User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MatsNorway View Post
    You can`t conversate with dogs so you adjust your behavior. But you can still threat it with respect.
    A thread needs to be created for the most hilarious/awkward posts in broken English &/or typos.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    While we're all equally human, I guess some people feel the need to recalibrate their behaviors to given situations with different types [I use the term ''types'' loosely, here] of people. Generally, I think the effort to try to accommodate/understand on a basic human level is there, for the most part.. if that makes sense.
    Yeah, it's interesting. It's startling when I understand someone more by how they say things than what is said, bypassing language barriers. However, it's also startling to see a person maimed by autism or some other sort of debilitation when I'm suddenly forced to see our common trait; we're just trying to get by. It's even more humbling than watching a fully functioning bacteria move or a wild animal operate on pure instinct.

Of course many people re-calibrate their behaviors for social or otherwise practical reasons, but re-calibration follows from weirdness, and "weirdness" follows from ignorance in every case. It leads me to believe that people believe they are individualized when they are not. Not that we ought to conform for our similarities, but maybe that we can entertain the thought of being so self-aware that we can function according to the individual and the group, as John Nash was depicted saying in A Beautiful Mind in reference to The Nash Equilibrium.

Eat mah salad

right on the left wing Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

You can`t conversate with dogs so you adjust your behavior. But you can still threat it with respect.
    Tell me that the implied comparison there wasn't intended?
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

MBTI
    INTJ

Replace dog with kid. same stuff different wrapping.
    Epic derailment:
    wierd memory work->Tamagochi->tetris->Starcraft2->thugs->Chess->german techno->Love parade->disaster->death..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1wH2...eature=related

right on the left wing Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Replace dog with kid. same stuff different wrapping.
    I can't even decide whether that makes it better or worse. I need more caffeine.

</faith in humanity>
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Well, some people treat dogs better than humans.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTJ

Hahaha. threat... oh my.. treat.

and kid is more correct.. depending on the person ofc.

fuckn details.. :P
    Epic derailment:
    wierd memory work->Tamagochi->tetris->Starcraft2->thugs->Chess->german techno->Love parade->disaster->death..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1wH2...eature=related

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Mildly annoyed. They should have been aborted. I don't think they look funny.
    First, there was no chance or a medical technology existed for the expecting mothers( especially 30 yrs ago) to know that are pergnant with someone with DS,... Also, can you honestly say that we have the right to do that??

If the answer is Yes, what if there was a technology that would enable the expecting parents to know whether or not they were having a child who will grow up to be a narcassitst,... would you then say they should also abort their child????

BTW I am in no ways equatting people with DS with narcassists since they are lovely and kind..

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Philosorapteuse View Post
    Yes. This. Put better than I would have done. I'd never dream of staring or mocking - what a horrible way to behave. People are people, they deserve my respect and my decency. But even though I believe this, I still often feel deeply uncomfortable around people with serious mental handicaps, in a way that I don't around any other group I can think of. I always have done, since I was a kid. I just find it really difficult for some reason. Something deep-seated - it feels as though it's instinctive or primal. I don't know why. It's irrational and unfair, and I really hate that I react this way because I think it's awful. But taking care not to show it doesn't seem to have any effect on the inner reaction. I wish I knew how to change that.
    As I said, i believe some of our discomfort with regard to being around people with DS stems from a sense of unfamiliarity. In many ways people with DS have the same mannerism and mood changes that we do. In fact, sometimes i find talking to my sister (who was born wit DS) even more comforting, not just bc she does not judge or gives a lecture,... but also she has a gift to easily detect the moods of people around her ;hence she would react accordignly. For instance, when I am sad or havng a bad day, by making sure my environment is peaceful , ( telling others normal family members to to shut up ,she provides the much needed comfort for me ( INFJ). Also, she ( as many of them do) has a great ( dry) sense of humor which she uses in appropriate occasions.. I can not say that about all "normal" friends and relatives..

Enneagram
    4w5

Redherring wrote:
    ... despite all my parent's efforts to the contrary and although I could and probably would (about the role of intellect in people's lifes, what makes us human, subjective and objective aspects of quality of life, my own subjective values, the pros and cons of those standards, what I would do if I had a child with a mental disability, what I would do and how guilty I would feel if it turned out I couldn't emotionally connect to them enough because of the lacking mental connection, etc.) So yes, they can trigger uncomfortable thoughts and feelings.

So can you make a mental connection with an intelligent person who despite his/her intelligence chooses to be lazy coach potato with no dreams, aspriation and motivation, using parents' money and others' to survive, ...while intellectualizing and rationalizing his laziness... ?? love to hear your response.