User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Extroversion

  1. #1
    half-nut member briochick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    637

    Default Extroversion

    Can someone please PLEASE define "extroversion" for me because my personality text book has given no less than five definitions and none of them are really even near "being exceptionally socially active or outgoing," as is the general colloquial definition I was raised on.
    -Brio

    "I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt
    ___________________

  2. #2
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Being more engaged by the world external to your mind than by the world internal to your mind.

    Edit, I just realized I've responded to two of your Psych posts in a row. Frustrating class?

  3. #3
    Sweet Ocean Cloud SD45T-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    I'll take a stab at it.

    It means being primarily outward-focused and energized by interacting with other people, whereas introverts expend energy when socializing and need time alone to recharge.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

    "I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

  4. #4
    half-nut member briochick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    637

    Default

    So, apparently I spelled the word incorrectly, sorry about that; it's extraversion... I don't know if that changes the definition.
    What my book says extraversion is:

    "sociable and out-going, but...encompasses much more than that...such as "active," outspoken," "dominant," forceful," adventurous," and even "spunky"...

    "Extraversion
    Positive Correlates
    Talkative
    Assertive
    Energetic
    Outgoing
    Dominant
    Enthusiastic"

    "Some regard extravers as impulsive, risk taking, and unreliable, others view them as cheerful, upbeat, and optimistic. Still other psychologists describe extraverts as ambitious, hardworking, and achievement oriented. Extravers are prone to make moral judgments that hold people responsible for the effects of their actions, even if the effects were unintentional. Both male and female extraverts achieve higher status. Extravers are consistently rated as more popular and more physically attractive than introverts....argue that the best way to conceive of extraversion is in terms of the positive emotions that extravers tend to experience...extraverts are more likely than introverts to be happy, long-lived, healthy, and grateful. They have more success in dating and relationships, and are viewed as more attractive. They are more satisfied with their jobs, more involved in their communities, and more likely to attain positions of leadership."

    "extraversion, conscientiousness, and agreeableness tend to be highest in the Midwest and Southeast..." (there is also a figure showing exstraversion as high in Sweden, Norway, Belgium, Spain, Switzerland, and Turkey)

    "Extraverts feel good, they are peppy. That's why they act the way they do."

    However; if extraversion really is happieness and socialness is just a symptom of that it would explain why they say the MBTI is retest inconsistent...
    -Brio

    "I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt
    ___________________

  5. #5
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by briochick View Post
    Can someone please PLEASE define "extroversion" for me because my personality text book has given no less than five definitions and none of them are really even near "being exceptionally socially active or outgoing," as is the general colloquial definition I was raised on.
    MBTI extroversion and the typical meaning of extroversion can be very different. For you to be extroverted in mbti, it means that the cognitive function that you use the most is extroverted (i.e., Extroverted intuition (Ne), Extroverted Feeling (Fe), Extroverted Sensing (Se), and Extroverted Thinking (Te). So in order for you, personally to figure out if you are extroverted, you need to figure out if you use Ne or Fi more.

  6. #6
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    It's different in different theories. Some people define it classically as being social or needing more alone time. By this definition I am not an extrovert. If people talk to me too much, or try to interrupt what I'm doing or thinking about, I sometimes want to rip their face off, and often walk alone and shop alone.

    Keirsey defines it as being expressive or not. So I can be expressive but not necessarily desire companionship of others, and be a Performer rather than a Composer.

    By Jungian function theory it would just be if your focus in more inward or outward, like are you an Se or Si dom. Fe doms would be the most "social" so look the most extroverted in the classic definition of the word, when people say ENFJs aren't social I tend to think they have no idea what an Fe dom is. An Fe dom is the socially preoccupied of the Jungian extroverts.

    If you're an Ne dom or Se dom, your perceptions are turned outward, and your constant state would be to be constantly seeking external perceptions or experiences or ideas, not necessarily always people or conversations.

    I had a really hard time with this, though, because Ne makes ENFPs more introverted than some extroverts, and Se makes ISFPs appear more externally focused than some introverts, and both are commonly referred to as ambiverts.

    If I were you I would decide which theory makes most sense to you, and type yourself by that.

  7. #7
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    It's different in different theories.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    MBTI extroversion and the typical meaning of extroversion can be very different.
    Right, exactly. Clarification -

    @briochick, I assumed you were asking in MBTI terms, so the definition that I gave (being more engaged by the world external to your mind than by the world internal to your mind) is an MBTI Extraversion descriptor.

    Quote Originally Posted by briochick View Post
    What my book says extraversion is:

    "sociable and out-going, but...encompasses much more than that...such as "active," outspoken," "dominant," forceful," adventurous," and even "spunky"...

