• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extroversion

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Can someone please PLEASE define "extroversion" for me because my personality text book has given no less than five definitions and none of them are really even near "being exceptionally socially active or outgoing," as is the general colloquial definition I was raised on.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Being more engaged by the world external to your mind than by the world internal to your mind.

Edit, I just realized I've responded to two of your Psych posts in a row. Frustrating class?

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'll take a stab at it.

It means being primarily outward-focused and energized by interacting with other people, whereas introverts expend energy when socializing and need time alone to recharge.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
So, apparently I spelled the word incorrectly, sorry about that; it's extraversion... I don't know if that changes the definition.
What my book says extraversion is:

"sociable and out-going, but...encompasses much more than that...such as "active," outspoken," "dominant," forceful," adventurous," and even "spunky"...

"Extraversion
Positive Correlates
Talkative
Assertive
Energetic
Outgoing
Dominant
Enthusiastic"

"Some regard extravers as impulsive, risk taking, and unreliable, others view them as cheerful, upbeat, and optimistic. Still other psychologists describe extraverts as ambitious, hardworking, and achievement oriented. Extravers are prone to make moral judgments that hold people responsible for the effects of their actions, even if the effects were unintentional. Both male and female extraverts achieve higher status. Extravers are consistently rated as more popular and more physically attractive than introverts....argue that the best way to conceive of extraversion is in terms of the positive emotions that extravers tend to experience...extraverts are more likely than introverts to be happy, long-lived, healthy, and grateful. They have more success in dating and relationships, and are viewed as more attractive. They are more satisfied with their jobs, more involved in their communities, and more likely to attain positions of leadership."

"extraversion, conscientiousness, and agreeableness tend to be highest in the Midwest and Southeast..." (there is also a figure showing exstraversion as high in Sweden, Norway, Belgium, Spain, Switzerland, and Turkey)

"Extraverts feel good, they are peppy. That's why they act the way they do."

However; if extraversion really is happieness and socialness is just a symptom of that it would explain why they say the MBTI is retest inconsistent...

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Can someone please PLEASE define "extroversion" for me because my personality text book has given no less than five definitions and none of them are really even near "being exceptionally socially active or outgoing," as is the general colloquial definition I was raised on.

MBTI extroversion and the typical meaning of extroversion can be very different. For you to be extroverted in mbti, it means that the cognitive function that you use the most is extroverted (i.e., Extroverted intuition (Ne), Extroverted Feeling (Fe), Extroverted Sensing (Se), and Extroverted Thinking (Te). So in order for you, personally to figure out if you are extroverted, you need to figure out if you use Ne or Fi more.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's different in different theories. Some people define it classically as being social or needing more alone time. By this definition I am not an extrovert. If people talk to me too much, or try to interrupt what I'm doing or thinking about, I sometimes want to rip their face off, and often walk alone and shop alone.

Keirsey defines it as being expressive or not. So I can be expressive but not necessarily desire companionship of others, and be a Performer rather than a Composer.

By Jungian function theory it would just be if your focus in more inward or outward, like are you an Se or Si dom. Fe doms would be the most "social" so look the most extroverted in the classic definition of the word, when people say ENFJs aren't social I tend to think they have no idea what an Fe dom is. An Fe dom is the socially preoccupied of the Jungian extroverts.

If you're an Ne dom or Se dom, your perceptions are turned outward, and your constant state would be to be constantly seeking external perceptions or experiences or ideas, not necessarily always people or conversations.

I had a really hard time with this, though, because Ne makes ENFPs more introverted than some extroverts, and Se makes ISFPs appear more externally focused than some introverts, and both are commonly referred to as ambiverts.

If I were you I would decide which theory makes most sense to you, and type yourself by that.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's different in different theories.

MBTI extroversion and the typical meaning of extroversion can be very different.

Right, exactly. Clarification -

[MENTION=5808]briochick[/MENTION], I assumed you were asking in MBTI terms, so the definition that I gave (being more engaged by the world external to your mind than by the world internal to your mind) is an MBTI Extraversion descriptor.

What my book says extraversion is:

"sociable and out-going, but...encompasses much more than that...such as "active," outspoken," "dominant," forceful," adventurous," and even "spunky"...

"Extraversion
Positive Correlates
Talkative
Assertive
Energetic
Outgoing
Dominant
Enthusiastic"

"Some regard extravers as impulsive, risk taking, and unreliable, others view them as cheerful, upbeat, and optimistic. Still other psychologists describe extraverts as ambitious, hardworking, and achievement oriented. Extravers are prone to make moral judgments that hold people responsible for the effects of their actions, even if the effects were unintentional. Both male and female extraverts achieve higher status. Extravers are consistently rated as more popular and more physically attractive than introverts....argue that the best way to conceive of extraversion is in terms of the positive emotions that extravers tend to experience...extraverts are more likely than introverts to be happy, long-lived, healthy, and grateful. They have more success in dating and relationships, and are viewed as more attractive. They are more satisfied with their jobs, more involved in their communities, and more likely to attain positions of leadership."

"extraversion, conscientiousness, and agreeableness tend to be highest in the Midwest and Southeast..." (there is also a figure showing exstraversion as high in Sweden, Norway, Belgium, Spain, Switzerland, and Turkey)

"Extraverts feel good, they are peppy. That's why they act the way they do."

