User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

This happens so seldom to me that when it does, I am momentarily taken aback, but that reaction is fleeting. Remaining distanced and in control of my own reactions is second nature, so I can usually switch right away to listening to the tirade to see whether there is any actual content in it, as opposed to venting or insults. One of my favorite questions for testy people, yelling or not, is "what would you like to do about it?" This usually stops them in their tracks because I am taking them seriously and not just yelling back, and challenging them to describe what they want, and not just rant about something they don't like.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

If it's random yelling and I feel under pressure or in danger I usually have a flight reaction. If it's someone I know screaming and yelling in a normal situation, I either get angry and yell back reactively, or I get angry and leave in protest. I mean, who has the nerve to be such a fucking spazz? It's entitled behavior to think that anybody should give a shit about you stomping and screaming like a child, and I think it's most insulting and invalidating to deprive them of an audience, so that's my favored response.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

It rarely ever happens, the last time was a Spanish friend yelling at me on the phone almost two years ago for having talked with his girlfried about things that supposedly didn't concern her and that he thought I shouldn't bother her with (he likes to keep his life very, very private, even from his gf). At first I tend to be under shock more than anything else. The rest depends on whether they have a point or not, i.e. do I feel guilty.

If they yell without a justified reason I will try to deescalate the situation, reason with them and calm them down. I try not to take it personally.
    If I did mess up and they have good reason to be angry, I will feel like total and absolute shit for a while, but basically also apply the deescalation strategy. That means conceding fault. apologizing and trying to calm them down.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

It's mutual yelling with my brother and I.
    It comes on quickly, gets loud as hell, then it's over.
    I usually end up laughing at some point. (I think anger is funny.)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

It's really funny when you're not in any way emotionally invested. Like someone at work coming in to have their lil public tantrum in hopes of getting their way like a child.

It's beyond ridiculous to see a grown man behave in such a way.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    do you freeze, do you yell back, what do you do?

I freeze, unable to do anything, and than I cry- I wish i would stop this, but no matter how hard i try this is what happens.
    It depends on a lot of things like if I've been having a bad day or not, who they are, if I've had any sleep but I dont freeze and I dont generally mirror any aggression towards me right away.

I will generally go into professional mode, take breath, relax myself physically if I can, use some verbal de-escalation techniques if I can, keep the person in the same space as me if I can and its safe to do so, sit down and see if I can bring them back to baseline, if its going to escalate out of control I'm either going to remove myself, remove any weapons/manage the environment as best I can, put distance between myself and them, all the good personal safety stuff. If its going to be totally unavoidable and I'm going to get attacked I'll consider whether I have to really fight for it or not.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I should have said with awesomeness. Although that's pretty much how I react to anything.

When I'm king I'll just have them sent to America to live in one of the capitalist communes see how they like that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    do you freeze, do you yell back, what do you do?
    I was raised in a rather spartan environment; Ten-hut!, but like disco said in the beginning of the thread, it depends on which loudmouth it is. I really don't like it when people yell at me in response to my usually logical arguments.

Edit; I try to avoid getting trampled on.

My ESTJ can be a bit yell-happy. I tend to freeze. Their vision is based on movement.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I freeze like a rabbit in headlights
    “How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.”
    ― Anne Frank
    "How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on... when in your heart you begin to understand... there is no going back?" - Lord of the Rings
    "I'll keep you locked in my head until we meet again " Pink - Who Knew