if someone posts something controversial and inflammatory, and subsequently refuses to enter meaningful dialog, then their purpose must be to be controversial and inflammatory. This excludes random venting and mostly pointed at apparent attempts at discussion and then going on to undermine the discussion.

Edit: or put more simply, things that are vapid or aren't followed by meaningful attempts at dialog, and may be only followed by stronger reiterations of the statement/opinion often get labelled as trolling (sometimes wrongly so) because it doesn't seem to have any value or purpose other than upsetting people.

This, pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Also, I'd like to once again thank the Internet for introducing the word "butthurt" into my life. It's been years and it still makes me chuckle :laugh:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good trolling creates the best threads on message boards.

Bad trolling is far, far more common though.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The thought process behind equating unpopular opinions and trolling is something like, "Surely, this guy can't hold that opinion. He must be trying to bait us."

When, in reality, trolling is all about the nature of the delivery.

This right here.

Trolls are created not because of an opinion, unpopular opinions, or even heated opinions.

Trolls do so to mock, anger/irate, or "blah blah blah" on purpose (possibly out of the joy of it.) An example of a type of troll on the forums would be a grammar nazi who specifically posts on a thread just to correct your grammar.

Sometimes, the person in question who is being trolled don't know or that they really don't care.

So there is that distinction between actually being butthurt or actual trolling.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
"Troll" isn't necessarily used as an insult, it's more descriptive and an accusation. Like "you're messing with me, get outta here!" Sometimes people can get exasperated and say "you must be trolling because no one intelligent/with common sense/in their right mind/serious/etc." would say that. That's the only time someone would throw out troll because they're frustrated or want to insult you. Otherwise, it's used because someone really believes you are just messing with people for sprinkles and giggles.

If someone calls you that and you really weren't trying to derail or insult or what not, you can look over what you said again and see where the person would've gotten the impression that you were trolling.

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
yes thank you, but why?

Why do people incorrectly label others as trolls?

People do this because they believe their powers of logic and reasoning are not flawed. With this mindset, they might think someone who repetitively disagrees and refuses to conform to their (perfectly rational) argument no matter how much they repeat it is a troll. Obviously they might vocalize this opinion once they give up on trying to win them over via the debate.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why do people incorrectly label others as trolls?

People do this because they believe their powers of logic and reasoning are not flawed. With this mindset, they might think someone who repetitively disagrees and refuses to conform to their (perfectly rational) argument no matter how much they repeat it is a troll. Obviously they might vocalize this opinion once they give up on trying to win them over via the debate.

That is going to be the case sometimes. In other situations there is going to be someone who insists upon an opinion, and arguing for an opinion, that is controversial and unpalatable (hence, putting a greater burden of proof on them), while using a lack of intellectual honesty to escape any difficult counter-arguments. I think we all know this happens and can think of people on the forum who tend to do this?

Under a strict definition, the troll has to not believe what they are saying and is only presenting their false opinion to anger and irritate. But Ill still call people from the paragraph above trolls, its a quick way of saying "you do this for attention and are not arguing fairly", in a similar way to a troll.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
That is going to be the case sometimes. In other situations there is going to be someone who insists upon an opinion, and arguing for an opinion, that is controversial and unpalatable (hence, putting a greater burden of proof on them), while using a lack of intellectual honesty to escape any difficult counter-arguments. I think we all know this happens and can think of people on the forum who tend to do this?

Under a strict definition, the troll has to not believe what they are saying and is only presenting their false opinion to anger and irritate. But Ill still call people from the paragraph above trolls, its a quick way of saying "you do this for attention and are not arguing fairly", in a similar way to a troll.

ps: Couldnt resist! Although it is a bit of a flawed moment since we weren't arguing and you aren't angry lol.