User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I suspect that depression is a combination of several factors one of which is biological predisposition. One's circumstances and experiences determine whether depression is triggered or not.

*Warning: anecdotal crap*
    For myself, I know I have a predisposition but since my two former biggest stressors (poverty and my mother) have been removed, my struggle with depression has been greatly reduced. Lack of stressors alone would not be enough, but I feel spiritually connected to God and emotionally connected to my husband and children and that fills up my purpose void pretty well. I still get some SAD going on, but nothing like I used to get.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Maverick, do you know if other countries with a lesser level of technology have a high rate of depression?

I am curious about such things, in that does ennui and boredom and a lack of daily purpose contribute to the depression psychologically, since we expect a level of satisfaction and contentment above what is actually realistic? In cultures where one must simply worry about survival, or cultures where everyone is firmly integrated into family or relationships, is depression as large an issue?

I know those are hard things to study, due to the multitude of factors involved. Some people might be the equivalent of depressed but not even recognize it as such or simply try to ignore it, because other needs are more pressing. it seems, with all the extra time and opportunities for pleasure and fun on our hands here, we have much more time to be AWARE of the depression and thus it looms even larger.
    As you suggest, these things are hard to study due to the multitude of factors. Diagnosis is indeed not easy when some people fail to recognize depression. Results of studies seem inconclusive and it's difficult to establish a link between technological advancement and depression based on the data that is reported.

1. I am aware of the following article that investigates cross-cultural differences in mental health:

Prevalence, Severity, and Unmet Need for Treatment of Mental Disorders in the World Health Organization World Mental Health Surveys -- The WHO World Mental Health Survey Consortium 291 (21): 2581 -- JAMA

In the more general category of mood disorders, the differences in prevalence between countries of similar socio-economic level and facilities to diagnose suggest that differences in culture may affect depression. Germany and Italy report a lower prevalence of mood disorders (3.6% and 3.8% respectively) in the sample of countries investigated. At the opposite end of the spectrum, the USA and France report higher levels (9.6% and 8.5% respectively).

2. In terms of happiness, a report done by the BBC of a study in Britan suggests that people are less happier today than in the 50's (keeping in mind methodological difficulties to measure depression, this should be taken more lightly):

BBC NEWS | Programmes | Happiness Formula | Britain's happiness in decline

3. I am also aware of a study that looks at the relationship between happiness and income. Interestingly, this study reports Italy's hapiness level as inferior to that of the USA. The study also suggests that a relationship exists between income and happiness but that it tends to level off at a certain point. You may find the figure of the results in this link:

http://cep.lse.ac.uk/events/lectures...d/RL030303.pdf

The question is very complicated and there is no conclusive answer. However, social and cultural factors most probably play an important role. Personally, I believe them to hold one even greater than strictly "individual" psychological/biological mechanisms.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    You know, happiness is a chemical "imbalance" too.
    ding ding

I think for many of us, depression comes as a result of expecting happiness beyond our base-line 'normal'.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Depression should be defined as a negative state of mind where no prospects of overcoming it are envisioned, and hence where clearly this negative state of mind is significant enough to cause the person to malfunction.

I do not believe that we can speak of a cause for such an entity, as cause implies knowing with certainty that from A followed B, rarely, if ever do we find such discoveries at all.

So at best we could only talk about what is highly correlated with depression, and for that, I will say that being in a situation where you perceive that there is nothing you will ever be able to do about your problem.

And for the sake of a farther cry, those who have been in that state may get addicted to it and cling to such a state of mind with a melancholy passion. (This, one could say is how we can get addicted to the chemicals within our brain that invoke a depressed state of mind.) In those cases, one will need to de-condition, him/herself from appreciating such a state of being, or rely on medication that will force one's inner organism to gravitate towards chemicals that are not linked with a depressed state of mind.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

I wonder if people would suffer from depression if they do exercise regularly, have great sex, and have a few Close Friends/Confidants?

If they won't, then isn't the cause of depression the lack of sex, exercise, and friends?
    "Man is not made for defeat. A man can be destroyed but not defeated."
    - Ernest Hemingway

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Depression should be defined as a negative state of mind where no prospects of overcoming it are envisioned, and hence where clearly this negative state of mind is significant enough to cause the person to malfunction.

No that is not what depression is at all.

I have been depressed on so many different levels for a very long time. And when in my deepest darkest depression I felt trapped. There I was somewhere in my mind wishing I knew how to break free, wishing I could run through the door and be better. It's a very surreal experience. Almost like an out of body experience where you walk around in a daze.

Depression isn't something people want, it's not something that's forced it just happens. And I know for myself I wanted nothing more than to be better to be my 'normal' again but I just couldn't break free and I was in denial.... huge huge denial.

Quote Originally Posted by KMCE View Post
    I wonder if people would suffer from depression if they do exercise regularly, have great sex, and have a few Close Friends/Confidants?

If they won't, then isn't the cause of depression the lack of sex, exercise, and friends?

you can have these and still be depressed
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post

I have been depressed on so many different levels for a very long time. And when in my deepest darkest depression I felt trapped. There I was somewhere in my mind wishing I knew how to break free, wishing I could run through the door and be better. It's a very surreal experience. Almost like an out of body experience where you walk around in a daze.

Depression isn't something people want, it's not something that's forced it just happens. And I know for myself I wanted nothing more than to be better to be my 'normal' again but I just couldn't break free and I was in denial.... huge huge denial.

I never said that depression is what people want, just that its a state of hopelessness. I dont see how anything that you said diverged from this.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    I never said that depression is what people want, just that its a state of hopelessness. I dont see how anything that you said diverged from this.

well since you didn't say it so simply you can then understand how it could be misinturpreted. Your comment 'No prospect of overcoming it' is simply not true. In my mind daily I envisioned myself awaking better, and I was even more angry when I awoke just to find myself feeling worse than I did before I went to bed, and then got angry at myself for goingt o bed in the first place......
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post

For me (ISTJ) it's enough to have a great body, awesome sex life, a few close friends, a stable high-paying job, a house of my own, and a fat bank account. Life really ain't that complicated. My goals are clear, and there's not much to worry about. It's kinda hard to make me depressed since I know where I am going.

Maybe you are my opposite so you think otherwise. Your needs are probably quite different from mine.
    "Man is not made for defeat. A man can be destroyed but not defeated."
    - Ernest Hemingway

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

For me (ISTJ) it's enough to have a great body, awesome sex life, a few close friends, a stable high-paying job, a house of my own, and a fat bank account. Life really ain't that complicated. My goals are clear, and there's not much to worry about. It's kinda hard to make me depressed since I know where I am going.

Maybe you are my opposite so you think otherwise. Your needs are probably quite different from mine.
    Well..I am not the exact opposite of you and having my life so simple seems unfathomable to me..

Yet again... MBTI manual reports that sensors..despite that simplicity may reduce stress for them..actually report a remarkably high level of stress...SJs more than SPs...and ISFJs the most...

The mind can make things difficult for you with all the complexities.. yet again it offers plenty of coping resources...especially for NTs..as we see that ENTP reports the lowest stress level and the INTP not far behind..