User Tag List

First 123

Thread: Extroversion

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by briochick View Post
    Can someone please PLEASE define "extroversion" for me because my personality text book has given no less than five definitions and none of them are really even near "being exceptionally socially active or outgoing," as is the general colloquial definition I was raised on.
    Yeah that common definition is bullshit, based around assumptions, rumour and convenient stereotypes.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by briochick View Post
    What my book says extraversion is:

"sociable and out-going, but...encompasses much more than that...such as "active," outspoken," "dominant," forceful," adventurous," and even "spunky"...

"Extraversion
    Positive Correlates
    Talkative
    Assertive
    Energetic
    Outgoing
    Dominant
    Enthusiastic"

"Some regard extravers as impulsive, risk taking, and unreliable, others view them as cheerful, upbeat, and optimistic. Still other psychologists describe extraverts as ambitious, hardworking, and achievement oriented. Extravers are prone to make moral judgments that hold people responsible for the effects of their actions, even if the effects were unintentional. Both male and female extraverts achieve higher status. Extravers are consistently rated as more popular and more physically attractive than introverts....argue that the best way to conceive of extraversion is in terms of the positive emotions that extravers tend to experience...extraverts are more likely than introverts to be happy, long-lived, healthy, and grateful. They have more success in dating and relationships, and are viewed as more attractive. They are more satisfied with their jobs, more involved in their communities, and more likely to attain positions of leadership."

"extraversion, conscientiousness, and agreeableness tend to be highest in the Midwest and Southeast..." (there is also a figure showing exstraversion as high in Sweden, Norway, Belgium, Spain, Switzerland, and Turkey)

"Extraverts feel good, they are peppy. That's why they act the way they do."
    You know you are an introvert when you read this and think to yourself "kill me already."

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joehobo View Post
    You know you are an introvert when you read this and think to yourself "kill me already."
    Hah well I thought the same.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Hah well I thought the same.
    oh youuu!

I get that the whole thing is from a book and not at all related to mbti so I'm coming from this.. Even the most extraverted people I know only fit this description on the surface. Damn glorified images.