• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mental malleability in preferences

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Through times we often develop thoughts about how we are as an individual, as if it were a solid component. Scientific for one to say. The mind holds an interesting facet in that it is not seen, and it is controlled by temptation and instinct. Our desires have been proven to change over time and then we often hold two differing thoughts on it.
One that we have biologically grown and our biological state dictates change in our subconscious preferences. And two that we have mentally been stimulated with external stimuli developing a tolerance to an eventual change in preference over time.

I hold an intuitive presumption that it is universally accepted that an individual can develop a preference to certain things over time.
A small anecdote used by permission of prplchknz.
I'll try anything a minimum of 50 times before i decide i don't like it, except grits are nasty no matter how many times you try it

These changes in bias are sometimes even consciously chosen through associative experience. The thought and point I like to entertain is how malleable these change in preferences are, and the radius in which an individual can change them.
I follow the thought that each individual has their own levels of malleability in desire but I would also like to further it with the thought of what constitutes to that malleability. Is it psychology or neuroscience and/or genetics?

Through thoughts of psychology would that malleability also change if one were to move from one mental state to another?

The conscious and the unconscious mind can constantly be at odds throughout life. We can consciously adhere to being something more discomforting than who we are at a comfort level. But then that is also an adjustment of comfort. You are uncomfortable being something you find comfortable at a different place so essentially, it can be a natural response. But that full wiring holding you to do a particular something at a particular situation in all situations is the tree to who you are at that present moment.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Links and held definitions:

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree with you that malleability has statistically probable boundaries. I know exposure to varied experience, neorogenesis, and maintenance of brain health with omega 3s for example, or behaviors like chess or the crossword puzzle can help maintain or increase mental flexibility however, I think in part it has to do with issues of identity as well. Exposure to varied places, objects, persons, and situations helps one develop neural pathways adapted for those experiences. Why do you ask?

P.S.

I think different thoughts are correlated with different mental states for sure. They may even be "non-affective." I know for example steadier vpmnk- in a song induces tranquility while loud sounds (over 90 db?) induce stress hormones like cortisol. For most people depression is a stress response to overstimulation.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
[MENTION=6071]Oakysage[/MENTION]

I agree. Not much else to say about it.

Is it psychology or neuroscience and/or genetics?
Yes it's one of those or several or all of them. I don't think any of those options is singled out in exclusion to the others.

Through thoughts of psychology would that malleability also change if one were to move from one mental state to another?
For a given interpretation of malleability, and mental state, surely it would. It's rather plain that we are more receptive in some states and less receptive in others.

I'd also add that different people have different rates of malleability. Personally I seem to cycle much more rapidly than most. Some require more stimulation to reach a given state, and some require less to reach the same state.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree with you that malleability has statistically probable boundaries. I know exposure to varied experience, neorogenesis, and maintenance of brain health with omega 3s for example, or behaviors like chess or the crossword puzzle can help maintain or increase mental flexibility however, I think in part it has to do with issues of identity as well. Exposure to varied places, objects, persons, and situations helps one develop neural pathways adapted for those experiences. Why do you ask?

P.S.

I think different thoughts are correlated with different mental states for sure. They may even be "non-affective." I know for example steadier vpmnk- in a song induces tranquility while loud sounds (over 90 db?) induce stress hormones like cortisol. For most people depression is a stress response to overstimulation.
Oh yes, Unique, thanks for the thoughts. I'm asking for clarity on the changeability of being changeable. My initial thought is how many degrees can a natural level of comfort for an individual change with how much they can change their preference. And what variables play into it. Genetics and Neuroscience may go against these.

Yes it's one of those or several or all of them. I don't think any of those options is singled out in exclusion to the others.

For a given interpretation of malleability, and mental state, surely it would. It's rather plain that we are more receptive in some states and less receptive in others.

I'd also add that different people have different rates of malleability. Personally I seem to cycle much more rapidly than most. Some require more stimulation to reach a given state, and some require less to reach the same state.
Ah, I see. Yes, for the ability of how you change do you hold the thought that you can change your subconscious through a 180 degree angle to be able to upturn who you are at the moment? And can you reach a stage of natural comfort once changed so you aren't inclined to change back to who you are?

Perhaps instead of a simple change, you would have to break apart your psychological state and rebuild it.
If genetics plays a role, some mental structures may be constantly standing.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Ah, I see. Yes, for the ability of how you change do you hold the thought that you can change your subconscious through a 180 degree angle to be able to upturn who you are at the moment? And can you reach a stage of natural comfort once changed so you aren't inclined to change back to who you are?
Yeah, I do it all the time. Some times mid thought! Like I said, I seem to cycle more quickly than other people. There have been times where right in the middle of a discussion I flip and see the world in a new way and I recognize it.

Perhaps instead of a simple change, you would have to break apart your psychological state and rebuild it.
If genetics plays a role, some mental structures may be constantly standing.
Some times I do that, too. I think recursive introspection demands it, actually. How you see yourself effects how you see yourself and how you see seeing yourself. It's one big loopdeloop. Or a squiggle. Or a confusing mess, infinity mirror, all that good stuff.

Also I do think some structures probably remain standing but I'm not entirely sure which ones.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
At the age of 24 neurogenisis tends to slow down dramatically also at 26 iq begins dropping a few points a year. Dopamine plays a big role especially in the ability to stave off alzheimer's. Excercise can preserve memory. I'm not sure why some people seem to stay more malleable over time. I think the exxps are particularly good at this in some ways.

