• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why Spend Large Amounts of Time Around a Philosophy or World View You Hate?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Okay so I'm a regular member of several personality theory forums and also of a European cultural preservation forum, as well as peeking in on and observing some extremist nationalist forums, and here's what I don't get:

On every forum, there is a small cluster of members, or perhaps just one REALLY FUCKING LOUD MEMBER, who hates the ideas espoused by the forum.

And I'm talking about a regularly participating member, not occasional voices of dissent. Now I like to disagree with people, but if I thought personality theory was bullshit, I'd frankly find another place to hang out. Same with European cultural preservation, which is why I don't regularly visit the more hateful, nationalist forums - because I don't agree with that world view, why would I continually subject myself to that group.

Why would you spend LARGE AMOUNTS OF TIME on a forum where you hated the basic idea behind the creation of the forum?

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
Perhaps you'd like to shepherd people away from ideals you disagree with.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
On a personality theory forum, though, it doesn't seem like it's even a dire issue...like why even waste your breath ...and I honestly find it rude. Like I don't go over to Keirsey's forum and fight with him or the members of that forum, and tell him I hate his theory. What's the point?

And with a forum like Stormfront, they have an area for dissent and disagreeing, but the odds of converting anyone with the IQ level (or mental illness) who would hang out at a place like Stormfront are slim to none; typically even the smarter hardcore fascists tend to end up on other forums.

I don't know, I don't understand it, like if I invaded a conservative Christian Republican web site, for example, I'd be ashamed of myself for trolling their forum, even though I'll openly disagree and even sometimes insult these people in more "neutral" areas.

Maybe despite all of my disagreeableness, I believe that people should be free to have their own space to have their different ideology, I don't know.

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
It would make less sense if they went to other places to argue about the topic. Disagreeing with the topic of discussion is still part of the discussion. You've made 20,000 posts here and I can only assume that a majority of those are disagreeing with people.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Right - but in a neutral space. I don't have 20,000 posts that say "why do you guys even believe in typology." And many of my posts are about type theory - even if I disagree with one theory or another. In fact I've been criticized on this forum for making things about type. On a typology forum.

It seems boring to me, on top of everything else, to hang out somewhere for long periods of time and talk about something you profess to not have an interest in.

G

Ginkgo

Why does an angry white guy live in a neighborhood full of "rotten hooligans"? Cuz he knows he's gonna die soon anyway.

Or at least that's what Lark's avatar would have us believe.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Path to enlightenment:

#1 Say ''that's not type related'' to whatever theory people come up with.
#2 Once every semester, make a thread mentioning that you've just had an epiphany: typology is all about irrelevant labels and people are more than just numbers and letters.
#3 After that, take a month-long break. Then come back with a new typing.

G

Ginkgo

[MENTION=6877]Marmie Dearest[/MENTION]: Hitler knew he was going to die.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Maybe they just want attention? :huh:

Honestly, for some people negative attention is better than no attention.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I totally agree. It's disrespectful and a waste of time. I came across one such guy on PerC who kept posting with kind of a negative attitude, but it seemed like he was just looking for people to explain it to him in a scientific way. He was going about it all wrong though, and I told him so.

Mole

Permabanned
Some like to preach to the converted and some don't.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's mostly to understand. Taking a contrary position in a discussion, either genuine or not, is a good way to elucidate a world view for oneself.
As far as internet forums go, however, it's often about the community.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is some middleground between preaching to the converted and partycrashing every single mass in your neighborhood Catholic church to burn an effigy of Benedict XVI.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOqn8FxuyFs"].[/YOUTUBE]

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is some middleground between preaching to the converted and partycrashing every single mess in your neighborhood Catholic church to burn an effigy of Benedict XVI.

Was this supposed to say "mass" or do you just think that mass is a mess?

midnightstar

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Maybe some people do it out of sheer boredom :shrug:

Last edited:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I don't understand it either. I figure these people just don't feel right unless they feel like the world is against them. The best way to achieve this environment is to find a special interest forum they disagree with and set up camp.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Whats so wrong with having the World against you ? I mean the World wages war about bullshit reasons, in the Third World people starve to Death everyday, while we throw the second 20er chicken mcnuggets bucket in the trash bin. People still havent understood that ecology is more important than economics. People believe in some sort of God and go to war about it. People get breast operations just to look more uglier than before and people think they are alone in the universe, cause they are special or something.

I dunno but I can go on all day, enough reasons to be against

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=4109]entropie[/MENTION] Precisely, there's enough real BS to be against. Even if MBTI were insidious (and of course it is, that's why I'm here), it still ranks way below the chicken nugget in world influence. In a worse case scenario, even sillier than a minority people who falsely classify other people is the people who have decided to spend a significant amount of time dogging them. But, whatever, I do silly worthless things, but I don't mind admitting that they are silly and worthless.