User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Enneagram
    4w5

Yes, it is not easy for their immediate family especially the primary care taker..... But in many ways ( not trying to be an INFJish and emotional...) they bring a sense of purity and give you a new outlook towards others, life... I can say without any doubt that having my sister in my life has made a less judgmental, less rigid person... There are many "normal" good looking people who can have an opposite affect .......

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yeah I'm not sure how this happens, especially in adults who seem otherwise intelligent, educated, and even socially sensitive to a degree. I can think of two IxTJs right off the top of my head who seem to think down's syndrome, or at least the appearance or suggestion of it, is funny.

But you know how there's a thin line between love and hate? There's a thin line between what is funny and disturbing in the mind. And maybe adults who laugh or feel compelled to make jokes about it are somehow more disturbed by Down's Syndrome for whatever reason.

I know I laugh at immature things sometimes, like when my friend's four year old declares that a male dog "has his period" or when she takes a pair of her mother's bikini panties and puts them on, with the sides of the panties hitched up over the shoulders, like she's wearing a sling-shot leotard.
    Lol.. I Have looked at stupid and perhaps meaningless scenes and LAUGHED OUT LOUD .. I am not suggesting us to be perfect human being at all time.. as I am far from it...

I believe one of the main reason for people to find them automatically funny looking is the " style of parenting" thay have raised by as children. If you were taught by your father or your drunk uncle tom who saw "any handicapped" people in the street and on T.V and laugh at them, while others find him hillarious, then it is likely you grow up to do the same perhaps even unconsciously...

defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

I very rarely interact with people who have Down Syndrome in my daily life, but when I see them in public it doesn't faze me. In the media, I typically pity them, especially on internet forums, because most people are downright horrible about anything that slightly differs from the norm, or things they don't understand.
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

Johari -- Nohari

Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Darya View Post
    Why Funny? Let me try to be as unbiased...they have a pair of eye, a nose ..... infact , most are cute, have a great skin and nose that I kill for... Do you find their look Funny bc of them being different , or bc you never have been personally interacted with one??

Maybe it's that "cuteness" that people are responding to? Because the features of a DS persons face are not familiar to them, then sort of forget it's a person and think of it as just an amusing expression. Maybe the same way people find little people funny because think of them as cute little elves rather than real people? I don't know. I don't find it funny but I also don't find people just making silly faces to be all that funny.

People who make fun of handicaps send me into full on screaming-in-public-rage mode

Enneagram
    4w5

Just a question.. Why do we even Pity them?? It is truly bc we undersand the hardships and discrimination they exprience -OR- bc they make us feel more "normal" and superior ??

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Lol.. I Have looked at stupid and perhaps meaningless scenes and laughed out LOUD .. I am noy suggesting us to be perfect human being at all time.. as I am far from it...
    I belive one of the main reason for people to find them automatically funny looking is the " style of parenting" thay have raised by as children. If yoy were thought by your father or your drunk uncle tom to see "any handicapped" people in the street and on T.V and laugh at them, while others find you hillarious, then it is likely you grow up to do the same...
    Yeah I guess so, I actually have never explored this as a theory, of why some people think it's funny for someone to be sick or disabled. I've always thought it was mean, even when I was a kid, though I sometimes said rude honest things as a small child, like that my grandmother smelled bad when she was dying of cancer, I didn't necessarily find it funny.

People tend to laugh at things that embarrass them or shock them, like have you ever laughed when someone randomly hit their head really hard? And you know you'd be pissed if someone did that to you, but it's like an instinctive nervous laugh or something?

I have this sort of sense of humor where I do laugh at things that are physically incongruent (like a four year old in her mom's sexy panties, because four year olds aren't sexy and the panties don't even fit her, it actually made her step-father angry that me and the girl's mom automatically thought it was funny that her four year old did this) ...but I don't think it's funny for people to be disabled, mentally or physically.

I do laugh at mean things, though, like my verbal humor can be very "mean" and some people would wonder why I think those things are funny...and I don't know. I just remember being 9 years old and already thinking a black comedy like Clue was hilarious, and then at 15 laughing at Uncle Vanya. Some people don't get that either, how cruelty or misery can be funny.

So I'm not perfect. I just don't like to make fun of people for things they cannot help, and I think it's childish or cruel to do so.

Maybe it's a form of insecurity? Like I'm the big, normal, healthy person and I'm picking on you because you're safely not? I've noticed men do it more than women, or maybe that's my imagination.

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Maybe it's that "cuteness" that people are responding to? Because the features of a DS persons face are not familiar to them, then sort of forget it's a person and think of it as just an amusing expression. Maybe the same way people find little people funny because think of them as cute little elves rather than real people? I don't know. I don't find it funny but I also don't find people just making silly faces to be all that funny.

People who make fun of handicaps send me into full on screaming-in-public-rage mode

An interesting Post... Umm cutness= looking funny....Maybe... Just a note, they do have various other facial expressions ,as they do cry, look sad, nervous,, anxious, concerned, even flirtious..

Enneagram
    4w5

Yeah I guess so, I actually have never explored this as a theory, of why some people think it's funny for someone to be sick or disabled. I've always thought it was mean, even when I was a kid, though I sometimes said rude honest things as a small child, like that my grandmother smelled bad when she was dying of cancer, I didn't necessarily find it funny.

People tend to laugh at things that embarrass them or shock them, like have you ever laughed when someone randomly hit their head really hard? And you know you'd be pissed if someone did that to you, but it's like an instinctive nervous laugh or something?

I have this sort of sense of humor where I do laugh at things that are physically incongruent (like a four year old in her mom's sexy panties, because four year olds aren't sexy and the panties don't even fit her, it actually made her step-father angry that me and the girl's mom automatically thought it was funny that her four year old did this) ...but I don't think it's funny for people to be disabled, mentally or physically.

I do laugh at mean things, though, like my verbal humor can be very "mean" and some people would wonder why I think those things are funny...and I don't know. I just remember being 9 years old and already thinking a black comedy like Clue was hilarious, and then at 15 laughing at Uncle Vanya. Some people don't get that either, how cruelty or misery can be funny.

So I'm not perfect. I just don't like to make fun of people for things they cannot help, and I think it's childish or cruel to do so.

Maybe it's a form of insecurity? Like I'm the big, normal, healthy person and I'm picking on you because you're safely not? I've noticed men do it more than women, or maybe that's my imagination.

Thanks for your great post... I tend to be OK with children doing less than perfect acts or even be cruel.. Not love it but tend to look at their parents and question their parenting..I have many cousins who have children..... and since my sister has always been exposed to them , they see her as just another cousin, perhas they have beeen informed by their parents about her condition so thay are "knowldgeable" about her and interact with her with warmth, compassion, and acceptance..

Males SEEM to mock others more... Perhaps sense of humor ( Mockery) is the only medium through which they can mask their insecurity or even fear....Or even compassion

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Sometimes I like to dissect humor and look at what makes it work. It seems like what separates the dry/black/mean humor you said you liked (and I like) from making fun of handicaps is creativity. There's nothing witty or unexpected about pointing out that someone has down syndrome or can't walk. So to me it would see these jokes are less about being funny and more about reinforcing the idea that they are better than others for not having an affliction.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

An interesting Post... Umm cutness= looking funny....Maybe... Just a note, they do have various other facial expressions ,as they do cry, look sad, nervous,, anxious, concerned, even flirtious..
    I meant that the people who find it funny would be subconsciously thinking of the typical DS features as an expression rather than facial features. And I do think that cuteness is attached to funniness. People seem to laugh endlessly at things children do even if it's a mundane as sneezing or putting on shoes or talking.