    "Extraversion
    Positive Correlates
    Talkative
    Assertive
    Energetic
    Outgoing
    Dominant
    Enthusiastic"

    "Some regard extravers as impulsive, risk taking, and unreliable, others view them as cheerful, upbeat, and optimistic. Still other psychologists describe extraverts as ambitious, hardworking, and achievement oriented. Extravers are prone to make moral judgments that hold people responsible for the effects of their actions, even if the effects were unintentional. Both male and female extraverts achieve higher status. Extravers are consistently rated as more popular and more physically attractive than introverts....argue that the best way to conceive of extraversion is in terms of the positive emotions that extravers tend to experience...extraverts are more likely than introverts to be happy, long-lived, healthy, and grateful. They have more success in dating and relationships, and are viewed as more attractive. They are more satisfied with their jobs, more involved in their communities, and more likely to attain positions of leadership."

    "extraversion, conscientiousness, and agreeableness tend to be highest in the Midwest and Southeast..." (there is also a figure showing exstraversion as high in Sweden, Norway, Belgium, Spain, Switzerland, and Turkey)

    "Extraverts feel good, they are peppy. That's why they act the way they do."

    However; if extraversion really is happieness and socialness is just a symptom of that it would explain why they say the MBTI is retest inconsistent...
    Bold #1 is interesting. That's called an "internal locus of control", and has a general correlation with achievement-orientation and higher salary.

    I think the book is trying to give the general consensus on extraverted attitude, but at the same time, it's grouping a whole lot of factors that may or may not apply to each person. Perhaps I'm expressive and submissive; perhaps you're dominant but not very talkative; perhaps I'm assertive but not "peppy"; etc. The MBTI is more discriminating about this - an IxxJ will be likely to be quiet but assertive while an ExxP will probably be more social but not as strong-willed.

    The second text I've bolded, IMO, is odd. I wouldn't equate extraversion and positive emotion - though I assume what the book is trying to get through is that extraversion can promote and sustain shared positive emotion. Personally, I think there's a little too much blurring here between "extraverted" and "happy" and "satisfied" and "successful".

    Have you asked your professor their opinion? Could be interesting to hear.

  8. #8
    half-nut member briochick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post

    Bold #1 is interesting. That's called an "internal locus of control", and has a general correlation with achievement-orientation and higher salary.

    I think the book is trying to give the general consensus on extraverted attitude, but at the same time, it's grouping a whole lot of factors that may or may not apply to each person. Perhaps I'm expressive and submissive; perhaps you're dominant but not very talkative; perhaps I'm assertive but not "peppy"; etc. The MBTI is more discriminating about this - an IxxJ will be likely to be quiet but assertive while an ExxP will probably be more social but not as strong-willed.

    The second text I've bolded, IMO, is odd. I wouldn't equate extraversion and positive emotion - though I assume what the book is trying to get through is that extraversion can promote and sustain shared positive emotion. Personally, I think there's a little too much blurring here between "extraverted" and "happy" and "satisfied" and "successful".

    Have you asked your professor their opinion? Could be interesting to hear.
    I have asked my professor. His response was "That is a good question. A lot of people think a lot of different things and it can be hard to define because it encompasses so many traits."
    Hence, my pursuing the answer outside of psychology class.

    I agree about the locus of control. The grouping of factors confuses me because it's such a broad assessment that it's almost impossible to be wrong. Isn't that cheating?

    I am also uncomfortable with the book's clear and enthusiastic endorsement that Extrovert=happy/satisfied/successful

    Later, the section of the book about positive psychology says that people who are both negatively emotionally oriented and positively emotionally oriented can find happiness and contentment and that was pretty confusing. By definition, as I understand it, a person who was negatively emotionally oriented wouldn't even notice if they were finally happy.
    -Brio

    "I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt
    ___________________

  9. #9
    Sweet Ocean Cloud SD45T-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by briochick View Post
    I am also uncomfortable with the book's clear and enthusiastic endorsement that Extrovert=happy/satisfied/successful
    By that definition I'm one of the most introverted people on the planet.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

    "I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

  10. #10
    Senior Member Circle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    116

    Default

    I think this is also why ENFPs can be susceptible to paranoia.

Similar Threads

  1. Extroversion = Shallowness?
    By miss fortune in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 09:11 PM
  2. How Extroversion feels
    By SeanMC86 in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 10:05 AM
  3. Extroverts: How do you experience extroversion?
    By proteanmix in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 05:29 PM
  4. Healthy Introversion/Extroversion
    By proteanmix in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-24-2007, 05:44 PM
  5. Extroversion
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-28-2007, 01:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO