User Tag List

12311 Last

Enneagram
    4w5

Question Do you think people with Down Syndrome look funny?

I've learned to be "None judgemental", especially towards people who have no choice over their condition.. Perhaps one of the reason that it came natural to me was having a sister who has born with Down Syndrome and often tends to draw some "looks" from the strangers...

So I was wondering ,how do you guys ( honestly) react when you see a person with Down Syndrome ? (i.e on media, in person,..etc)??

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Of course they do, and humans are programmed to that which looks genetically damaged in a way that is completely natural. It's not even about "social acceptability" it's about something innate.

However, people can be socialized to respond with kindness to people with visible illnesses.

I don't stare at people with DS because they're so common, and its so easy to spot with the facial features that it's something I've easily identified and noticed with very little shock or concern since early childhood. I don't think it's been a big deal to me since I was a small child; just like anything in life, once it's been accepted as something that happens in life which I can classify, then it affects me a lot less, unless it impacts me personally.

I think people with DS are just people, but I've honestly always been uncomfortable around people who fall within the mental retardation spectrum for some reason, though people with severe mental illness don't have this effect on me at all unless they're dangerous.

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Of course they do, and humans are programmed to that which looks genetically damaged in a way that is completely natural. It's not even about "social acceptability" it's about something innate.

However, people can be socialized to respond with kindness to people with visible illnesses.

I don't stare at people with DS because they're so common, and its so easy to spot with the facial features that it's something I've easily identified and noticed with very little shock or concern since early childhood. I don't think it's been a big deal to me since I was a small child; just like anything in life, once it's been accepted as something that happens in life which I can classify, then it affects me a lot less, unless it impacts me personally.

I think people with DS are just people, but I've honestly always been uncomfortable around people who fall within the mental retardation spectrum for some reason, though people with severe mental illness don't have this effect on me at all unless they're dangerous.
    I appreciate the honesty..I am not having any issue with looking twice when you see a person who looks different, as I have when I see a blind person or person who maybe schizophernic....

Wondering about the thinking process of someone (adult) who looks at a person with DS and laughs, or make a face ,....You dont have to be "Nice", not to do that .....since she/he didnt choose to have an extra chromosome (a copy of chromsome 21)...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

I typically have a dilemma with anyone who has a visibly handicap where I don't want to seem to be staring but I also don't want to make it seem like I'm trying to avoid looking at them. They don't make me feel uncomfortable but I worry about making them or their families feel uncomfortable. That is really the stressor for me, trying to make sure I'm treating them respectfully.

Enneagram
    4w5

Also based on personal exp being around them ( not just my sister), they are kind, gentle and most have certain amount of intelligence ( i.e good memory, talented in artistic expression , can take care of their own hygine,.. etc ). Perhpas there is certain amount of "unknowness" associated with them....

Enneagram
    4w5

@ Pseudo

I understand your dilemma ... looking at them perhaps longer than usual,.. its OK and as marmie dearest puts "innate" and wont make them uncomfortable..and the family is not in denial either.. I am mainly talking about long stares,... and making faces...

Yes, they look funny. No, I wouldn't react visibly because it's common enough and they didn't ask to be born that way. However, I do view them as different, and yes, I do pity them for it. It would be naive to suggest that those things wouldn't inevitably colour my reactions.

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    Yes, they look funny. No, I wouldn't react visibly because it's common enough and they didn't ask to be born that way. However, I do view them as different, and yes, I do pity them for it. It would be naive to suggest that those things wouldn't inevitably colour my reactions.
    Why Funny? Let me try to be as unbiased...they have a pair of eye, a nose ..... infact , most are cute, have a great skin and nose that I kill for... Do you find their look Funny bc of them being different , or bc you never have been personally interacted with one??

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Darya View Post
    I appreciate the honesty..I am not having any issue with looking twice when you see a person who looks different, as I have when I see a blind person or person who maybe schizophernic....

Wondering about the thinking process of someone (adult) who looks at a person with DS and laughs, or make a face ,....You dont have to be "Nice", not to do that .....since she/he didnt choose to have an extra chromosome (a copy of chromsome 21)...
    Yeah I'm not sure how this happens, especially in adults who seem otherwise intelligent, educated, and even socially sensitive to a degree. I can think of two IxTJs right off the top of my head who seem to think down's syndrome, or at least the appearance or suggestion of it, is funny.

But you know how there's a thin line between love and hate? There's a thin line between what is funny and disturbing in the mind. And maybe adults who laugh or feel compelled to make jokes about it are somehow more disturbed by Down's Syndrome for whatever reason.

I know I laugh at immature things sometimes, like when my friend's four year old declares that a male dog "has his period" or when she takes a pair of her mother's bikini panties and puts them on, with the sides of the panties hitched up over the shoulders, like she's wearing a sling-shot leotard.

Quote Originally Posted by Darya View Post
    Why Funny? Let me try to be as unbiased...they have a pair of eye, a nose ..... infact , most are cute, have a great skin and nose that I kill for... Do you find it Funny bc of them being different , or bc you never have been personally interact with one??
    I took funny to mean "out of the norm", certainly not funny as in something I'd laugh at.

I've interacted with several people with Down's, it's not unfamiliar to me.