• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Horrific/traumatic visualisations

Lark

Does anyone have any sources or sites or thoughts on forgetting or suppressing horrific, possibly traumatic, visualisations?

I swear that there's two which are lurking in the back of my mind at the moment, one was "gifted" to me by someone who is extremely troubled telling me about a nightmare they had had, now I suspect that they had altered it a little to include some things which I have chronic fears and phobias of (I cant stand wasps), but it was completely horrible.

The second was/is a picture from a surrealist/body shock art exhibit, which was just this strange thing which didnt make much sense but when you read the title "female genital mutilation" it just had this mentally jarring effect and I think because my mind tried to then and has since to reconstruct or attend to aspects of the picture which would be connected with that.

To be honest you dont want to know the detail of either because it would make you spew chunks and I shit you not. So anyone got any ideas? Do you just think about something else? Advise your friends never to go to any sick ass art exhibits or to listen to traumatic dream disclosures?

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I remember playing Alice: Madness Returns with some friends (uti), and I remember watching the introduction being real intense. It made me think that hell isn't just torture, but also psychological torture. I guess I was only kind of scared because of entertaining the thought of going through the same torment Alice did.

You just have to distract yourself I guess. The idea was only scary at the time.

Trunks

I'm not Trunks
i don't know what this mean though. i do experienced horrific/traumatic visualizations. but i don't think its its effect me a lot.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i don't know what this mean though. i do experienced horrific/traumatic visualizations. but i don't think its its effect me a lot.

I will experience horrific visualizations on occasion. Usually I'm able to do some activity or think something else to distract myself from them. There are a few movies I can't watch or books I can't read because they are too visually intense for me.

Trunks

I'm not Trunks
I will experience horrific visualizations on occasion. Usually I'm able to do some activity or think something else to distract myself from them. There are a few movies I can't watch or books I can't read because they are too visually intense for me.

I don't have problem to watch horror movies or read a book which contains violence or etc..i tend to get distracted easily by my surroundings if i read a book..especially noisy sounds..and i do imagine things based on the book i read..I do want to puke if I watch cannibalism movies or earthworm pictures and anything similar..

T

The Iron Giant

[MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION], you need to see a therapist. They can talk out these issues and determine the right course of action.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Ask yourself: What am I seeing? How does it make me feel? What can I do to react to it - form a plan of action to relate to and negotiate the situation. Sometimes your best option is not a "winning" option - so reactions such as "mourn this loss", "recognize this inadequacy", or "prepare yourself for a struggle" are valuable and should not be shut out.

Instead of running from it you learn to approach it so you can manage it directly.

Lark

[MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION], you need to see a therapist. They can talk out these issues and determine the right course of action.

I probably know as much as any therapist. Its impossible to unsee or unremember what you've seen or remember I figure. Working on just dealing with it. Beginning by resisting urge to vomit any time it comes into my head.

T

The Iron Giant

I probably know as much as any therapist. Its impossible to unsee or unremember what you've seen or remember I figure. Working on just dealing with it. Beginning by resisting urge to vomit any time it comes into my head.

I was mainly thinking about immersion therapy and the like. Desenitization. That kind of thing. Maybe even hypnosis.

Lark

I remember playing Alice: Madness Returns with some friends (uti), and I remember watching the introduction being real intense. It made me think that hell isn't just torture, but also psychological torture. I guess I was only kind of scared because of entertaining the thought of going through the same torment Alice did.

You just have to distract yourself I guess. The idea was only scary at the time.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing, man its just so awful the vivid nature of my imagination and how as a consequence truly horrible shit can just appear in my mind. I'm pretty sure other people dont experience anything quite like it.

Lark

I was mainly thinking about immersion therapy and the like. Desenitization. That kind of thing. Maybe even hypnosis.

Oh shit, no way, I'd not submit to hypnosis because it involves submission to control which wouldnt come natural to me, it would require some sort of breaking of my will which I'm not going to go in for. I've been told my stage hypnotists before that I'd be unsuitable for taking part in their act.

I dont know about desenitisation, perhaps it would work for my fear of heights or wasps, some how, although the things I'm talking about are not like that. Bodyshock/body horrors are not really something you can get desentised to because they're pretty unique or untypical, the other horrific thing has to do with wasps, maggots/pawn like things and self-harm or body related horrors but probably has something to do with the knowledge of someone else, the one who told me this dream, being disturbed and the transference or countertransference going on there.

I'm not avoidant of peoples disturbance because I've had to work with and develop a tolerance to it but the thing is that avoidance is what most people use to remain uneffected by the disturbance of others.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just give it time, this type of mental damage will heal itself eventually. You can't rush the process.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
The recent "zombie" events (I hate that "zombie" is the most recognizable shorthand, by the way) have caused some pretty horrifying visualizations/imaginings for me. I tend to just try to distract myself or refuse the image from lingering. I don't know what else to do than try to redirect my thoughts so that those images don't have power over me.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Interesting... I've been having similar, but much more tame, experiences myself. Certain things trigger the thoughts for me... And sometimes they are unavoidable circumstances....It's not like I can just totally avoid what triggers it... So I've been trying to push it out of my mind when it pops in there. I just wish there was a way to prevent them from popping in there in the first place.

H

Hate

Does anyone have any sources or sites or thoughts on forgetting or suppressing horrific, possibly traumatic, visualisations?

I swear that there's two which are lurking in the back of my mind at the moment, one was "gifted" to me by someone who is extremely troubled telling me about a nightmare they had had, now I suspect that they had altered it a little to include some things which I have chronic fears and phobias of (I cant stand wasps), but it was completely horrible.

The second was/is a picture from a surrealist/body shock art exhibit, which was just this strange thing which didnt make much sense but when you read the title "female genital mutilation" it just had this mentally jarring effect and I think because my mind tried to then and has since to reconstruct or attend to aspects of the picture which would be connected with that.

To be honest you dont want to know the detail of either because it would make you spew chunks and I shit you not. So anyone got any ideas? Do you just think about something else? Advise your friends never to go to any sick ass art exhibits or to listen to traumatic dream disclosures?

Only two? You should be thankful. These things don't even sound remotely "traumatic."

Yeah, that's what I'm doing, man its just so awful the vivid nature of my imagination and how as a consequence truly horrible shit can just appear in my mind. I'm pretty sure other people dont experience anything quite like it.

The statement in bold is just flat out ridiculous.

Lark

Only two? You should be thankful. These things don't even sound remotely "traumatic."

The statement in bold is just flat out ridiculous.

Such strong sentiments, I wonder if my suspiscions about you are correct.

Lark

If that's how you want to interpret it, be my guest.

How else? You did not intend that did you?

Enlighten me.

You've something to prove. Perhaps you'll talk about it and perhaps you wont. It is a detour from the topic though and I'm not going to carry on with it. Its off topic and adds little to discussion or the forum generally.

Edit: I knew your response would be something along those lines, so predictable.

Yet you choose to post that all the same, what about that?

H

Hate

This is the claim you made before on one of my threads:

Oh I'm prepared to kill. No moral qualms about it. I know how and what to do to recover from the trauma of it and how to cope with the psychological consequences.

How can you make such a bold claim like this, to claim you could easily recover from the trauma of killing, to have "no moral qualms about it"... but then in this thread claim to be 'traumatized' from someone revealing a dream and from something from an art exhibit?? This is not congruent.

You even claimed to have all the psychological tools at your disposal to easily recover from the trauma of killing, but don't have them in this case? Again, not congruent.