G

Ginkgo

Malleability is largely dependent on the amount of rationale one is willing to develop to resist the unconscious from becoming conscious. The more rationale builds up, the longer it takes for a metamorphosis to occur. On the other hand, the endurance of the new consciousness is likely to be strengthened the more rationale is accumulated prior to the metamorphosis taking place. The more native it is for one to think bullheadedly despite a metamorphosis, the less malleable they will tend to be. Oddly, "malleability" ultimately depends on recognizing what's always been there.

EDIT:

I'm going to say that over-rationality blocks the unconscious contents from becoming conscious. If a thought is complete, it is rational. If a thought is complete, it is accepted and no inconsistency is overlooked. If a thought is completely rational, then what was once possibly a problem is now a solution; the problem no longer matters and new contents can emerge. If one retraces the rationale and chooses to see the futility in solving a problem, they then solve the problem. It's basically submitting to what one refuses to look at.

Perhaps true humility allows for greater malleability. Lol I feel funny being all abstract while you guys are talking about omega 3 and shit.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
At the age of 24 neurogenisis tends to slow down dramatically also at 26 iq begins dropping a few points a year. Dopamine plays a big role especially in the ability to stave off alzheimer's. Excercise can preserve memory. I'm not sure why some people seem to stay more malleable over time. I think the exxps are particularly good at this in some ways.
Ah yes, it's kind of like seeing if you can travel the world and live in different places then settle for a place as you age. But a lot would argue you get sent back to the place you were born in.
Yeah, I do it all the time. Some times mid thought! Like I said, I seem to cycle more quickly than other people. There have been times where right in the middle of a discussion I flip and see the world in a new way and I recognize it.

Some times I do that, too. I think recursive introspection demands it, actually. How you see yourself effects how you see yourself and how you see seeing yourself. It's one big loopdeloop. Or a squiggle. Or a confusing mess, infinity mirror, all that good stuff.

Also I do think some structures probably remain standing but I'm not entirely sure which ones.
Ah, but do your preferences change as you do so? I imagine we're talking about suddenly liking tomatoes after not liking them beforehand. That change would take its place over a period of time and likely not within the second. Do you hold thought that you can like any object or situation you highly dislike if you work to do so?

Malleability is largely dependent on the amount of rationale one is willing to develop to resist the unconscious from becoming conscious. The more rationale builds up, the longer it takes for a metamorphosis to occur. On the other hand, the endurance of the new consciousness is likely to be strengthened the more rationale is accumulated prior to the metamorphosis taking place. The more native it is for one to think bullheadedly despite a metamorphosis, the less malleable they will tend to be. Oddly, "malleability" ultimately depends on recognizing what's always been there.
Very nice thoughts ginkgo. So one must expose themselves to a lack of thought to be able to change core inclinations because the mind justifies the preferences. How about attraction ginkgo?

G

Ginkgo

How about attraction ginkgo?

Attraction? Honestly, if an individual were to transcend every complication their ego harbors, they would likely become quite aimless. In a sense, they would be attracted to everything with mild intensity.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Attraction? Honestly, if an individual were to transcend every complication their ego harbors, they would likely become quite aimless. In a sense, they would be attracted to everything with mild intensity.
And so one can laser compress an attraction and fade off the others?

G

Ginkgo

And so one can laser compress an attraction and fade off the others?

I would guess that transference would be very easy and almost undetectable to the individual. Laser compress? Only if they are subject to more personal problems to solve, I suppose.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would guess that transference would be very easy and almost undetectable to the individual. Laser compress? Only if they are subject to more personal problems to solve, I suppose.
If you lost all your preferences except one, and that particular one is inflated to something that becomes the only thing you care about in life it could help in certain situations.

G

Ginkgo

If you lost all your preferences except one, and that particular one is inflated to something that becomes the only thing you care about in life it could help in certain situations.

It would help in all situations. If it was only one, then it would be universal. For instance, one might always uphold their ideals in politics, but never believe in the way political agendas are carried out.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It would help in all situations. If it was only one, then it would be universal. For instance, one might always uphold their ideals in politics, but never believe in the way political agendas are carried out.
Yes, I imagine practices like hypnosis are supposed to help in these things. I wonder if I can get a hypnotherapist to make me dislike some of the shows I watch.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Ah, but do your preferences change as you do so? I imagine we're talking about suddenly liking tomatoes after not liking them beforehand. That change would take its place over a period of time and likely not within the second. Do you hold thought that you can like any object or situation you highly dislike if you work to do so?
I've had immediate preference changes yes. It's not regular but it happens.

I don't know about gaining a like for any and every situation as a rule. If they mesh up with what you can change then it's probably possible to do all of them, but it all depends.

I think you can always try, and some times it works, and some times it doesn't.

Edit: as an aside I have a personality disorder that can lead to fragmentation and compartmentalizing so that may have something to do with my mysterious abilities to change so quickly. So I might be unusual in that regard.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Start a thread about it.
Ah, one day ginkgo. I've reached a thread making quota for the month,

I've had immediate preference changes yes. It's not regular but it happens.

I don't know about gaining a like for any and every situation as a rule. If they mesh up with what you can change then it's probably possible to do all of them, but it all depends.

I think you can always try, and some times it works, and some times it doesn't.
So many possible ways to get an individual to scope certain goals by increasing and decreasing certain preferences. It would be nice to be able to consciously control.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=6071]Oakysage[/MENTION] that's because 95% of your neurological connections form by age 5

W

WALMART

If what i perceive of what you state is true,

anything, anytime.