User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, but how many times do you need to hear the same possibility screamed at you in every thread you go into, even if the thread is not about typology, and not really tailored to the discussion in question so that it integrates rationally into it? For a period of literally a few years? What if it was someone who constantly yelled, "Red meat will lead to heart attacks!!" in any thread regardless of the topic? The point might be generally true and not a bad thing to consider, but does that change the fact how ridiculous and pointless the delivery might be?

I'm not a moron; tell me once or twice, and I'll work the idea into my thinking, if it makes sense. More than that, it just becomes white noise and headache-inducing.
    So you meant to say my pness (jokes) gives you headaches ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

right on the left wing Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I think it makes some people feel special to be a lone voice of dissent. Could be the same family of feeling as people who hate everything as soon as it becomes "mainstream" or "popular", because their identity hinges so much on being "weird" and "outcast" and "misunderstood" and a black sheep. I know people like this - have shades of it myself, which I really wish I didn't. Symptoms include insisting that a particular trait is "weird" even when it's long been mainstream and unremarkable. I Must Be Different In Some Way, Even If It's In A Crappy Way. Third cousin to a martyr complex. Perhaps when some people of this persuasion are unfortunate enough to find themselves in a friendship group that's too accepting to find them weird or outrageous no matter how they try, they seek out people who will validate their Radical Outcast Weirdo status.

</pet theory>
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    So you meant to say my pness (jokes) gives you headaches ?
    Only when you keep poking me in the face with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Philosorapteuse View Post
    I think it makes some people feel special to be a lone voice of dissent. Could be the same family of feeling as people who hate everything as soon as it becomes "mainstream" or "popular", because their identity hinges so much on being "weird" and "outcast" and "misunderstood" and a black sheep.
    That's run through my mind.

I know people on forums and IRL who define themselves by what they are opposed to, for example. It doesn't matter what it is, they just know the scripts that involve always being the odd person out -- they're not sure how to deal when they're in agreement with something. But there's also the element about needing to be the pariah or the voice in the wilderness, in order to feel like they are clearly defined and unique in the world.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Follow sports? Same thing there. You root for a team, watch the league play, love it. Then turn around get mad criticize and shit on the same league that you so happily embraced. "Oh it's rigged!!" "Stupid rules ruin the game." etc etc... *Still watches*

MBTI
    yupp

perhaps people like to complain to complain, i think thats what it is. it's like i need to complain because the world might end if i don't, stupid shoe laces! why can't we wear velcro?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    perhaps people like to complain to complain, i think thats what it is. it's like i need to complain because the world might end if i don't, stupid shoe laces! why can't we wear velcro?

FU laces, velcro FTW!!!!!1111oneoneone
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

right on the left wing Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post

FU laces, velcro FTW!!!!!1111oneoneone
    Heretic! Buckles are the one true fastening!
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Philosorapteuse View Post
    Heretic! Buckles are the one true fastening!
    I really do hate shoe laces, if my shoes have laces i tend to tie them once and slip them on and off. I only have one pair with laces the rest of my shoes velcro or slip on.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

I think a community that tolerates its critics is a healthier one. My motivation is simply that I have gotten used to the people I met when I first came here.

I think you'll find that skeptics of typology (myers-briggs, jungian functions, enneagram, socionics) are more common here than you may expect. Many of us came here because we were curious and/or going through a phase in life that lead to self-examination (the idea of personality can become important during these times).

I personally think Jung was onto something and that there is some value to archetypes. I think trait based theories lack something that type theories capture. I found it interesting to explore the topics related to this.

Now, however, I think most of typology to be BS. But I know that I've looked into it with an open mind, and have gotten a fairly thorough understanding of these topics before I formed this opinion.

I also know the types of peculiar prejudices that working from a belief of various personality theories can produce. This is probably the most harmful thing. ("I hate Fe". "Don't Fe guilt-trip me." "Ti is annoying". "Sensors are stupid." "Perceivers are lazy."...). It gives labels, and language to describe aspects of "personality" in such a way that people can pick sides and create "in-groups" and "out-groups" along lines that would be very strange to those not familiar with personality theories.

Making comments like the one above is tolerated in here, so I stay.

I went through a similar thing with evangelical Christianity. I regularly went to a bible study, for 4 years, every week. I was probably one of the most regular members to go. There were group leaders who were less consistent, and less prepared (there were assigned bible passages and little worksheets they gave out every week). I felt like I genuinely gave the ideas presented a fair shake. I listened to people's problems, prayed for them, and asked for others to pray for me. It wasn't merely an "intellectual exercise".

However, in this community, I am fairly certain, if I stated the things I believed were harmful, they would not let me stick around, so I left.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I can't speak for all of them, but taking a few examples in mind on Typology Central, like @Victor for example who does not put much value into MBTI or rather wants to point out the limitations and dangers of completely adhering to such an incomplete and subjective system. He takes the role of whispering in our ears that any one view is not neccesarily the only view. Teaching people to have consideration and recognition of views not neccesarily their own.

I find that role to be an important one in all groups/cliques that discuss the subjective.
    I agree actually. However as with anything there is a limit and a fine line.

The fine line here is the one between accurately pointing out and making aware to people's minds the discrepancies in what they might blindly believe otherwise...and just being a sad, attention seeking fool who is as mired by his/her delusions as he/she would proclaim others to be.

It's like optimism and pessimism. They are just two sides of the same coin; the only difference is pessimism likes to pretend it is somehow wiser and more intelligent.

All it really comes down to is that one wears rose-tinted spectacles and the other one wears shit-smeared sewer goggles.

The biggest delusion of all is the belief that your truth is more real than anyone elses. To me that is the core of any kind of 'critical thinking': being able to turn it on yourself just as you would do the world.

But of course there are sometimes more superficial reasons; some people just enjoy sparking a bit of outrage or attacking the commonly held views of a majority. It's easiest of all on a forum like this where the focus and views are centrified on one particular range of subjects.

It's also interesting to see under what banner such a person might champion. Often it is one of empiricism; that the measurement, observation and comparison of testable realities is superior to all other methods and defeats that which cannot be wholly tested and if it cannot be tested or measured then it is nothing more than a childish fantasy. Other times it is the 'end is nigh' style, where those in a forum are considered to be deluded to their own detriment, blind to the folly into which they would gladly throw themselves and thus here our saviour makes his entrance, slaying falsity and self-denial with his mental blade of truth.

It's a fun world...
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.