User Tag List

First 12345 Last

defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Darya View Post
    Just a question.. Why do we even Pity them?? It is truly bc we undersand the hardships and discrimination they exprience -OR- bc they make us feel more "normal" and superior ??
    I try to check my privilege as often as I can. Of course I wouldn't say that I truly understand discrimination, because there's no way for me to intimately know that kind of discrimination. That doesn't mean that I automatically feel superior.
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

Johari -- Nohari

Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Sometimes I like to dissect humor and look at what makes it work. It seems like what separates the dry/black/mean humor you said you liked (and I like) from making fun of handicaps is creativity. There's nothing witty or unexpected about pointing out that someone has down syndrome or can't walk. So to me it would see these jokes are less about being funny and more about reinforcing the idea that they are better than others for not having an affliction.
    I love people with dry sense of humor just as the next person ( maybe even more and love to be sarcastic myself, however. I (try) to use my sense of humor towards someone who is "able" to have a " come back" and can make a humorous comment about me and/or my flaws.... It seems that even to be really witty and funny , you require a certain level of intelligence and sharpness, so to make fun or a joke about a person who just looks different, is just a CHEAP HUMOR..

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by raine_lynn View Post
    I try to check my privilege as often as I can. Of course I wouldn't say that I truly understand discrimination, because there's no way for me to intimately know that kind of discrimination. That doesn't mean that I automatically feel superior.
    As many stated here, I believe that people who make fun at DS (+ other different looking individuals) maybe insecure and/or have no speical quality ( or they think they dont) themselves ,hence percieving themselves to be "normal" provides them with sense of superiority and power, they otherwise lack....

defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Darya View Post
    As many stated here, I believe that people who make fun at DS (+ other different looking individuals) maybe insecure and/or have no speical quality ( or they think they dont) themselves ,hence percieving themselves to be "normal" provides them with sense of superiority and power, they otherwise lack....
    I agree, I see this quite a bit in certain circles. It's really shameful, imho.
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

Johari -- Nohari

Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

Enneagram
    4w5

It would be nice to hear from a brave member ( or a guest) who does in fact make fun of people with DS , in order to have a sample which represents the population more accurately..

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I don't find them funny in a way that would make me laugh. Their features can be arresting, as in attention-grabbing. When my son was born, he had extremely pronounced epicanthic folds and I felt a brief flash of fear but he had none of the other features. It was unexpected because it wasn't a familial trait I expected to see. So different, yes. Funny, no.

People are often unkind simply because they can be.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I don't understand why anyone would need to make fun of DS folks when they could probably find far better material for mean humor at their local Walmart.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I don't understand why anyone would need to make fun of DS folks when they could probably find far better material for mean humor at their local Walmart.

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Hopefully, these Wallmart folks are able to have a good " come back"!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

No. I think they got the short end of the stick because of things that happened and were completely out of their control, before they had a choice and it saddens me .
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'