User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    @ygolo: Symmetry, proportion and contrast, indicators of youthfulness (neoteny) are the objective measures but how it's presented and what's considered the best presentation is the subjective part.

@Amargith: yikes.
    If neoteny is truly an objective measure of beauty, then why are we surprised or offended by the "infantilization" of those we consider beautiful?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    If neoteny is truly an objective measure of beauty, then why are we surprised or offended by the "infantilization" of those we consider beautiful?
    Facial neoteny(big eyes, small nose, full lips, smooth skin) but of course not the body.

Facial neoteny(big eyes, small nose, full lips, smooth skin) but of course not the body.
    Well, I figured facial features would be the most important. But I do think most people would consider people in their 20's to have more attractive bodies (on average) than those who are older.

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Looks are shallow, haha.
    Looks are for the most part aren't a matter of choice. When people compliment my looks, it generally makes feel awkward. What am I supposed to say? Thank you? It doesn't have anything to do with me... I was just born like this.
    I don't dislike it, obviously, but it's weird. And I don't particularly like that I like it. It's like taking credit for something I didn't do.
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Glycerine

Well, I figured facial features would be the most important. But I do think most people would consider people in their 20's to have more attractive bodies (on average) than those who are older.
    Ohhhh, I think we misunderstood each other. I wasn't indicating prepubescent bodies or aging necessary mainly the facial features. The attractiveness of the body is slightly more varied except there may be some validity in the waist to hip ratio.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by raindancing View Post
    Looks are for the most part aren't a matter of choice. When people compliment my looks, it generally makes feel awkward. What am I supposed to say? Thank you? It doesn't have anything to do with me... I was just born like this.
    I don't dislike it, obviously, but it's weird. And I don't particularly like that I like it. It's like taking credit for something I didn't do.
    Hahaha I seem to have a reaction somewhere in between you and your sis. I am bit bipolar in that sense.

Your way seems to be the best way to go....not taking it too seriously.

Ohhhh, I think we misunderstood each other. I wasn't indicating prepubescent bodies or aging necessary mainly the facial features. The attractiveness of the body is slightly more varied except there may be some validity in the waist to hip ratio.
    Hmm. I guess I still don't get it.

Symmetry, proportion, and contrast--like in art class? I suppose that makes a bit of sense.

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I am always curious if they do it to fish for compliments or if they are really that insecure?
    They have a lot of dudes pursuing them. Eventually one or more will break their hearts and make them jaded. This happens to most girls, but the super hot ones get 10x the attention and this makes them much more suspicious than the average.

I think the hidden premise to all this is that there is some objective measure of beauty.

Isn't beauty in the eye of the beholder?
    Here is a website by some German psychology students that did a series of experiments to objectively measure beauty:

http://www.uni-regensburg.de/Fakulta...prototypen.htm

http://www.uni-regensburg.de/Fakulta...igur/figur.htm
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Glycerine

Hmm. I guess I still don't get it.

Symmetry, proportion, and contrast--like in art class? I suppose that makes a bit of sense.
    Yes I guess. There has to be some kind of balance to the face. That's what makes someone objectively beautiful on a purely physical basis. But there are different combinations of features that look balanced leading to different looks. What an individual sees as beautiful is based on their preferences based within those parameters. This is where the subjectivity comes in. I am not taking into account personality and other factors. Also since there is so much variability, there isn't one main ideal of beauty. There are some commonalities but it's not the end all, be all.

FWIW, This response was formulated using the info I read about sexual selection and attractiveness within an evolutionary psychology paradigm.

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Here is a website by some German psychology students that did a series of experiments to objectively measure beauty:

http://www.uni-regensburg.de/Fakulta...prototypen.htm

http://www.uni-regensburg.de/Fakulta...igur/figur.htm
    Hmm, yes. I remember when they were doing web based tests and you could compare your preferences to others who took the tests. I suppose the things they found weren't very surprising.

However, I have also heard the theory that the type of person you are physically attracted to is a sort of subconscious averaging of your friends and family of the gender you are sexually attracted to. For me, this seems to be more the case. I find that after forming good friendships with a few Asian women over the last 6 months or so, that I find Asian women more physically attractive in general.

Robot Fusion