• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram as JCF

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I believe there are many overlaps between enneagram and the Jungian Cognitive Functions. Perhaps others could note the correlations and we could begin a discussion about how they can be seen as transformations of each other.

1 sounds very IJ, Ti, or perhaps Fi
2 sounds ery exfj or perhaps ixfp socionics Fe function
3 perhaps exxp, Se, perhaps exfx or esxx
4 very ixfx especially ixfp or xnxp or perhaps Ni and Fi
5 very ixtx, Te as a non primary but conscious function

I'm sure others could elaborate much more perhaps including type relationships as well

This also begs certain questions. If one can change enneatype between points of growth and points of .. negativity perhaps types can be cycled as well under different stressors

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
the Enneagram/ JCF correlation according to Riso & Hudson is as such:
1 - Te
2 - Fe
3 - none(!??!)
4 - Ni
5 - Ti
6 - Fi
7 - Se
8 - Ne
9 - Si

I agree with most of these except for 4/6, IMO the JCF should be switched for those two types. And also WTF is with 3 not having a correlating JCF? That's just weak IMO.

Also, if 4 does seem Ni & Fi-ish (and I agree), I wonder why there aren't more ISFP 4s? Perhaps it's because ISFPs are just plain underrepresented?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is one school of thought that says you can look at the two as overlapping circles, with common traits in the overlapping center. The more overlapping they are, the easier it is as the person is not torn between two different ways of being. Those in an unhealthy state are living towards the unhealthy side of their enneagram type and not functioning as their balanced MBTI type. As you move towards the balanced MBTI type (that is your natural state of being) and away from the unhealthy side of enneagram, you become more like yourself.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not sure I'd agree with either of those. I do see overlaps, but I think they're a) not direct correlations like Riso & Hudson and b) don't imply positive or negative ways of being per se.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
the Enneagram/ JCF correlation according to Riso & Hudson is as such:
1 - Te
2 - Fe
3 - none(!??!)
4 - Ni
5 - Ti
6 - Fi
7 - Se
8 - Ne
9 - Si

I agree with most of these except for 4/6, IMO the JCF should be switched for those two types. And also WTF is with 3 not having a correlating JCF? That's just weak IMO.

Also, if 4 does seem Ni & Fi-ish (and I agree), I wonder why there aren't more ISFP 4s? Perhaps it's because ISFPs are just plain underrepresented?
8 as Ne? No way! 8 is WAY too "directive" (while Ne, or NP in the Interaction styles, is the opposite!). I would say 8 is more Te, while 1 seems like it as well. 3 would also seem like Se. 7 could also be ENP.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Not sure about this one. JCF is supposedly about cognitive preferences, while Enneagram is about the way certain neuroses affect you. Perhaps certain JCF types are more inclined to develop certain Enneagram fixations, but I would be surprised if it went any further.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1 - Si
2 - Fe
3 - Ne
4 - Ni
5 - Ti
6 - none
7 - Se
8 - Te
9 - Fi

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I think Type 1 correlates pretty much with any type that ends with J. Specifically Fe or Te-dominant types.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I agree....I also think there should be more ISFJs....I like ISFJs...

:angry:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
8 as Ne? No way! 8 is WAY too "directive" (while Ne, or NP in the Interaction styles, is the opposite!). I would say 8 is more Te, while 1 seems like it as well. 3 would also seem like Se. 7 could also be ENP.

Yes about 8. Sometimes 1. But you should have just said that 7 correlates with Ne. Riso's 7 description shines forth with Ne possibilities. And why no JCF correlation with 3 as someone else noted? Because he conveniently believes it to be a chameleon type.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes about 8. Sometimes 1. But you should have just said that 7 correlates with Ne. Riso's 7 description shines forth with Ne possibilities. And why no JCF correlation with 3 as someone else noted? Because he conveniently believes it to be a chameleon type.
I guess they wanted one function-attitude for each type, so one was left over. I've seen others question 3 as a type as well, but I'm not sure why.
What at least one Enneagram theorist did was to add a new function-attitude, called "extraverted Moving" (as in Karen Horney's scales), that corresponds to 3.

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I think R&H's attempt to tie Enneagram with JCF is kind of a fail in general, although some of it kind of makes sense, for example, 2 with Fe.
I would agree that Ne alone isn't directive enough to be fairly correlated with 8, and it would make more sense when combined with Te. But they gotta dump a cognitive function somewhere I think lol.

7 fits both Se and Ne imo, and incidentally most 7s are ExxPs.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think

1 IXXJ
2 Fe
3 EXXP
4 infO
5 INTX
6 ??
7 Ne
8 ESTX/EXTJ
9 INFJ/ISFP

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The correlation I like best is David Boje:

http://business.nmsu.edu/~dboje/teaching/490_psl/step_9.htm

E Common thread (Expressive/Responsive interpretation)
1 J (ambiverted, low R)
2 EF (extraverted, high R ("Sanguine" social image)
3 ET extraverted, low R ("Choleric" social image)
4 IF, [en]F mostly introverted, high R ("Supine" social image)
5 IT introverted, low R ("Melancholy" social image)
6 EF/IF ambidextrous E/I; high R, Supine or Sanguine social image
7 EP extraverted; high R ("Sanguine" sociability temperament)
8 ET extraverted, low R ("Choleric" social image)
9 I[e]S[n]F[t]P[j] introverted and extraverted; low and high R (all-around moderate - Phlegmatic)

Case in point, ENFP often comes up as 2, and they are not Fe, but may resemble it because of the general E + F, regardless of the orientation of F. So that seems to be what 2 corresponds to more.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess they wanted one function-attitude for each type, so one was left over. I've seen others question 3 as a type as well, but I'm not sure why.
What at least one Enneagram theorist did was to add a new function-attitude, called "extraverted Moving" (as in Karen Horney's scales), that corresponds to 3.

Then there must be an Introverted Moving type?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The correlation I like best is David Boje:

http://business.nmsu.edu/~dboje/teaching/490_psl/step_9.htm

E Common thread (Expressive/Responsive interpretation)
1 J (ambiverted, low R)
2 EF (extraverted, high R ("Sanguine" social image)
3 ET extraverted, low R ("Choleric" social image)
4 IF, [en]F mostly introverted, high R ("Supine" social image)
5 IT introverted, low R ("Melancholy" social image)
6 EF/IF ambidextrous E/I; high R, Supine or Sanguine social image
7 EP extraverted; high R ("Sanguine" sociability temperament)
8 ET extraverted, low R ("Choleric" social image)
9 I[e]S[n]F[t]P[j] introverted and extraverted; low and high R (all-around moderate - Phlegmatic)

Case in point, ENFP often comes up as 2, and they are not Fe, but may resemble it because of the general E + F, regardless of the orientation of F. So that seems to be what 2 corresponds to more.

Well, one has to wonder how much effort Riso put into building his theory on top of other theories in order to create a nice fat system out of something that started out as one-page type descriptions passed from person to person back in the 1960s. It would need a lot of such help stealing (synthesizing with) other ideas such as DSM personality disorders. And I don't think he really understands Jung's types.

Thanks for clarifying the point that EF does not necessarily mean Fe. That would apply across the board, of course. That's often how I see things these days.