• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The biggest divide in psychology?

Lark

What do you think it is?

I think its between cognitivism and analytical schools, does cognition rule and cause affect or vice versa or some combination of the two simultaneously?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe it's because I'm a sociologist and not a psychologist, but it's looking more and more to me like it's inheritance vs acquisition, what the layman would crudely refer to as nature vs nurture.

Lark

Maybe it's because I'm a sociologist and not a psychologist, but it's looking more and more to me like it's inheritance vs acquisition, what the layman would crudely refer to as nature vs nurture.

That's a big dividing line too.

Although I would say inheritance or acquisition of what? Development is a dynamic process of the two, at least basic attachment styles, language, relating and other skills require that acquisition is made possible by the satisfaction of inherited drives or needs.

The question then is whether you inherit/acquire cognitive abilities or affect regulation and the chicken and egg relationship of each to the other arises again. Just my thinking anyway.

Lark

I wonder, do you think there is a hard and fast division between those disciplines?

What about micro sociology?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wonder, do you think there is a hard and fast division between those disciplines?

What about micro sociology?

In theory, trying to understand what one person is thinking is psychology, and trying to figure out how three or more people interact is sociology. The joke is that studying two people is some kind of mysterious limbo. :laugh:

But really, the difference between the two is generally more quantitative than qualitative. It's not that one does something and the other doesn't, but that one does something more and the other does it less. For example, neither one owns cognition or behavior, but it just follows from practicality that psychology takes a cognitive approach more often and sociology takes a behavioral approach more often. This is because really trying to intensively dig at the cognitive activity of a whole group of interacting people is rather demanding, and observing the behavior of a single person in isolation is rather limited. Really, though, it is more like I have a difference focus of expertise and/or come from a different cultural background than a psychologist.

midnightstar

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think the biggest divide in psychology is learning versus inheritance ie whether the majority of behaviour is learnt or inherited.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
definitely behaviorism and psychoanalysis

I think its between cognitivism and analytical schools, does cognition rule and cause affect or vice versa or some combination of the two simultaneously?

imo those two go nicely hand in hand

Cognitive Psychology and Neurobiology.

they are close enough to merge into cognitive neuro psychology.

G

Ginkgo

definitely behaviorism and psychoanalysis

imo those two go nicely hand in hand

they are close enough to merge into cognitive neuro psychology.

Eh... I thought we were being modern here. Psychoanalysis is few and far between these days.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Eh... I thought we were being modern here. Psychoanalysis is few and far between these days.

psychoanalysis and other psychoanalytic approaches(which i was referring to in earlier post) are doing really well in many countries, even if something isnt common in your country, it doesent mean that its history or isnt common in other parts of the world.

G

Ginkgo

psychoanalysis and other psychoanalytic approaches(which i was referring to in earlier post) are doing really well in many countries, even if something isnt common in your country, it doesent mean that its history or isnt common in other parts of the world.

I'm glad to hear that.

Lark

Which came first the thought or the feeling and whatever you say puts you in one of two irreconcilable camps. Cognitivism or Psycho-analysis. Also Satre was a totally vane and dull intellectual and his writing on the topic is a pale and poor reflection of "stoic psychology" or simpler cognitivism.

Also computers are never going to be people. Terminators dont feel.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I've heard behaviourism was pretty big on the US during its conception due to the cultural/industrial emphasis on problem-solving and efficiency, so it'd make sense that psychoanalysis is less popular.

Where I'm from, Freudian school-based approaches seem to be pretty commonplace - Klein, Winnicott and all that jazz.