Thread: Self-Mastery

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

Default Self-Mastery

to me, self-mastery has to do with understanding, conquering and humbling myself.

every other goal is subordinate to this one. which, of course, means it is the most difficult to achieve.

tell me about your attempts at self-mastery. storytimes encouraged!
    I may be kindly, I am ordinarily gentle, but in my line of business I am obliged to will terribly what I will at all.
    ~ Catherine the Great

7w6 ❣ sx/so ❤ physical touch ❥ sanguine 70%, choleric 30% ❦

Johari.

Quote Originally Posted by agentfurrina View Post
    to me, self-mastery has to do with understanding, conquering and humbling myself.

every other goal is subordinate to this one. which, of course, means it is the most difficult to achieve.

tell me about your attempts at self-mastery. storytimes encouraged!
    My definition of self mastery is similar to this one. Conquering myself is how I view it, I was actually thinking of this on my drive home yesterday. Good thread.

I want to improve myself and in order to that I must understand where I am coming from. I never want to be 'content' in the sense that I can't improve anymore or I'm 'too comfortable' to experience the chaos and doubt that comes with a hit in life. On reflection, in my most difficult times, where I stood with whatever situation, was difficult for me to see. My thing now is to see things, and consequently notice how I feel before (or at least before the days, months, or years it used to take me), to understand my personal drama, and what takes me to and from it.

For the last couple of years I have been focusing on being more assertive and not letting myself be invalidated. I had fooled myself that I was peaceful and easy-going when really I was more conflict adverse... I realize many of you can't imagine not understanding how you feel, but it is what has caused a lot of my turmoil in life. It is a lesson that I will have to tweak more as new situations come and give me the opportunity to grow.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

What do you think of Dabrowski's theory of positive disintegration?

Ginkgo

It takes courage to submit to something higher.

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    What do you think of Dabrowski's theory of positive disintegration?
    I have not heard of this what is it? Is it like Jung's theorising about breaking down to break through?

MBTI
    INTJ

Very interesting, horribly broad topic.

In my experience, my greatest developments have come from two things:
    1. Constantly pushing myself just beyond my comfort zone.
    2. Failing
    Although, the latter took me a long time to realize.

I think that many people think that they are improving, when what they are really doing is just not getting worse. There's an easy contentment that comes from operating only in realms that you excel in. This is compounded, I think, by the fact that we really aren't aware of all of our shortcomings, even some of our bigger ones, which makes it hard to focus on fixing them.

Many of us like to focus on what we are good at and get better at it. It's nice, because you never really have to push yourself too hard and you can stay in relative confidence and maintain the self-esteem bubble, but it's only a temporary fix...and it doesn't bring us to our full potential. You really have to learn and experience everything you possibly can. It's amazing the ways in which things are connected that you would never expect. Many times the knowledge or insight that we need to take a skill to the next level is found in a completely unrelated field.

The best way to consciously improve, for me, is to regularly push myself just past my comfort zone. If you go to far, you lose confidence because of major failure. If you don't go far enough, you may still gain some skill, but not much. If you go just past your comfort zone, every time, not only do you gain skill and experience, but you gain confidence.

#2 Reminds me of the last poem on this post
    It took me a long time to realize this, but I think that all of my greatest developments have come from times that I've failed or lost. Part of this is my competitive drive that forced me to work harder, but a greater part of it is the way that it forced me to view things differently. It also made me realize the limitations I had at the time and helped me understand that I'm not just naturally good at everything and I don't just deserve to be successful at everything. It takes constant effort. If you think you are just naturally awesome at something and you don't need to work hard, then you just haven't met anyone else that's good at it or you aren't pushing yourself hard enough.

You really have to be confident enough to admit vulnerabilities and weaknesses. Think about why you do everything the way you do it and how. Question your own motives, not just other people's and don't just set goals. Create a vision of the future and then find a way.

That's my take, anyways.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INFP

The following books changed my life, as far as self-mastery goes:

The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem by Nathaniel brandon
    All of OSHO's works on qualities, characteristics and emotions (his one-word-titled works)
    Tao te ching (muller translation)

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Cool

Hmm, for me I perceive this differently. The universe just loves me and wants the best for me. In exchange it asks for my love in return. Which includes making every move count, to realize that every kindness done to the outside universe is a kindness done to myself and every harm done to myself is a harm done to the outside universe. I don't want to pretend I'm always at this level of consciousness, but when I am I just surf the quantum probability waves to unending bliss
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

i BELIEVE IN THE MASTERY OF MIND OVER THE MATERIAL WORLD, the harnessing of the forces of nature for human needs.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I have not heard of this what is it? Is it like Jung's theorising about breaking down to break through?
    http://positivedisintegration.com/brief.htm

Interesting sounds a bit too self-justifying for my tastes. I don't like how he views developmental potential as fundamentally uneven.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.