User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unnecessary Input - Why?

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Unnecessary Input - Why?

Why do some people love to make superfluous input?

I just now saw this particularly glaring example:
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...t-ore-is-this/

What makes people do this? That thread could have been reduced to two posts.

It's literally people saying the same thing for two pages. Someone asked "What ore is this?" and people reply over and over that it is obsidian. Someone made a mistake on how long it takes to mine it, so they all started correcting that over and over and repeatedly stating that it is obsidian.

One answer would be entirely sufficient. Why do people bother to say something that has already been said, or doesn't need saying, just to do it? Just for the sake of being included? Are they that bored?

probably to get their thread post count up. just put that out there.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by yakimadude View Post
    probably to get their thread post count up. just put that out there.
    Do people actually do that?

I've heard of it but I've always considered it a sarcastic legend. Something you hear about but nobody actually does. It's inconceivable. Nobody would really think to just get one more post on their count.

Or would they...?

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Many people enjoy stating things they believe they know well whether or not others have stated it beforehand. Though I'd believe most people who posted in that minecraft thread were a minority among a far greater majority.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    Many people enjoy stating things they believe they know well whether or not others have stated it beforehand. Though I'd believe most people who posted in that minecraft thread were a minority among a far greater majority.
    Yeah, I suppose. Some times a vocal minority.
    There's actually an in joke there some times where some people do it on purpose. Some people troll with it too, with the Herobrine threads, pretending to be newbies, and otherwise doing parodies of the more senseless things that people do there. Some times it's actually funny.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I noticed there was at least one guy who managed to type out a whole wiki page to the question that was already answered. I think he was trying to win the thread.

garbage

Hilarious. It would've taken one person replying: "Obsidian. Here's a link to the Minecraft Wiki entry:"

Are they all 14 years old? Because I can imagine a bunch of really young people doing things like this.

See also: All of Yahoo Answers. That site is best read with a bag of popcorn in hand. Everyone pretty much gives the same damn answer, but some people are more intelligible than others.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Why do some people love to make superfluous input?

I just now saw this particularly glaring example:
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...t-ore-is-this/

What makes people do this? That thread could have been reduced to two posts.

It's literally people saying the same thing for two pages. Someone asked "What ore is this?" and people reply over and over that it is obsidian. Someone made a mistake on how long it takes to mine it, so they all started correcting that over and over and repeatedly stating that it is obsidian.

One answer would be entirely sufficient. Why do people bother to say something that has already been said, or doesn't need saying, just to do it? Just for the sake of being included? Are they that bored?
    Why does this matter to you?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Why does this matter to you?
    It doesn't, really. I was curious if there might be some underlying psychology to it. Kind of a "That's odd, I wonder why?" thing.

I clicked on the thread wondering what the mysterious ore was. Realized it was obsidian, case closed, discussion over - except it wasn't over. It's not like I actually care though because I'd get the same thing out of it regardless.