User Tag List

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Default Procrastinate and Avoid

How do you overcome procrastination or avoidance when it hits?

Riva

Oh man this has been a something I have been trying to overcome for quite sometime now.

I recently started using affirmations and they work like magic.

Also a trick I learned is when having got to do something -

I look at my wrist watch and say to myself that I'd complete the task in that many minutes (it's usually half or three quarter of the time it would usually take). This would make me realize that it would take only a few minutes to complete the task and motivate me to complete it.

When putting a time limit to the task at hand one feels like working extremely fast and one ould complete a task at remarkable pace. Often times I am shocked that I completed it in less than proposed time.

Sometimes it takes longer than assumed but still it would not make me stop as it would have normally. I would still go on.

Hope that helps.

Riva

Then again I believe that one should overcome one's own limitations by using one's own ideas. So my ideas might not work for you.

The only thing one must remember to do is constantly look for answers from within. This way sooner or later one would arrive at it.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Delay as long as possible. Then bust a move.

I've done the time trick too as Riva describes. Except I'd say to myself, if it was a short task, "By the time I count to 20, I'll be done." Or if it's animal chores, I tell myself the work will do itself if I just go through the motions with my body.

Mostly I just try to avoid doing things that I don't like to do.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Then again I believe that one should overcome one's own limitations by using one's own ideas. So my ideas might not work for you.

The only thing one must remember to do is constantly look for answers from within. This way sooner or later one would arrive at it.
    All good man, the idea is to say what works for you. And I do like, and employ the suggestion you gave, it's hella effective in the times when nothing else is!

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I kick myself in the crotch of my mind and force myself to DO something.

It isn't easy but it is possible. Id say my method is a kind of "keep going, keep hanging on" type of mental conditioning in which I force myself to just keep pushing on with whatever it is I am doing. Even if id rather sit back, cogitate and then drift off.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.