• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Unnecessary Input - Why?

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Why do some people love to make superfluous input?

I just now saw this particularly glaring example:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1387608-what-ore-is-this/

What makes people do this? That thread could have been reduced to two posts.

It's literally people saying the same thing for two pages. Someone asked "What ore is this?" and people reply over and over that it is obsidian. Someone made a mistake on how long it takes to mine it, so they all started correcting that over and over and repeatedly stating that it is obsidian.

One answer would be entirely sufficient. Why do people bother to say something that has already been said, or doesn't need saying, just to do it? Just for the sake of being included? Are they that bored?

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
probably to get their thread post count up. just put that out there.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
probably to get their thread post count up. just put that out there.
Do people actually do that?

I've heard of it but I've always considered it a sarcastic legend. Something you hear about but nobody actually does. It's inconceivable. Nobody would really think to just get one more post on their count.

Or would they...? :shock:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Many people enjoy stating things they believe they know well whether or not others have stated it beforehand. Though I'd believe most people who posted in that minecraft thread were a minority among a far greater majority.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Many people enjoy stating things they believe they know well whether or not others have stated it beforehand. Though I'd believe most people who posted in that minecraft thread were a minority among a far greater majority.

Yeah, I suppose. Some times a vocal minority. :D
There's actually an in joke there some times where some people do it on purpose. Some people troll with it too, with the Herobrine threads, pretending to be newbies, and otherwise doing parodies of the more senseless things that people do there. Some times it's actually funny.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I noticed there was at least one guy who managed to type out a whole wiki page to the question that was already answered. I think he was trying to win the thread.

G

garbage

Hilarious. It would've taken one person replying: "Obsidian. Here's a link to the Minecraft Wiki entry:"

Are they all 14 years old? Because I can imagine a bunch of really young people doing things like this.

See also: All of Yahoo Answers. That site is best read with a bag of popcorn in hand. Everyone pretty much gives the same damn answer, but some people are more intelligible than others.

Lark

Why do some people love to make superfluous input?

I just now saw this particularly glaring example:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1387608-what-ore-is-this/

What makes people do this? That thread could have been reduced to two posts.

It's literally people saying the same thing for two pages. Someone asked "What ore is this?" and people reply over and over that it is obsidian. Someone made a mistake on how long it takes to mine it, so they all started correcting that over and over and repeatedly stating that it is obsidian.

One answer would be entirely sufficient. Why do people bother to say something that has already been said, or doesn't need saying, just to do it? Just for the sake of being included? Are they that bored?

Why does this matter to you?

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Why does this matter to you?

It doesn't, really. I was curious if there might be some underlying psychology to it. Kind of a "That's odd, I wonder why?" thing.

I clicked on the thread wondering what the mysterious ore was. Realized it was obsidian, case closed, discussion over - except it wasn't over. It's not like I actually care though because I'd get the same thing out of it regardless.

Lark

It doesn't, really. I was curious if there might be some underlying psychology to it. Kind of a "That's odd, I wonder why?" thing.

I clicked on the thread wondering what the mysterious ore was. Realized it was obsidian, case closed, discussion over - except it wasn't over. It's not like I actually care though because I'd get the same thing out of it regardless.

Sounds like you care. Sounds like you object.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Sounds like you care. Sounds like you object.

Why? I don't object. Just because I question something doesn't mean I object. I think my questions were rather neutral and non-critical, actually.

G

garbage

Yeah.. people can be curious about things that they're not absolutely passionate about.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wait... are we talking about obsidian here?
That takes 16 hours, not 40.

I'm not objecting or anything.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx