• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Psychosis

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't count psychological addiction as real addiction.

Addiction:

HTML:
Addiction is the continued use of a mood altering substance or behaviour despite adverse consequences...

If something is 'psychologically' addicting it can have just as bad, or worse, consequences for its user/abuser. Besides, if something becomes 'psychologically' addicting, chanced are physiological changes are taking place somewhere, it's just that we don't understand it, or can't 'see' it.

We really understand very little about the mechanism of addiction. Wouldn't you agree?

River

flowing quietly by
MBTI Type
INxP
You can as you stated, get an injection that works in depot form and administer a drug in your system for let's say two weeks. After which you come in and get another one and you're fine for two more weeks and the circus rolls on.

You can also get a depotab that you use yourself, as I previously stated. Such medication comes in capsule form. It doesn't last as long as the injection but some patients prefer using that way of delivery instead of the needle and the hassle of traveling.

I see. Thank you.

I do, not the past tense.

Takes the 'fun' out of nestled spoiler tags :ninja:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Okay this is really no bueno.

Prpl is there really no one in your life besides us, someone you trust, like someone who is physically near you that you can tell this to so that they can help you?

I'm in florida with my parents not near anyone I trust at the moment.

Within

Permabanned
If something is 'psychologically' addicting it can have just as bad, or worse, consequences for its user/abuser. Besides, if something becomes 'psychologically' addicting, chanced are metabolic changes are taking place somewhere, it's just that we don't understand it, or can't 'see' it.
Some people resort to self harm, such as cutting themselves to relieve angst. I don't recognize such behavior as an "addiction" either. Even though arguments can be pleaded for it to be counted as one.

We really understand very little about the mechanism of addiction. Wouldn't you agree?
I know for a fact that we know a great deal about the mechanics of addiction, and when I talk about it I'm referring to the chemical and biological effects that it have on the nervous system.

E.g the withdrawn from the real substances that by all means should be considered narcotics can without treatment be fatal. Marijuana has no such side effects. The issue is more of a strength of character one, the "I fucked up my life because I'm addicted to pot." don't fly with me.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Some people resort to self harm, such as cutting themselves to relieve angst. I don't recognize such behavior as an "addiction" either. Even though arguments can be pleaded for it to be counted as one.

Cutting may or may not be addictive. It depends on the person and their motivations, physiology, history, etc.

I think anything could become an addiction, if someone compulsively seeks it out and it causes harm, and they cannot stop easily.

I know for a fact that we know a great deal about the mechanics of addiction, and when I talk about it I'm referring to the chemical and biological effects that it have on the nervous system.

E.g the withdrawn from the real substances that by all means should be considered narcotics can without treatment be fatal. Marijuana has no such side effects. The issue is more of a strength of character one, the "I fucked up my life because I'm addicted to pot." don't fly with me.

You mean we know a lot about chemical addiction? Perhaps. I am not an expert. But I have not heard much about the scientific database of psychological addiction and how it transfers to physical addiction. Have you?

I don't think a pot user would say that. They'd just light up again to escape any conscious thought of shirking responsibility. That doesn't mean that they aren't addicted to it, or that wanting to be stoned all day versus finding a job is just a voluntary mindset.

Within

Permabanned
I don't think a pot user would say that. They'd just light up again to escape any conscious thought of shirking responsibility. That doesn't mean that they aren't addicted to it, or that wanting to be stoned all day versus finding a job is just a voluntary mindset.
You just did.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A pot user doesn't usually know he/she is addicted.

Being addicted does not require one to know they are addicted. In fact, it rarely works out like that.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lol. you can have adverse consequences without being aware, or consciously-minded about it.

EDIT: Going in the hot tub now. :queenie:

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Let's forget all the good arguments already given elsewhere and look at this from a logical/strategical perspective.

There are two options.

A. You are right about this B. You are wrong about this.

In the A scenario where you are right and there actually is a giant conspiracy based on publicly unknown advances in technology, you have the option to take the meds anyway and lead a normal and fearless life until the counterrevolution happens and you might be used against people, if it actually comes to that, or you can refuse to take your meds. However, since you are schizotypal, that would imply not being able to trust yourself and not being able to lead a functioning life until the day the counterrevolution happens (if it comes to that) when you might harm others and/or get killed in the upheaval yourself (both of these thingsmight happen anyway in a civil war scenario, even without robots controlling you!). Not only will there be little profit from not taking your meds, but there is a chance you might just as well be hospitalized because you can't fully function without your meds (just as somebdy with diabetics needs theirs).

In the B scenario you are having false fears that are caused by not taking your meds and those fears keep you from taking your meds. It's a vicious cycle. Your brain is playing tricks on you and keeps you from getting better or letting well-intentioned people help you. If this scenario continues long enough, you might end up hurting yourself and might end up being hospitalized for your own wellbeing because your condition will worsen more and more. They will force you to take your meds until your brain recovers and you will realize all this.
Alternatively, you could decide to make that leap of faith, take your meds again and hope that things will get better and the fear will disappear. There is a very, very high chance that'll happen.

So we have 4 scenarios
A1 - you are right and take them anyway - you eventually lose the "game" after years of comfort (0.5)
A2 - you are right and don't take them - you eventually win, but at a very high price (0.5)
B1 - you are wrong and take them - you win absolutely(1)
B2 - you are wrong and don't take them - you lose absolutely (0)

Let's assume for a moment that there is an equal chance of you being right or wrong. In that case the expected benefit of you taking the meds either way would be 0.75. The expected benefit of you not taking them would be 0.25.

