User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    Fuck the DSM, frankly. Arbitrary rubbish that changes with popular opinion - you won't learn anything about yourself or anyone else from it.
    I would agree on "fuck the DSM" and largely with the sentiment that it changes with the times. I don't think it's entirely rubbish, though--it has its use. The problem is how much power the mental health profession allows it to have and what therapies it implicitly dictates (and the funding for the project is horrifyingly associated with that). But mental illness IS a thing, and it IS helpful to be able to talk across disciplines about it, which is the main advantage of the DSM. (Still, I agree: fuck the DSM.)
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    yupp

so if they take schizoaffective out does that mean i'm no longer sick *prays they are*
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I'm not familiar with the CID; I feel like I've learned about an alternative to the DSM and can't recall the details. What is it? A cursory google search did not help me.
    Oh, sorry, I meant the ICD! It classifies all kinds of diseases and conditions in addition to mental disorders. You can browse it here.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Oh, sorry, I meant the ICD! It classifies all kinds of diseases and conditions in addition to mental disorders. You can browse it here.
    Oh! Interesting. I'm not sure if this is what we've talked about in class or not. However, one of the criticisms that is often posed for the DSM is that it is too medicalized; given that, I imagine that a lot of people still find it problematic (I take a fairly moderate point of view in that respect and don't know enough about this yet to comment).
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    so if they take schizoaffective out does that mean i'm no longer sick *prays they are*
    It's an interesting problem, isn't it? As a non-medical aspiring professional, I would ask you if you think you're "sick," if your experiences get in the way of you accomplishing activities of daily living or achieving [reasonable--there's another can of worms, right?] goals that you set for yourself.
    INFJ

MBTI
    IsFJ

Oh! Interesting. I'm not sure if this is what we've talked about in class or not. However, one of the criticisms that is often posed for the DSM is that it is too medicalized; given that, I imagine that a lot of people still find it problematic (I take a fairly moderate point of view in that respect and don't know enough about this yet to comment).
    Well, it wouldn't be much of a diagnostics manual if it wasn't medicine-focused, would it?
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Well, it wouldn't be much of a diagnostics manual if it wasn't medicine-focused, would it?
    yes. this is why i have a more moderate position than some.
    INFJ

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

All of the personality disorder diagnoses are really, really problematic--but since we're talking about what's in the DSM, I hardly think you can say, when looking at the checklists of symptoms, that borderline has more to do with extraversion than histrionic does. HPD is pretty damn externally-focused--not that BPD isn't, but HPD seems moreso to me.
    im not sure why - histrionic is merely expressive - someone who has a seductive personality, who is openly emotional, etc.

I could get into it more, but I dont even think being histrionic is pathological, its more like personality traits that annoy certain kinds of people. It merely means being dramatic, for the most part. You could potentially see this in IxFx but I would agree its more of an F thing.

To me histrionic personality disorder is just sexist, finding sexually confident women threatening even while similar behavior is encouraged in men, and it would be combined with expressiveness of emotion, that bugs some people, they call it emo now, but there have always been femme fatales and flaming gay men and strippers and I think even the old gothic movement was pretty theatrical at its core. So was punk.

BPD on the other hand is entirely external, the person with BPD doesn't have a stable sense of self, acts out, hates being alone. Besides people with BPD are pretty sick, the ones Ive known.

I think people with HPD are usually more highly functioning and may be written of as annoying or entertaining, depending on who is around them.

BPD needs to stay in the DSM far more than HPD or even NPD.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    honey schizoaffective is in the bipolar spectrum, and on the severe end of the spectrum because it involves schizophrenic type symptoms; its not a personality disorder

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Another thing I want to add here is that I dont think HPD should be clustered in with BPD under any circumstance because a defining HPD feature is pride in ones self, unwillingness to conform, while people with BPD have a poor sense of self.

HPD people are also more highly functioning, and in my estimation are being perceived as eccentric or annoying but that doesn't make them sick.

For example an emo kid who dresses theatrically and is emotionally expressive may just be...being themselves, not being shallow or demanding to be the center of attention.

I really think HPD is a perception issue, by the outsider. Its devaluing a certain kind of person who may be totally functioning, but different.

I was only briefly diagnosed with this by one person aNd Im fairly certain its because I said I was an adult entertainer.

No bueno.

People with BPD also often break the law or hurt others, while people with HPD are again...annoying? Non conformist? Irritatingly sexy?

I dont think it belongs in the DSM.