User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 20

  1. #1

    Default Horrific/traumatic visualisations

    Does anyone have any sources or sites or thoughts on forgetting or suppressing horrific, possibly traumatic, visualisations?

    I swear that there's two which are lurking in the back of my mind at the moment, one was "gifted" to me by someone who is extremely troubled telling me about a nightmare they had had, now I suspect that they had altered it a little to include some things which I have chronic fears and phobias of (I cant stand wasps), but it was completely horrible.

    The second was/is a picture from a surrealist/body shock art exhibit, which was just this strange thing which didnt make much sense but when you read the title "female genital mutilation" it just had this mentally jarring effect and I think because my mind tried to then and has since to reconstruct or attend to aspects of the picture which would be connected with that.

    To be honest you dont want to know the detail of either because it would make you spew chunks and I shit you not. So anyone got any ideas? Do you just think about something else? Advise your friends never to go to any sick ass art exhibits or to listen to traumatic dream disclosures?

  2. #2
    Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp
    Posts
    832

    Default

    I remember playing Alice: Madness Returns with some friends (uti), and I remember watching the introduction being real intense. It made me think that hell isn't just torture, but also psychological torture. I guess I was only kind of scared because of entertaining the thought of going through the same torment Alice did.

    You just have to distract yourself I guess. The idea was only scary at the time.

  3. #3
    I'm not Trunks
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    343

    Default

    i don't know what this mean though. i do experienced horrific/traumatic visualizations. but i don't think its its effect me a lot.

  4. #4
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
    i don't know what this mean though. i do experienced horrific/traumatic visualizations. but i don't think its its effect me a lot.
    I will experience horrific visualizations on occasion. Usually I'm able to do some activity or think something else to distract myself from them. There are a few movies I can't watch or books I can't read because they are too visually intense for me.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  5. #5
    I'm not Trunks
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I will experience horrific visualizations on occasion. Usually I'm able to do some activity or think something else to distract myself from them. There are a few movies I can't watch or books I can't read because they are too visually intense for me.
    I don't have problem to watch horror movies or read a book which contains violence or etc..i tend to get distracted easily by my surroundings if i read a book..especially noisy sounds..and i do imagine things based on the book i read..I do want to puke if I watch cannibalism movies or earthworm pictures and anything similar..

  6. #6
    The Iron Giant
    Guest

    Default

    @Lark, you need to see a therapist. They can talk out these issues and determine the right course of action.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Bamboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    XXFP
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    Ask yourself: What am I seeing? How does it make me feel? What can I do to react to it - form a plan of action to relate to and negotiate the situation. Sometimes your best option is not a "winning" option - so reactions such as "mourn this loss", "recognize this inadequacy", or "prepare yourself for a struggle" are valuable and should not be shut out.

    Instead of running from it you learn to approach it so you can manage it directly.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    @Lark, you need to see a therapist. They can talk out these issues and determine the right course of action.
    I probably know as much as any therapist. Its impossible to unsee or unremember what you've seen or remember I figure. Working on just dealing with it. Beginning by resisting urge to vomit any time it comes into my head.

  9. #9
    The Iron Giant
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I probably know as much as any therapist. Its impossible to unsee or unremember what you've seen or remember I figure. Working on just dealing with it. Beginning by resisting urge to vomit any time it comes into my head.
    I was mainly thinking about immersion therapy and the like. Desenitization. That kind of thing. Maybe even hypnosis.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minutegovt View Post
    I remember playing Alice: Madness Returns with some friends (uti), and I remember watching the introduction being real intense. It made me think that hell isn't just torture, but also psychological torture. I guess I was only kind of scared because of entertaining the thought of going through the same torment Alice did.

    You just have to distract yourself I guess. The idea was only scary at the time.
    Yeah, that's what I'm doing, man its just so awful the vivid nature of my imagination and how as a consequence truly horrible shit can just appear in my mind. I'm pretty sure other people dont experience anything quite like it.

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTP] Any ENTPs with traumatic childhoods?
    By AGameOfChance in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-03-2017, 10:15 AM
  2. Overcoming post traumatic stress disorder
    By The Great One in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-09-2012, 12:31 PM
  3. Horrific images.
    By Arclight in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-17-2010, 04:22 AM
  4. Traumatized by a Rat
    By Mace in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 08-13-2010, 02:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO