User Tag List

First 234

Quote Originally Posted by KMCE View Post
    I wonder if people would suffer from depression if they do exercise regularly, have great sex, and have a few Close Friends/Confidants?

If they won't, then isn't the cause of depression the lack of sex, exercise, and friends?
    I think a lot of (types of) depression can indeed be distracted away by these things.

A core still remains, though, of those who suffer despite everything else being right.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

I wonder if people would suffer from depression if they do exercise regularly, have great sex, and have a few Close Friends/Confidants?

If they won't, then isn't the cause of depression the lack of sex, exercise, and friends?
    You're thinking about this only from the S perspective..many Ns have far greater challenges in life than just taking care of their physical needs..and lack of acceptance by others (allusion to your comment for the need to have close friends in order to avoid depression)...

Think about this...psychological pains are always sharper than physical... this is why people who commit suicide have no problem physically hurting themselves just to put an end to the mental pain...
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    For me (ISTJ) it's enough to have a great body, awesome sex life, a few close friends, a stable high-paying job, a house of my own, and a fat bank account. Life really ain't that complicated. My goals are clear, and there's not much to worry about. It's kinda hard to make me depressed since I know where I am going.

Maybe you are my opposite so you think otherwise. Your needs are probably quite different from mine.
    well I don't have a great body, but my sex life is not lacking at all... it's actually quite great I have a few close friends and a good giggle buddy, my husband has a stable well paying job and works very hard for us. We 'own' a house, the bank account is alright.... yet depression is there.... damn Fi overwhelming my Ne *sigh*
    (Why don't the multi-quote button work!?)

Targo,

Well I ain't no psychologist, and the world is very lucky that I didn't get into the psychology profession (I don't like getting dead patients.. they stink), but I sort of see something that seems 'problematic' in your message. I've highlighted it. You probably don't want to talk about it further, but,

You have identified Fi as the cause of your depression. But "Fi" is what makes an ENFP ENFP (It's the auxiliary function of ENFP after all). So, if you identify with the profile of ENFP, you are essentially saying that, as long as you are ENFP, you would suffer from depression. And unless you switch to another type, depression will stay with you forever.

I think it's not good. You have found a reason to justify your depression, and that very reason is something that would ‘stick’. Something that won’t go away. And there’s no helping it. So what gives?

Think about it, you really like it staying with you?

Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    I suppose what I was meaning is that my Fi isn't fulfilled in my life. I feel (go figure) that it's empty and not noticed. Also I guess I feel that it's not accepted either, that it's more or less mocked. Everything in my life seems to boil down to well if you weren't so emotional you could get over it.... *sigh*
    (I just read the ENFP profile)

I'll make a wild guess: the above sounds like your kindness to others are not reciprocated, and you need the reciprocation to be happy. And no one seems to appreciate your good characters, and they mock you because you are who you are: ‘Too’ kind, ‘too’ emotional, ‘too’ warm to others, feeling ‘too’ much, not 'tough' enough, and somewhat easily manipulated. Your outside character is a bit wild and crazy, but inside there's a gentler you that needs to be noticed by others and appreciated by others, despite what you have shown to people outwardly.

The thing about ENFP seems to be that they need other people's appreciation and encouragement to live a happy and fulfilled life (ENFP is the opposite of my type, so I can sort of understand, in a rather bizarre way).

I've no good solution to your depression problem... but if you think Fi is the problem of your depression, the solutions are, I suppose, to find people who would appreciate you for who you are (The Fi thing), those who would reciprocate your kindness, those who would notice your "Fi" without you having to explain to them. If MBTI has any value in it (I doubt it)... then it would be ESFP, ISFP, INFP, and other ENFP. Don't get anywhere near a ISTJ by the way.

And if you are a ISTJ, I would probably just tell you to suck it up and get over it. I think it won’t work for you though.
    "Man is not made for defeat. A man can be destroyed but not defeated."
    - Ernest Hemingway

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

And if you are a ISTJ, I would probably just tell you to suck it up and get over it. I think it won’t work for you though.
    lol, that was a nice post, KMCE... especially the ending. Not much to add to it right now, but you've had some very good insights here and elsewhere.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

[QUOTE=KMCE;16220](Why don't the multi-quote button work!?)

Targo,

Well I ain't no psychologist, and the world is very lucky that I didn't get into the psychology profession (I don't like getting dead patients.. they stink), but I sort of see something that seems 'problematic' in your message. I've highlighted it. You probably don't want to talk about it further, but,

You have identified Fi as the cause of your depression. But "Fi" is what makes an ENFP ENFP (It's the auxiliary function of ENFP after all). So, if you identify with the profile of ENFP, you are essentially saying that, as long as you are ENFP, you would suffer from depression. And unless you switch to another type, depression will stay with you forever.

I think it's not good. You have found a reason to justify your depression, and that very reason is something that would
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/