• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you think people with Down Syndrome look funny?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'd say this is largely to do with the individual teaching, their skillset and understanding.
Each has their own challenges in a world where they are not catered to on a whole sense.

I do not think that children/babies/seeds (whatever your preferred definition) should be aborted purely on the basis that they have downs syndrome. However i do believe it is the parents right as long as careful deliberation is used and it's not just an alternative to birth control.

I have experience with lots of individuals with many of those mentioned above and close personal experience of one particular individual with downs syndrome who lived next door to my father.
Yes it is difficult for the family but i do not think, in hindsight, they would have chosen not to have him. Unlike several posters here i try not to judge on their basis of what intellect is.
I actually believe we have something to learn from people with down syndrome and thsi thread is a fantastic example of what that is.

I knew I liked you, I was trying to put into words my feelings, and you did so eloquently.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And Darya, if you just wanted us to make you feel good about your situation, you should've told us before. If I knew you had a sister with DS, I'd have ignored the thread.

She said that in the first post....

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
She said that in the first post....
You're right, I hadn't read very carefully. My bad.
I apologize, [MENTION=15833]Darya[/MENTION] . You didn't have to hear that. I can't play hypocrite and say that I have changed my views though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I appreciate the honesty..I am not having any issue with looking twice when you see a person who looks different, as I have when I see a blind person or person who maybe schizophernic....

Yeah, I've felt bad earlier in life because I'm the sort who is curious about everything. I want to stare, in order to collect information and understand things better... yet I know such observation is not taken well by others and can be seen as socially inept. I also don't know whether to ask questions or not, again because people have such a variety of responses to it; some people just want to be left alone, some just want you to ask, there is no "safe" response. And the last thing I want to do is make someone else feel uncomfortable or intrude into their space. This can be inhibiting; I want to engage and be supportive, but I'm always uncertain of a particular individual's expectations and it leaves me floundering a bit.

When I went to high school, one of the other girls in my class had a younger brother with Downs Syndrome. He was in the choir. It was so interesting to me, because I thought some of the DS issues resulted in an inability to communicate his ideas clearly but not necessarily that he wasn't having a host of thoughts and feelings underneath it all. I just couldn't figure out what was going on inside, which is something I like to do with people in general so I can understand them. The choir was very accepting of him without being pandering. When he got excited, he would do a lot of "body bobs," and emotions (like pleasure) came out very large and rather raw.

I wasn't close to the girl or I might have asked her more about it. She was a bit withdrawn but still protective of her brother.

he died probably about 5-8 years ago (?), I'd heard.... (I'm in my early 40's).

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
Full honesty here.

I've been exposed to people with down syndrome on and off during my life. I feel for what the difficulties they must have to face in their daily lives, but I've never felt pity for them. They are people just like us, and many are far more kind and innocent than the vast majority of "normal" people I've had the misfortune of knowing.

But I've never been able to figure out how to talk to them.

My problem is that I'm always caught up in my own head, which is always in hyperdrive, pouring over and channelling out a never-ending stream of consciousness. I don't know what they call it, but that's not important; I can't shut down the way I think, and it's tied to how I talk to people and outwardly express myself.

You can probably figure why this would make talking to a down-syndrome person difficult. Does anyone with experience with them have any advice that could help? Because I wish I could.

Darya

Enneagram
4w5
You're right, I hadn't read very carefully. My bad.
I apologize, [MENTION=15833]Darya[/MENTION] . You didn't have to hear that. I can't play hypocrite and say that I have changed my views though.

Thanks for your apology, Even though it was a bit upsetting to hear that but by posting this thread, I prepared myself for all responses. I appreciate your controversial response as well. No hard feelings..:happy2:.

Edit. i value authencity more than all.... Keep being authentic.

Starry

I've learned to be "None judgemental", especially towards people who have no choice over their condition.. Perhaps one of the reason that it came natural to me was having a sister who has born with Down Syndrome and often tends to draw some "looks" from the strangers...

So I was wondering ,how do you guys ( honestly) react when you see a person with Down Syndrome ? (i.e on media, in person,..etc)??

