• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

how do you react when someone yells at you

MyCupOfTea

MBTI Type
INxP
I'm yelled & cursed at (in my face) and sometimes physically threated on the daily at work (the nature of my job). This stuff just rolls off 98% of the time as I stare blankly at them and calmly perform my duties. Which sometimes is it's own juicy reward, watching them have a nuclear melt down due to their inability to shift my emotional state or control theirs.
Quite a job you have! :shock:

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Quite a job you have! :shock:

"Nesecity is the father of invention.". It' amazing how we adapt/cope : . BTW it's not my coworkers that are like that. Most of my coworkets are moderately to high 'rated' assholes, however, hehe. It usually takes me 2-3 hours to decompress after work. Music helps lots.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It really depends on the person, but I don't think I've cried while or after being yelled at since I was in like elementary school. Sometimes I'll just stare at them and not say anything and keep my words limited, other times I'll fight back.

Most of the time I'll probably roll my eyes or argue with them but just like ten decibels quieter.

Nyltiak

MBTI Type
INTJ
I just keep quiet and stare at them until they wind down before responding. It usually works pretty well and it gives me time to fully understand what they're upset about.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
It's been a while since I've been yelled at, and yelled at by a sane person. I really cannot remember the last time I was yelled at outside of childhood and jobs involving customer service.

If someone sane yelled at my today, I would be genuinely shocked. I don't conduct myself in ways that would entail being yelled at, and I don't work in an environment where yelling would be considered acceptable behaviour.

Anyway, remembering my customer service days, it's often immediately obvious that the yeller is having a bad day/week/life. If you're yelling and I have to stop and assess whether you have a legitimate reason to be yelling, then you do not have a legitimate reason, and yelling without reason lacks dignity so I go into calm and receptive mode. I will try and get the yeller to calm down, mainly by not responding with more noise. Instinctively, I feel a need to balance the situation, so I react by trying to calm the situation, figure out what they want, and send them away in a subdued state. In my experience, yellers are often in some kind of distress, usually mild but sometimes acute.

On the other hand, if the yeller is one of those entitled, conceited, self-involved brats who yell because they never acquired proper manners, then I do the above, but I retract warmth and generosity and turn up the infuriatingly polite, robotic, by-the-book shtick.

If the yeller is a friend and they're trolling me, then I yell right back. If I'm in fighting trim shape, I yell out something that will embarrass them.

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:cry: why would someone yell at me?

~Curls up into a ball and rolls away into the darkness, never to be seen again.~

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If it's from out of nowhere and it's not warranted, I stay detached, say something like "Whoa, whoa, okay", and start trying to talk them down. Figuring out what exactly they're talking about, and how to convince them they're wrong.

If I saw it coming and it's not warranted, I'll probably still try to talk them down, but I will also have had some time to get angry about the situation, so it might be harder to detach.

If it's from out of nowhere and it's warranted, I'll feel shitty, let them finish yelling, and try to figure out the best way to react apologetically.

If I saw it coming and it's warranted, I'll get upset, since I'll probably have been wallowing in guilt for a while before then. I might even cry later.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It depends.

I tend to be kinda reactive so I'll probably yell back because I'd be startled and angry.

I have walked away, started laughing, or asked if they were finished when someone was yelling, too. Outside of my ex and my roommate while we were dating, haven't had a lot of yelling come my way.

I actually get yelled at or spoken to in a nasty manner quite a bit on my job. Usually right when I pick up the phone, "blah, blah, blah...this is so and so" and WHAM! I'm often the last person on the end of a series of run-arounds or don't know who else to call and they're pretty pissed off by that point. I don't take it personally, empathize with their frustration and tell them I'll do my best to help them out. I don't really feel "yelled at" in those situations, just a kind of witness to frustration, so I guess it doesn't count.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hearing about people getting yelled at on the job, I'm now very curious about what this actually looks and sounds like. Are we talking Al Pacino yelling?

noyo

Depends.
If it's an argument or I am in a particularly polemic mood I will yell back or tell them to chill down. Otherwise, I will just ignore them.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I normally argue and generally have the last word.

However, that depends on the situation, and the "why the hell is he/she yelling at me".

If I am wrong (which does not happen very often:D) I'll say I was wrong. For example if I hurt someone without intending to do so, I will generously be sorry.

If I think the person is being unfair to me, he/she'd better run as fast as he/she can or batwoman will kick his/her ass !

:bats:

Kas

Fabula rasa
I don't understand shouting. There is always better way to communicate something.

I'm usually calm (posing to be calm at least) for different reasons:
1) to not give sb satisfaction
2) because I freeze
3) because I know that I'm can't really control my emotions so if I show any of them it may end up being outburst
4) because sb is wrong

In the fourth case I don't care so much. In the three other I care a lot, I may cry or shout back too, it depends. But usually I’m being calm even if later I break.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Generally I don't get yelled at by anyone except my father or sister. When they yell at me, I usually yell back, get frustrated with our terrible communication, and storm off to my room to cry. Although once, my manager at work when I worked in customer service got fed up with me. I couldn't find a binder I desperately needed to help a customer (well, vendor. It was the vendor book. They have to have it to sign in and out). The customer service desk at work was always a fucking mess that I gave up on organizing because the next time I'd come in, my fellow coworkers, employees, and managers would just treat it like a trash can and move everything again. He helped me find it, and SLAMMED it down on the desk, in front of me and my line of customers. It made a really loud thud. And he... I guess it wasn't exactly yelling, but a high raised and clearly annoyed voice, "Open your eyes next time and find it yourself." This really bothered me. We're always pushed to be fast and I might not have been able to find it for 10 minutes without help, and there is never more than one customer service person working at a time (they don't want to pay multiple people). When we have problems, we're supposed to call the manager over. I had a problem. I understand why it frustrated him--he has a lot of people to help, like the cashiers. But his reaction shook me up so much that I could barely do my job after that because I was holding back tears.

tl;dr If it's family I yell back then cry in my room, if it's a stranger I freeze up and can't move or react and feel the strong need to run away and hide and cry.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Usually-I yell back. I feel their anger which starts to make it become a part of mine. It's like poison.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I usually try to calm them down by remaining calm myself. Being yelled at doesn't often effect my emotions negatively if I know I didn't do anything wrong, but if I know I did something wrong, especially if it was unintentional clumsiness and I'm yelled at for it, I tend to take it much harder than a normal person would, and it can sometimes hurt my self-esteem if I stew on the experience for too long since I can be very critical of myself.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Over 90% percent of times when someone yelled at me was simply because they could not keep their shit togather over the reasons that have nothing to do with me.
Therefore I usually just roll my eyes, listen to the rant and then I go away.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I shut right the fuck down.

Jade Heart

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
It depends- if it's someone I hold dearly, I usually look at them silently, maybe with a sad face- I don't know what I look like when that happens. If it's an acquaintance, I snap back at them with the assertion that there's no need to yell when I can understand them fine from a normal speaking volume. If it's someone I don't know, I glare at them or give them a wide eyed puppy look, depending on my mood.

Ozzy

MBTI Type
GONE
Enneagram
5/6
I always smile back. Especially when I'm the one yelling.