First 123 Last

Thread: Savior complex

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I'm not sure it has much to do with types. Are any types more prone to interfere with things? Violence? Generosity? I don't think it can be proven that it is the case.

I believe that it has much to do with what the person in question has experienced him/herself. I have felt powerless and downtrodden at many points in my life, and I just hate people who treat those who are weaker badly.
    I think that the fact that my father have abused me mentally and physically until I grew too big to mess with has contributed to this "complex" in me alot. The fact that I was picked on for a couple of years in school when I was little is also a factor.
    When I see stuff like that going down the adrenaline starts pumping and I generally get into a fight and kick his/their ass(es).

Cause and effect.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    I call it a complex because of the getting yourself hurt aspect, despite the fact that it'd probably be in one's best interest to get out, yet they don't. The basic emotion of empathy towards others is usually extended to the helpless (in some form or another), and pose no threat.
    I very seldom get hurt, I on the other hand hurt those responsible I choose my time of attack. You know, ENTJ's.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

It doesn't have to do with type because type doesn't CAUSE stuff. It's descriptive. In other words, you've got it backwards: it's people who constantly defend others who will label themselves as "F" of "NF" based on their behavior, not the other way around.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

It's true that a person should be judged by his or her actions, but where did you get the idea that people who stand up for others would call themselves F or NF?

MBTI
    ESFJ

I have this to an extent and usually toward females. I am a pretty classic ESFJ (albeit with my N and T working decently, I think). That would seem to make sense typologically, but I am sure it can be found throughout the types, to greater and lesser extents.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    my friends call it the hero complex but whatever. it's one of my biggest downfalls.

unhealthy Fe...

Same here, even though the positive effects of Fe can be tremendous, Fe also gets me into trouble.
    Fe doesn't even have to be that unhealthy to start displaying this IMO. I think it's natural for Fe to want to help and reach out to someone in need.

I'm withdrawing from one of those situations mentioned in the OP, and I still have mixed feelings about it and feel guilty for letting the other person down, and part of me still wants to be there to help even though I feel beyond drained (and that's the reason I'm withdrawing in the first place,)
    ~INFJ~
    -4w3 so/sx or sx/so

"Ideals are like the stars: we never reach them, but like the mariners of the sea, we chart our course by them."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Who is prone to these feelings and duties towards certain other individuals? Someone who isn't well grounded or tends to get themselves into hurtful situations and you feel a duty to stick by them even if it gets yourself hurt time and time again. Is this typical of STJs or do most people experience this type of mentality?

I don't know if it has a lot to do with type and it seems to be evenly divided between males and females too. Personally I can't understand this type of behavior. I am not responsible for someone else's self-esteem and self-worth. I will help but not if I feel the person is only going to squander it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    ...Not that the SP Artistians and us Rationalist wouldn't also do the same from time to time... As Jesus said... if the situation fits the bill.
    Yup. Certain types might be more inclined, but savior complex is also impacted by birth position (the eldest will do it out of responsibility, younger ones might do it out of passion for "what's right" etc...) and family environment/influence.

(Situations where the child had to enable/"parent" the parent to survive often result in savior complex later in life as well.)

But when i was growing up, the only fights I remember getting into were in defense of someone else. And I watched other diverse types stick up for the low people on the pole too. I think anyone who can empathize with people who are excluded or suffering some hardship will want to help that person and sometimes not know where to draw a line. it takes a strong person to allow others to suffer if it is in the sufferer's best interest long-term.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    GONE

Old thread but --

Yeah, I can see male INFJ getting this quite bad.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INxJ

I don't understand this complex. I would only help the people very closest to me, and only if they are going to help themselves. Otherwise, it's like enabling them to continue the bad habits that get them in trouble in the first place. You can't save someone from themself.