User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    I'd say this is largely to do with the individual teaching, their skillset and understanding.
    Each has their own challenges in a world where they are not catered to on a whole sense.

I do not think that children/babies/seeds (whatever your preferred definition) should be aborted purely on the basis that they have downs syndrome. However i do believe it is the parents right as long as careful deliberation is used and it's not just an alternative to birth control.

I have experience with lots of individuals with many of those mentioned above and close personal experience of one particular individual with downs syndrome who lived next door to my father.
    Yes it is difficult for the family but i do not think, in hindsight, they would have chosen not to have him. Unlike several posters here i try not to judge on their basis of what intellect is.
    I actually believe we have something to learn from people with down syndrome and thsi thread is a fantastic example of what that is.
    I knew I liked you, I was trying to put into words my feelings, and you did so eloquently.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    And Darya, if you just wanted us to make you feel good about your situation, you should've told us before. If I knew you had a sister with DS, I'd have ignored the thread.
    She said that in the first post....
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    She said that in the first post....
    You're right, I hadn't read very carefully. My bad.
    I apologize, @Darya . You didn't have to hear that. I can't play hypocrite and say that I have changed my views though.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Darya View Post
    I appreciate the honesty..I am not having any issue with looking twice when you see a person who looks different, as I have when I see a blind person or person who maybe schizophernic....
    Yeah, I've felt bad earlier in life because I'm the sort who is curious about everything. I want to stare, in order to collect information and understand things better... yet I know such observation is not taken well by others and can be seen as socially inept. I also don't know whether to ask questions or not, again because people have such a variety of responses to it; some people just want to be left alone, some just want you to ask, there is no "safe" response. And the last thing I want to do is make someone else feel uncomfortable or intrude into their space. This can be inhibiting; I want to engage and be supportive, but I'm always uncertain of a particular individual's expectations and it leaves me floundering a bit.

When I went to high school, one of the other girls in my class had a younger brother with Downs Syndrome. He was in the choir. It was so interesting to me, because I thought some of the DS issues resulted in an inability to communicate his ideas clearly but not necessarily that he wasn't having a host of thoughts and feelings underneath it all. I just couldn't figure out what was going on inside, which is something I like to do with people in general so I can understand them. The choir was very accepting of him without being pandering. When he got excited, he would do a lot of "body bobs," and emotions (like pleasure) came out very large and rather raw.

I wasn't close to the girl or I might have asked her more about it. She was a bit withdrawn but still protective of her brother.

he died probably about 5-8 years ago (?), I'd heard.... (I'm in my early 40's).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

We're the only species that try to save life that's not self-sustaining.
    I think that is part of what makes us human.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Full honesty here.

I've been exposed to people with down syndrome on and off during my life. I feel for what the difficulties they must have to face in their daily lives, but I've never felt pity for them. They are people just like us, and many are far more kind and innocent than the vast majority of "normal" people I've had the misfortune of knowing.

But I've never been able to figure out how to talk to them.

My problem is that I'm always caught up in my own head, which is always in hyperdrive, pouring over and channelling out a never-ending stream of consciousness. I don't know what they call it, but that's not important; I can't shut down the way I think, and it's tied to how I talk to people and outwardly express myself.

You can probably figure why this would make talking to a down-syndrome person difficult. Does anyone with experience with them have any advice that could help? Because I wish I could.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

Enneagram
    4w5

You're right, I hadn't read very carefully. My bad.
    I apologize, @Darya . You didn't have to hear that. I can't play hypocrite and say that I have changed my views though.
    Thanks for your apology, Even though it was a bit upsetting to hear that but by posting this thread, I prepared myself for all responses. I appreciate your controversial response as well. No hard feelings...

Edit. i value authencity more than all.... Keep being authentic.

I've learned to be "None judgemental", especially towards people who have no choice over their condition.. Perhaps one of the reason that it came natural to me was having a sister who has born with Down Syndrome and often tends to draw some "looks" from the strangers...

So I was wondering ,how do you guys ( honestly) react when you see a person with Down Syndrome ? (i.e on media, in person,..etc)??
    Has someone asked or has wondered why this is in the NT section yet? Totally no big deal...but the OP has their type listed as INFJ so... Are you soliciting answers from NTs?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Thaks for apology, Even though it was a bit upsetting to hear that but by posting this thread, I prepared myself for all responses. I appreciate your contriversial response as well. No hard feelings....
    You're a good person. Your sister is lucky to have you.

Ok, that's it. I have a badass image to keep.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Enneagram
    4w5

:
    You're a good person. Your sister is lucky to have you.
    Ok, that's it. I have a badass image to keep.
    There is nothing more courageous than what you just did. You are an evolved INTP and a good person. For this , I thank you