Has someone asked or has wondered why this is in the NT section yet? Totally no big deal...but the OP has their type listed as INFJ so... Are you soliciting answers from NTs?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thaks for apology, Even though it was a bit upsetting to hear that but by posting this thread, I prepared myself for all responses. I appreciate your contriversial response as well. No hard feelings..:happy2:..
:hug: You're a good person. Your sister is lucky to have you.

Ok, that's it. I have a badass image to keep.

Darya

Enneagram
4w5
:
:hug: You're a good person. Your sister is lucky to have you.
Ok, that's it. I have a badass image to keep.

There is nothing more courageous than what you just did. You are an evolved INTP and a good person. For this , I thank you

:hug:

Darya

Enneagram
4w5
:
Has someone asked or has wondered why this is in the NT section yet? Totally no big deal...but the OP has their type listed as INFJ so... Are you soliciting answers from NTs?

Good question, since I am new , was wonderting if its me who has to choose a proper category for my threads or some "Forum God" who does it??

:unsure:

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:

Good question, since I am new , was wonderting if its me who has to choose a proper category for my threads or some "Forum God" who does it??

:unsure:

It is usually assumed the OP will start their thread in the correct section. But I can move it for you, no problem. :)

Darya

Enneagram
4w5
Full honesty here.

I've been exposed to people with down syndrome on and off during my life. I feel for what the difficulties they must have to face in their daily lives, but I've never felt pity for them. They are people just like us, and many are far more kind and innocent than the vast majority of "normal" people I've had the misfortune of knowing.
But I've never been able to figure out how to talk to them.

My problem is that I'm always caught up in my own head, which is always in hyperdrive, pouring over and channelling out a never-ending stream of consciousness. I don't know what they call it, but that's not important; I can't shut down the way I think, and it's tied to how I talk to people and outwardly express myself.

You can probably figure why this would make talking to a down-syndrome person difficult. Does anyone with experience with them have any advice that could help? Because I wish I could.

Based on personal exprience, people with DS tend to be very friendly so naturally, they truly appreciate warmth and friendliness even from strangers. Even if there is not an opportunity for a lenghty conversation, you can smile at them, compliments them for their action or look, and appreciate them if they are providing any service as they like to feel needed as all of us...

Since I am an INFJ myself can completelty relate to your comment of being in your own hea. The good news is that my sister perhaps better than most people is aware of this quality,and knows wheh is the best time to approach me,... since she is a huge music fan,( she remembers the lyrics of everything she listens to ) we tend to listen to music together or discuss her favorite T.V shows... Also I try not to speak to her like a child, yet I am mindful of her limitations as well. I like to think that she appreciates when I have somewhat serious conversation with her. Thanks for caring enough to ask this question..

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
We're the only species that try to save life that's not self-sustaining.
We could be exchanging a useless person for a person that's gonna find the cure for the HIV.
The world is already overpopulated. We need to allocate resources wisely.
I don't expect anyone to agree with me. I was supposed to be a spartan. Something went wrong.

We can exchange people for others now?? OMG I have a few people I want to try that with.

OT:
I feel bad for the family but I know DS people are usually pretty happy and enjoyable.

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
Based on personal exprience, people with DS tend to be very friendly so naturally, they truly appreciate warmth and friendliness even from strangers. Even if there is not an opportunity for a lenghty conversation, you can smile at them, compliments them for their action or look, and appreciate them if they are providing any service as they like to feel needed as all of us...
Yeah, I've never been too good at the warmth thing. There's probably my problem.

Thanks for the advice though. It's appreciated.

Darya

Enneagram
4w5
Yeah, I've never been too good at the warmth thing. There's probably my problem.

Thanks for the advice though. It's appreciated.
Well, your post seems warm to me. really. You dont have to be cheesy warm... Everyone has their own way of expressing compassion. People with DS detect who is phony and who is for real. So please be who you are and they we'll see it. Promise you.:)

midnightstar

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't think people with Downs syndrome look funny, in all honesty I treat them exactly as I would treat everyone else (like they're worth something which they are)

Caesar

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think some people look beautiful, some plain, some ugly, some terrifying, and some, of course, humorous. So yes, I do think people with DS whom I've met look funny.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think people with Downs syndrome look funny, in all honesty I treat them exactly as I would treat everyone else (like they're worth something which they are)

This deserves a :wubbie: