123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default Why Spend Large Amounts of Time Around a Philosophy or World View You Hate?

Okay so I'm a regular member of several personality theory forums and also of a European cultural preservation forum, as well as peeking in on and observing some extremist nationalist forums, and here's what I don't get:

On every forum, there is a small cluster of members, or perhaps just one REALLY FUCKING LOUD MEMBER, who hates the ideas espoused by the forum.

And I'm talking about a regularly participating member, not occasional voices of dissent. Now I like to disagree with people, but if I thought personality theory was bullshit, I'd frankly find another place to hang out. Same with European cultural preservation, which is why I don't regularly visit the more hateful, nationalist forums - because I don't agree with that world view, why would I continually subject myself to that group.

Why would you spend LARGE AMOUNTS OF TIME on a forum where you hated the basic idea behind the creation of the forum?

MBTI
    STUF

Perhaps you'd like to shepherd people away from ideals you disagree with.
    Whoops.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

On a personality theory forum, though, it doesn't seem like it's even a dire issue...like why even waste your breath ...and I honestly find it rude. Like I don't go over to Keirsey's forum and fight with him or the members of that forum, and tell him I hate his theory. What's the point?

And with a forum like Stormfront, they have an area for dissent and disagreeing, but the odds of converting anyone with the IQ level (or mental illness) who would hang out at a place like Stormfront are slim to none; typically even the smarter hardcore fascists tend to end up on other forums.

I don't know, I don't understand it, like if I invaded a conservative Christian Republican web site, for example, I'd be ashamed of myself for trolling their forum, even though I'll openly disagree and even sometimes insult these people in more "neutral" areas.

Maybe despite all of my disagreeableness, I believe that people should be free to have their own space to have their different ideology, I don't know.

MBTI
    STUF

It would make less sense if they went to other places to argue about the topic. Disagreeing with the topic of discussion is still part of the discussion. You've made 20,000 posts here and I can only assume that a majority of those are disagreeing with people.
    Whoops.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Right - but in a neutral space. I don't have 20,000 posts that say "why do you guys even believe in typology." And many of my posts are about type theory - even if I disagree with one theory or another. In fact I've been criticized on this forum for making things about type. On a typology forum.

It seems boring to me, on top of everything else, to hang out somewhere for long periods of time and talk about something you profess to not have an interest in.

Ginkgo

Why does an angry white guy live in a neighborhood full of "rotten hooligans"? Cuz he knows he's gonna die soon anyway.

Or at least that's what Lark's avatar would have us believe.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Path to enlightenment:

#1 Say ''that's not type related'' to whatever theory people come up with.
    #2 Once every semester, make a thread mentioning that you've just had an epiphany: typology is all about irrelevant labels and people are more than just numbers and letters.
    #3 After that, take a month-long break. Then come back with a new typing.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Ginkgo

@Marmie Dearest: Hitler knew he was going to die.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Maybe they just want attention?

Honestly, for some people negative attention is better than no attention.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I totally agree. It's disrespectful and a waste of time. I came across one such guy on PerC who kept posting with kind of a negative attitude, but it seemed like he was just looking for people to explain it to him in a scientific way. He was going about it all wrong though, and I told him so.