However; if extraversion really is happieness and socialness is just a symptom of that it would explain why they say the MBTI is retest inconsistent...

Bold #1 is interesting. That's called an "internal locus of control", and has a general correlation with achievement-orientation and higher salary.

I think the book is trying to give the general consensus on extraverted attitude, but at the same time, it's grouping a whole lot of factors that may or may not apply to each person. Perhaps I'm expressive and submissive; perhaps you're dominant but not very talkative; perhaps I'm assertive but not "peppy"; etc. The MBTI is more discriminating about this - an IxxJ will be likely to be quiet but assertive while an ExxP will probably be more social but not as strong-willed.

The second text I've bolded, IMO, is odd. I wouldn't equate extraversion and positive emotion - though I assume what the book is trying to get through is that extraversion can promote and sustain shared positive emotion. Personally, I think there's a little too much blurring here between "extraverted" and "happy" and "satisfied" and "successful".

Have you asked your professor their opinion? Could be interesting to hear.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Bold #1 is interesting. That's called an "internal locus of control", and has a general correlation with achievement-orientation and higher salary.

I think the book is trying to give the general consensus on extraverted attitude, but at the same time, it's grouping a whole lot of factors that may or may not apply to each person. Perhaps I'm expressive and submissive; perhaps you're dominant but not very talkative; perhaps I'm assertive but not "peppy"; etc. The MBTI is more discriminating about this - an IxxJ will be likely to be quiet but assertive while an ExxP will probably be more social but not as strong-willed.

The second text I've bolded, IMO, is odd. I wouldn't equate extraversion and positive emotion - though I assume what the book is trying to get through is that extraversion can promote and sustain shared positive emotion. Personally, I think there's a little too much blurring here between "extraverted" and "happy" and "satisfied" and "successful".

Have you asked your professor their opinion? Could be interesting to hear.

I have asked my professor. His response was "That is a good question. A lot of people think a lot of different things and it can be hard to define because it encompasses so many traits."
Hence, my pursuing the answer outside of psychology class.

I agree about the locus of control. The grouping of factors confuses me because it's such a broad assessment that it's almost impossible to be wrong. Isn't that cheating?

I am also uncomfortable with the book's clear and enthusiastic endorsement that Extrovert=happy/satisfied/successful

Later, the section of the book about positive psychology says that people who are both negatively emotionally oriented and positively emotionally oriented can find happiness and contentment and that was pretty confusing. By definition, as I understand it, a person who was negatively emotionally oriented wouldn't even notice if they were finally happy.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I am also uncomfortable with the book's clear and enthusiastic endorsement that Extrovert=happy/satisfied/successful
By that definition I'm one of the most introverted people on the planet. :dry:

Circle

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think this is also why ENFPs can be susceptible to paranoia.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
lol...why can we be susceptible to paranoia? Not that I'm doubting, just asking for you to explain your reasoning.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
At least one study found no relationship between extraversion/introversion and having an internal/external locus of control. They did find a relationship between external locus of control and neuroticism, which makes sense.

One (non-MBTI-based) theory of extraversion vs introversion has to do with baseline level of neurological arousal. Those with a high baseline level (introverts) need only a minimal amount of external stimulation to be in an optimal range. Those with a low baseline level (extraverts) need more external stimulation to be in an optimal range.

In addition, other studies have shown that introverts tend to be more reactive to external stimuli (like salivating more when they taste lemon juice) that extraverts are. That also fits well with preferring less external stimuli.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Being more engaged by the world external to your mind than by the world internal to your mind.

Edit, I just realized I've responded to two of your Psych posts in a row. Frustrating class?

I think this is also why ENFPs can be susceptible to paranoia.

Haha! Um! Wth yo! Why are you calling us paranoid out of the blue like that what could this possibly have to do with that?

Circle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Pattern recognition of Ne + harmony sensitivity of Fi = paranoia.

EDIT: Also, I hope you don't feel I was attacking you ENFPs. :p

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx

Thanks for clarifying. I can't speak for Lady X but I certainly didn't feel attacked. I thought you were probably teasing, which is why I responded with "lol."

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

There are a number of other types more susceptible to paranoia than ENFPs. Rather, ENFPs are susceptible to a more general situational worry. I imagine cynical skepticism would be held more by NTs and STJs over others.

Circle

MBTI Type
INFJ
There are a number of other types more susceptible to paranoia than ENFPs. Rather, ENFPs are susceptible to a more general situational worry. I imagine cynical skepticism would be held more by NTs and STJs over others.

I think they can end up seeming needy to other people because they often need more external data to confirm or disprove the feeling they have. The paranoia seems like a situational one to me, for sure.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think they can end up seeming needy to other people because they often need more external data to confirm or disprove the feeling they have. The paranoia seems like a situational one to me, for sure.

This is very true, especially, for me, in relationships.

I am an enneagram 6 so this is probably exacerbated. :)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

Its what the I people refuse to accept as a part of life

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Extraversion can actually be really frustrating, though, which it seems like introverts don't grasp. They might experience their related struggles in the midst of people, which to them seems worse, but we experience our struggles when we are alone, which is more stressful for us. And extraversion is no guarantee of being skilled with people. It just means you process better when you're around external stimulation.