User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Savior complex

MBTI
    ISTx

Default Savior complex

Who is prone to these feelings and duties towards certain other individuals? Someone who isn't well grounded or tends to get themselves into hurtful situations and you feel a duty to stick by them even if it gets yourself hurt time and time again. Is this typical of STJs or do most people experience this type of mentality?

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I experience something like this towards humans in general. I sometimes feel like if I was King of the world and surrounded myself with enough scientists economists and trustworthy Generals, I could greatly improve the world (Utilitarianism basically). I acknowledge it as nonsense, but it's fun to play inside the mind sometimes!

(I know you are probably talking about an ex but you asked!)

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I used to suffer from it, like, really, really *suffer* from it.

Saving and defending people from what I perceived to be as any kind of felt or imposed "hurt", used to be the driving force behind all of my actions.

I think it has to do with unchecked empathy. I used to *literally* feel the pain of others, and by alleviating their discomfort, in effect, I would simultaneously alleviate mine.

Now I am at the opposite extreme where I have to isolate myself from others in order to not feel compelled/affected by their sadness or suffering. Hopefully, one day I'll find a way to appropriately extend and withhold myself, until then, however...

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I wouldn't call it a complex. Just imagine yourself being picked upon by bullies, then you see someone that gets bullied... Natural reaction if you can do something about it is to do so. I've beaten up, ridiculed and/or threatened bullies with immense pain during most of my time in school, and it worked quite well. Had a couple of classmates a couple of scrawny guys, then there were some jocks that liked picking on them, had to do something about it or I wouldn't have been able to sleep at night knowing I could have done something. Really, after making a couple of examples (read bloody noses, hurting ribs and maybe a small concussion) people WILL listen, and after that all it took was some maintenance (threatening, some hurting ribs and maybe one bloody nose). And it kept them safe from the worst of it during five or six years until school was finished. I was picked on when I was little, and nothing will get me to hate somebody more than if they start doing bad stuff to the ones not bestowed with strength or agility.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Who is prone to these feelings and duties towards certain other individuals? Someone who isn't well grounded or tends to get themselves into hurtful situations and you feel a duty to stick by them even if it gets yourself hurt time and time again. Is this typical of STJs or do most people experience this type of mentality?
    Looking at types wise... I would say SJs and NFs are the most likely to engage in such behaviour. The Guardians likes to maintain social order and traditions. Help keeping these off-balanced individuals afloat is what you're suppose to do and they can take duty rather seriously. The Idealist on the other hand... ha! I believe they have been identified as having martyr (savior complex). In fact the INFJ is described as the martyr by a few people. I suppose the NFs love saving the underdogs. :rolli:

Not that the SP Artistians and us Rationalist wouldn't also do the same from time to time... As Jesus said... if the situation fits the bill.

MBTI
    ISTP

A lot of MBTI descriptions list ISFJ as the selfless martyr to duty.
    I'm the Councilor, I'll be watching you.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

My ISTP best friend had it BAD. He still does it.

I think any type can be roped in, according to their ideas of right and wrong. Possibly Judgers may feel the distinction more acutely as we think in automatic shades of "on/off", "good/bad", "The Fonz/Chachi". It can range from well-intentioned naivety to masochistic self-flagellating tendencies.

NFs may, in particular, be unable to disengage when it's clear their object won't be salvaged from the Styx.

Do you have an experience to share on this tac, Beat? Are you seeing this trait in yourself?
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

my friends call it the hero complex but whatever. it's one of my biggest downfalls.

unhealthy Fe...

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I wouldn't call it a complex.
    I call it a complex because of the getting yourself hurt aspect, despite the fact that it'd probably be in one's best interest to get out, yet they don't. The basic emotion of empathy towards others is usually extended to the helpless (in some form or another), and pose no threat.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    I'm not prone to that.
    I would say rather that SFJ's or ENFJ's might do that if we look at MBTI types.