User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Why Spend Large Amounts of Time Around a Philosophy or World View You Hate?

right on the left wing Array Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    True. However, there are deeper areas of analysis that start from counterfactuals. It starts to break into epistemological questions - how is it that I know this is true? How is it that I can know this is true? Eventually, you may get to the point where it seems that any sort of functioning in this universe requires a suspension of disbelief on some level.

Possibly, but one of the important things going on there is the understanding that you think something to be one way, while the possibility still exists for it to be another. Ultimately, you cannot make any absolute claim to knowing the truth. You only can believe something based on particular evidence. That's the linkage, IMO.
    Perhaps. But then, we employ that kind of counterfactual understanding every day - it's certainly reasoning, but I'm not sure it merits the extra mantle of "critical thinking". I'm more inclined to cast creating the counterfactual as being creating the "environment" in which the real critical thinking can take place. But I think we're just arguing labels at this point really
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar

Im going to just shove a nice cliche quote in here which may or may not reflect my views:

“Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.
    Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

- Current Dalai Lama
    Although im not entirely sure of the line: "Man surprised me most about humanity"
    "An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"

… a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm

Dreaming the life Array onemoretime's Avatar
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Philosorapteuse View Post
    Perhaps. But then, we employ that kind of counterfactual understanding every day - it's certainly reasoning, but I'm not sure it merits the extra mantle of "critical thinking". I'm more inclined to cast creating the counterfactual as being creating the "environment" in which the real critical thinking can take place. But I think we're just arguing labels at this point really
    That may be true. On the other hand, I think the critical part comes where you recognize your own biases, and how they constitute a suspension of disbelief. For example, taking on faith that the information conveyed by your senses is accurate or comprehensive.

right on the left wing Array Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    That may be true. On the other hand, I think the critical part comes where you recognize your own biases, and how they constitute a suspension of disbelief. For example, taking on faith that the information conveyed by your senses is accurate or comprehensive.
    Ah yes, I'd agree that that level of analysis counts
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

Banned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Everything we love and hate is something we care about, whereas if we feel neither love nor hate, we care nothing. This is why emotions, or the affects control mankind by pulling the strings of his passions.

xxEnoMorph

Maybe to see if eventually the userbase can prove the disbeliever wrong.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Does hipsterism count?
    Hipsterism is a religion to which you got to be devout. Must be seen as in between unpopular and hated or else get excommunicated.
    -mcfrontalot

morose bourgeoisie Array
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Actually, linking critical thinking and the suspension of disbelief is a minor act of genius. It is seminal and leads to whole fields of insight and interesting new questions.

Sneering at me seems a little jeune.
    You're Seminol? I didn't know that.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by xxEnoMorph View Post
    Maybe to see if eventually the userbase can prove the disbeliever wrong.
    Is this using the logic that if that 1000 people can't make me think I'm wrong, then I must be right?

xxEnoMorph

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Is this using the logic that if that 1000 people can't make me think I'm wrong, then I must be right?
    Something like that.

The only negative scenario that can come out is the person in question is wrong but the userbase is still not capable of proving it. In that situation it's the userbase's fault and not the theory. Either way the person ends up leaving with an idea the idea is wrong. If he's wrong then at least he's not stuck around a userbase that doesn't understand it.