User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Enneagram
    4w5

:
    Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    Has someone asked or has wondered why this is in the NT section yet? Totally no big deal...but the OP has their type listed as INFJ so... Are you soliciting answers from NTs?
    Good question, since I am new , was wonderting if its me who has to choose a proper category for my threads or some "Forum God" who does it??

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Darya View Post
    :

Good question, since I am new , was wonderting if its me who has to choose a proper category for my threads or some "Forum God" who does it??

It is usually assumed the OP will start their thread in the correct section. But I can move it for you, no problem.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Words of Ivory View Post
    Full honesty here.

I've been exposed to people with down syndrome on and off during my life. I feel for what the difficulties they must have to face in their daily lives, but I've never felt pity for them. They are people just like us, and many are far more kind and innocent than the vast majority of "normal" people I've had the misfortune of knowing.
    But I've never been able to figure out how to talk to them.

My problem is that I'm always caught up in my own head, which is always in hyperdrive, pouring over and channelling out a never-ending stream of consciousness. I don't know what they call it, but that's not important; I can't shut down the way I think, and it's tied to how I talk to people and outwardly express myself.

You can probably figure why this would make talking to a down-syndrome person difficult. Does anyone with experience with them have any advice that could help? Because I wish I could.
    Based on personal exprience, people with DS tend to be very friendly so naturally, they truly appreciate warmth and friendliness even from strangers. Even if there is not an opportunity for a lenghty conversation, you can smile at them, compliments them for their action or look, and appreciate them if they are providing any service as they like to feel needed as all of us...

Since I am an INFJ myself can completelty relate to your comment of being in your own hea. The good news is that my sister perhaps better than most people is aware of this quality,and knows wheh is the best time to approach me,... since she is a huge music fan,( she remembers the lyrics of everything she listens to ) we tend to listen to music together or discuss her favorite T.V shows... Also I try not to speak to her like a child, yet I am mindful of her limitations as well. I like to think that she appreciates when I have somewhat serious conversation with her. Thanks for caring enough to ask this question..

Enneagram
    4w5

:
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    It is usually assumed the OP will start their thread in the correct section. But I can move it for you, no problem.
    Thanks , so you are the forum God

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    We're the only species that try to save life that's not self-sustaining.
    We could be exchanging a useless person for a person that's gonna find the cure for the HIV.
    The world is already overpopulated. We need to allocate resources wisely.
    I don't expect anyone to agree with me. I was supposed to be a spartan. Something went wrong.
    We can exchange people for others now?? OMG I have a few people I want to try that with.

OT:
    I feel bad for the family but I know DS people are usually pretty happy and enjoyable.

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Darya View Post
    Based on personal exprience, people with DS tend to be very friendly so naturally, they truly appreciate warmth and friendliness even from strangers. Even if there is not an opportunity for a lenghty conversation, you can smile at them, compliments them for their action or look, and appreciate them if they are providing any service as they like to feel needed as all of us...
    Yeah, I've never been too good at the warmth thing. There's probably my problem.

Thanks for the advice though. It's appreciated.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Words of Ivory View Post
    Yeah, I've never been too good at the warmth thing. There's probably my problem.

Thanks for the advice though. It's appreciated.
    Well, your post seems warm to me. really. You dont have to be cheesy warm... Everyone has their own way of expressing compassion. People with DS detect who is phony and who is for real. So please be who you are and they we'll see it. Promise you.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I don't think people with Downs syndrome look funny, in all honesty I treat them exactly as I would treat everyone else (like they're worth something which they are)
    “How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.”
    ― Anne Frank
    "How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on... when in your heart you begin to understand... there is no going back?" - Lord of the Rings
    "I'll keep you locked in my head until we meet again " Pink - Who Knew

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTp

I think some people look beautiful, some plain, some ugly, some terrifying, and some, of course, humorous. So yes, I do think people with DS whom I've met look funny.
    "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
    I don't think people with Downs syndrome look funny, in all honesty I treat them exactly as I would treat everyone else (like they're worth something which they are)
    This deserves a
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"