User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

Results 151 to 160 of 190

Thread: Psychosis

  1. #151
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,647

    Default

    Let's forget all the good arguments already given elsewhere and look at this from a logical/strategical perspective.

    There are two options.

    A. You are right about this B. You are wrong about this.

    In the A scenario where you are right and there actually is a giant conspiracy based on publicly unknown advances in technology, you have the option to take the meds anyway and lead a normal and fearless life until the counterrevolution happens and you might be used against people, if it actually comes to that, or you can refuse to take your meds. However, since you are schizotypal, that would imply not being able to trust yourself and not being able to lead a functioning life until the day the counterrevolution happens (if it comes to that) when you might harm others and/or get killed in the upheaval yourself (both of these thingsmight happen anyway in a civil war scenario, even without robots controlling you!). Not only will there be little profit from not taking your meds, but there is a chance you might just as well be hospitalized because you can't fully function without your meds (just as somebdy with diabetics needs theirs).


    In the B scenario you are having false fears that are caused by not taking your meds and those fears keep you from taking your meds. It's a vicious cycle. Your brain is playing tricks on you and keeps you from getting better or letting well-intentioned people help you. If this scenario continues long enough, you might end up hurting yourself and might end up being hospitalized for your own wellbeing because your condition will worsen more and more. They will force you to take your meds until your brain recovers and you will realize all this.
    Alternatively, you could decide to make that leap of faith, take your meds again and hope that things will get better and the fear will disappear. There is a very, very high chance that'll happen.



    So we have 4 scenarios
    A1 - you are right and take them anyway - you eventually lose the "game" after years of comfort (0.5)
    A2 - you are right and don't take them - you eventually win, but at a very high price (0.5)
    B1 - you are wrong and take them - you win absolutely(1)
    B2 - you are wrong and don't take them - you lose absolutely (0)

    Let's assume for a moment that there is an equal chance of you being right or wrong. In that case the expected benefit of you taking the meds either way would be 0.75. The expected benefit of you not taking them would be 0.25.


    So, mathematically speaking, even if there was a 50% chance that you are right about your suspicions, it would still be smarter to take your meds. It is 3x as beneficial to you even then!

    And that is just the scenario for a 50-50 chance. Most people here will tell you the chances are more like 99.9999999999999999999 to 0.0000000000000000001


    Also, with or without schizophrenia, trusting something you "just know" by intuition, not as an empirically proven fact is always a very shaky matter for any human being. If you are not sure about something due to your condition, asking if you know it by intuition or by fact might be a good litmus test. Your intuition is your own worst enemy, prplchknz!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  2. #152
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Let's forget all the good arguments already given elsewhere and look at this from a logical/strategical perspective.

    There are two options.

    A. You are right about this B. You are wrong about this.

    In the A scenario where you are right and there actually is a giant conspiracy based on publicly unknown advances in technology, you have the option to take the meds anyway and lead a normal and fearless life until the counterrevolution happens and you might be used against people, if it actually comes to that, or you can refuse to take your meds. However, since you are schizotypal, that would imply not being able to trust yourself and not being able to lead a functioning life until the day the counterrevolution happens (if it comes to that) when you might harm others and/or get killed in the upheaval yourself (both of these thingsmight happen anyway in a civil war scenario, even without robots controlling you!). Not only will there be little profit from not taking your meds, but there is a chance you might just as well be hospitalized because you can't fully function without your meds (just as somebdy with diabetics needs theirs).


    In the B scenario you are having false fears that are caused by not taking your meds and those fears keep you from taking your meds. It's a vicious cycle. Your brain is playing tricks on you and keeps you from getting better or letting well-intentioned people help you. If this scenario continues long enough, you might end up hurting yourself and might end up being hospitalized for your own wellbeing because your condition will worsen more and more. They will force you to take your meds until your brain recovers and you will realize all this.
    Alternatively, you could decide to make that leap of faith, take your meds again and hope that things will get better and the fear will disappear. There is a very, very high chance that'll happen.