So, mathematically speaking, even if there was a 50% chance that you are right about your suspicions, it would still be smarter to take your meds. It is 3x as beneficial to you even then!

And that is just the scenario for a 50-50 chance. Most people here will tell you the chances are more like 99.9999999999999999999 to 0.0000000000000000001

Also, with or without schizophrenia, trusting something you "just know" by intuition, not as an empirically proven fact is always a very shaky matter for any human being. If you are not sure about something due to your condition, asking if you know it by intuition or by fact might be a good litmus test. Your intuition is your own worst enemy, prplchknz!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Let's forget all the good arguments already given elsewhere and look at this from a logical/strategical perspective.

There are two options.

A. You are right about this B. You are wrong about this.

In the A scenario where you are right and there actually is a giant conspiracy based on publicly unknown advances in technology, you have the option to take the meds anyway and lead a normal and fearless life until the counterrevolution happens and you might be used against people, if it actually comes to that, or you can refuse to take your meds. However, since you are schizotypal, that would imply not being able to trust yourself and not being able to lead a functioning life until the day the counterrevolution happens (if it comes to that) when you might harm others and/or get killed in the upheaval yourself (both of these thingsmight happen anyway in a civil war scenario, even without robots controlling you!). Not only will there be little profit from not taking your meds, but there is a chance you might just as well be hospitalized because you can't fully function without your meds (just as somebdy with diabetics needs theirs).

In the B scenario you are having false fears that are caused by not taking your meds and those fears keep you from taking your meds. It's a vicious cycle. Your brain is playing tricks on you and keeps you from getting better or letting well-intentioned people help you. If this scenario continues long enough, you might end up hurting yourself and might end up being hospitalized for your own wellbeing because your condition will worsen more and more. They will force you to take your meds until your brain recovers and you will realize all this.
Alternatively, you could decide to make that leap of faith, take your meds again and hope that things will get better and the fear will disappear. There is a very, very high chance that'll happen.

So we have 4 scenarios
A1 - you are right and take them anyway - you eventually lose the "game" after years of comfort (0.5)
A2 - you are right and don't take them - you eventually win, but at a very high price (0.5)
B1 - you are wrong and take them - you win absolutely(1)
B2 - you are wrong and don't take them - you lose absolutely (0)

Let's assume for a moment that there is an equal chance of you being right or wrong. In that case the expected benefit of you taking the meds either way would be 0.75. The expected benefit of you not taking them would be 0.25.

So, mathematically speaking, even if there was a 50% chance that you are right about your suspicions, it would still be smarter to take your meds. It is 3x as beneficial to you even then!

And that is just the scenario for a 50-50 chance. Most people here will tell you the chances are more like 99.9999999999999999999 to 0.0000000000000000001

Also, with or without schizophrenia, trusting something you "just know" by intuition, not as an empirically proven fact is always a very shaky matter for any human being. If you are not sure about something due to your condition, asking if you know it by intuition or by fact might be a good litmus test. Your intuition is your own worst enemy, prplchknz!

my mom found out i wasn't taking them and is making me take them in front of her, so i no longer have a choice, but to be controlled. I can only see one option, and I don't want to implement it.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^That probably sucks at the moment (who wants to feel out of control?!) but is very, very likely to be good for you in the long run. I'm sorry for you that it had to come to this :(

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
^That probably sucks at the moment (who wants to feel out of control?!) but is very, very likely to be good for you in the long run. I'm sorry for you that it had to come to this :(

me too. I dunno i'm really scared though because what if they control me into doing something harmful to myself or someone else?

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From what you anticipate, you still have another 5-6 years before that might ever happen.
So either you will be laughing at this in a few days or weeks or, if you still fear this might happen after taking them religiously for a few more years, you can still get off them in time to be safe :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
From what you anticipate, you still have another 5-6 years before that might ever happen.
So either you will be laughing at this in a few days or weeks or, if you still fear this might happen after taking them religiously for a few more years, you can still get off them in time to be safe :)

what if i've miscalculated and it actually happens tomorrow, i'm not god.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If it happens tomorrow, you will have bigger problems than that. There will be people pillaging shops, burning down houses, killing each other (including those who don't take meds) and the nanorobots won't make much of a difference. Their influence on your chances of survival or chances of harming others will be minimal.

But how likely is that? These things don't start from one day to another, they develope slowly. There are early warning signs, it escalates more and more. Look at countries like Syria.
And if the government is so wellinformed and so powerful, they will be prepared ahead of time and nib it in the bud.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
If it happens tomorrow, you will have bigger problems than that. There will be people pillaging shops, burning down houses, killing each other (including those who don't take meds) and the nanorobots won't make much of a difference. Their influence on your chances of survival or chances of harming others will be minimal.

But how likely is that? These things don't start from one day to another, they develope slowly. There are early warning signs, it escalates more and more. Look at countries like Syria.
And if the government is so wellinformed and so powerful, they will be prepared ahead of time and nib it in the bud.
it has been building, what about the occupy movements?

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not much left of those. And I don't think they ever were a serious threat to begin with. No, it would take more than that. It would take masses of people from all walks of life getting seriously panicky and/or pissed and many of them being armed and organized. And as I said, it's not like they don't have drills where they train how to handle situations like that.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Not much left of those. And I don't think they ever were a serious threat to begin with. No, it would take more than that. It would take masses of people from all walks of life getting seriously panicky and/or pissed and many of them being armed and organized. And as I said, it's not like they don't have drills where they train how to handle situations like that.
fine, but i still don't want nano bots in my brain.