• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extroversion

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Can someone please PLEASE define "extroversion" for me because my personality text book has given no less than five definitions and none of them are really even near "being exceptionally socially active or outgoing," as is the general colloquial definition I was raised on.

Yeah that common definition is bullshit, based around assumptions, rumour and convenient stereotypes.

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What my book says extraversion is:

"sociable and out-going, but...encompasses much more than that...such as "active," outspoken," "dominant," forceful," adventurous," and even "spunky"...

"Extraversion
Positive Correlates
Talkative
Assertive
Energetic
Outgoing
Dominant
Enthusiastic"

"Some regard extravers as impulsive, risk taking, and unreliable, others view them as cheerful, upbeat, and optimistic. Still other psychologists describe extraverts as ambitious, hardworking, and achievement oriented. Extravers are prone to make moral judgments that hold people responsible for the effects of their actions, even if the effects were unintentional. Both male and female extraverts achieve higher status. Extravers are consistently rated as more popular and more physically attractive than introverts....argue that the best way to conceive of extraversion is in terms of the positive emotions that extravers tend to experience...extraverts are more likely than introverts to be happy, long-lived, healthy, and grateful. They have more success in dating and relationships, and are viewed as more attractive. They are more satisfied with their jobs, more involved in their communities, and more likely to attain positions of leadership."

"extraversion, conscientiousness, and agreeableness tend to be highest in the Midwest and Southeast..." (there is also a figure showing exstraversion as high in Sweden, Norway, Belgium, Spain, Switzerland, and Turkey)

"Extraverts feel good, they are peppy. That's why they act the way they do."

You know you are an introvert when you read this and think to yourself "kill me already."

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hah well I thought the same.

oh youuu! :hug:

I get that the whole thing is from a book and not at all related to mbti so I'm coming from this.. Even the most extraverted people I know only fit this description on the surface. Damn glorified images.