    So we have 4 scenarios
    A1 - you are right and take them anyway - you eventually lose the "game" after years of comfort (0.5)
    A2 - you are right and don't take them - you eventually win, but at a very high price (0.5)
    B1 - you are wrong and take them - you win absolutely(1)
    B2 - you are wrong and don't take them - you lose absolutely (0)

    Let's assume for a moment that there is an equal chance of you being right or wrong. In that case the expected benefit of you taking the meds either way would be 0.75. The expected benefit of you not taking them would be 0.25.


    So, mathematically speaking, even if there was a 50% chance that you are right about your suspicions, it would still be smarter to take your meds. It is 3x as beneficial to you even then!

    And that is just the scenario for a 50-50 chance. Most people here will tell you the chances are more like 99.9999999999999999999 to 0.0000000000000000001


    Also, with or without schizophrenia, trusting something you "just know" by intuition, not as an empirically proven fact is always a very shaky matter for any human being. If you are not sure about something due to your condition, asking if you know it by intuition or by fact might be a good litmus test. Your intuition is your own worst enemy, prplchknz!
    my mom found out i wasn't taking them and is making me take them in front of her, so i no longer have a choice, but to be controlled. I can only see one option, and I don't want to implement it.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  3. #153
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,647

    Default

    ^That probably sucks at the moment (who wants to feel out of control?!) but is very, very likely to be good for you in the long run. I'm sorry for you that it had to come to this
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  4. #154
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    ^That probably sucks at the moment (who wants to feel out of control?!) but is very, very likely to be good for you in the long run. I'm sorry for you that it had to come to this
    me too. I dunno i'm really scared though because what if they control me into doing something harmful to myself or someone else?
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  5. #155
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,647

    Default

    From what you anticipate, you still have another 5-6 years before that might ever happen.
    So either you will be laughing at this in a few days or weeks or, if you still fear this might happen after taking them religiously for a few more years, you can still get off them in time to be safe
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  6. #156
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    From what you anticipate, you still have another 5-6 years before that might ever happen.
    So either you will be laughing at this in a few days or weeks or, if you still fear this might happen after taking them religiously for a few more years, you can still get off them in time to be safe
    what if i've miscalculated and it actually happens tomorrow, i'm not god.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  7. #157
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,647

    Default

    If it happens tomorrow, you will have bigger problems than that. There will be people pillaging shops, burning down houses, killing each other (including those who don't take meds) and the nanorobots won't make much of a difference. Their influence on your chances of survival or chances of harming others will be minimal.

    But how likely is that? These things don't start from one day to another, they develope slowly. There are early warning signs, it escalates more and more. Look at countries like Syria.
    And if the government is so wellinformed and so powerful, they will be prepared ahead of time and nib it in the bud.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  8. #158
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    If it happens tomorrow, you will have bigger problems than that. There will be people pillaging shops, burning down houses, killing each other (including those who don't take meds) and the nanorobots won't make much of a difference. Their influence on your chances of survival or chances of harming others will be minimal.

    But how likely is that? These things don't start from one day to another, they develope slowly. There are early warning signs, it escalates more and more. Look at countries like Syria.
    And if the government is so wellinformed and so powerful, they will be prepared ahead of time and nib it in the bud.
    it has been building, what about the occupy movements?
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  9. #159
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,647

    Default

    Not much left of those. And I don't think they ever were a serious threat to begin with. No, it would take more than that. It would take masses of people from all walks of life getting seriously panicky and/or pissed and many of them being armed and organized. And as I said, it's not like they don't have drills where they train how to handle situations like that.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  10. #160
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Not much left of those. And I don't think they ever were a serious threat to begin with. No, it would take more than that. It would take masses of people from all walks of life getting seriously panicky and/or pissed and many of them being armed and organized. And as I said, it's not like they don't have drills where they train how to handle situations like that.
    fine, but i still don't want nano bots in my brain.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

Similar Threads

  1. Psychosis or Spiritual Awakening: Phil Borges at TEDxUMKC
    By phobik in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 12-03-2016, 12:53 PM
  2. Schizophrenia vs Psychosis
    By Doomkid in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-22-2015, 05:56 PM
  3. why i have a hard time accepting i have any type of psychosis
    By prplchknz in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 06-22-2013, 05:54 PM
  4. Psychosis and... Me? One year later
    By Oeufa in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-02-2012, 11:03 PM
  5. Psychosis and... Me?
    By Oeufa in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 192
    Last Post: 05-06-2011, 11:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO