User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm no psychologist, but I think it's a matter of the degree/extremity of the behaviours described there.
    Withdrawal is a real issue but the description is problematic, especially the use of the word preference. What I think they are trying to say is an active preference to socially detach from other people. We introverts don't really have a choice but those who are not have, and if they choose to over-ride their natural tendencies and withdraw, then it could be a symptom of a problem.
    In other words, this is what happens when a non-introvert starts acting like one
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Maybe it's covered under Narcissistic or Histrionic Personality Disorder?
    How about mania?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

I was going to object to histrionic PD, but yeah, that does seem like pathologized extraversion. I work with the DSM quite a lot now that I'm pursuing the MSW to licensed clinician route, and people in social work are very, very ambivalent about the DSM because it is so deficits-based and medicalized. I see a use for it--it's good to be able to talk across professions about a client's needs based on a diagnosis. But when you learn about 1. the history of diagnoses (like homosexuality, as the classic example) and 2. the huge funding bias it has to big pharm, the DSM seems like a pretty dangerous thing to regard as biblical (kind of like the Bible, really!).

That said, it's good to remember that when clinicians and psychiatrists are diagnosing a person, usually they are diagnosing a problem that is getting in the way of that person's functioning and independence--something that led to the person showing up in a hospital or office. There is a difference between someone who is an introvert and someone who is social-phobic, in my opinion. In either case, if a person is to work on something like "withdrawal" or social phobia or whatever, the person needs to want to do that (which generally means that s/he needs to identify it as a problem him/herself).
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Fuck the DSM, frankly. Arbitrary rubbish that changes with popular opinion - you won't learn anything about yourself or anyone else from it.
    Hello

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm really happy my theatrics (and the theatrics of others) are being taken out of the DSM, as well. Histrionic is no longer going to be the DSM either (one therapist diagnosed me as Histrionic several years ago, but subsequent therapists utterly ignored this diagnosis, seemed to erase it).

@Eileen

Histrionic isn't pathologicalized extroversion, actually Borderline Personality Disorder is pathologicalized extroversion, as is narcissism...narcissism I think may be taken out of the DSM as well, though.

Which means I can go back to calling narcissists "bad people"?

Step into my office. Luv Deluxe's Avatar
    MBTI
    NiSe
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Histrionic isn't pathologicalized extroversion, actually Borderline Personality Disorder is pathologicalized extroversion, as is narcissism...narcissism I think may be taken out of the DSM as well, though.

Which means I can go back to calling narcissists "bad people"?
    So, according to you, would introverts be unable to present with BPD?
    AMERICAN TRASH
    Ni > Se > Fe > Ti
    7w6 cp
    so SX it hurts
    Sanguine/Choleric
    Chaotic Good

~ Gryffindor on the streets, Slytherin in the sheets ~

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by AntiheroComplex View Post
    So, according to you, would introverts be unable to present with BPD?
    No, but one of the symptoms of BPD is intolerance of being alone, and feelings of emptiness or boredom when not externally preoccupied from one's own self.

Even if you're some kind of introvert, you're clearly externally focused in an unhealthy way.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    No, but one of the symptoms of BPD is intolerance of being alone, and feelings of emptiness or boredom when not externally preoccupied from one's own self.

Even if you're some kind of introvert, you're clearly externally focused in an unhealthy way.
    All of the personality disorder diagnoses are really, really problematic--but since we're talking about what's in the DSM, I hardly think you can say, when looking at the checklists of symptoms, that borderline has more to do with extraversion than histrionic does. HPD is pretty damn externally-focused--not that BPD isn't, but HPD seems moreso to me.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I was going to object to histrionic PD, but yeah, that does seem like pathologized extraversion. I work with the DSM quite a lot now that I'm pursuing the MSW to licensed clinician route, and people in social work are very, very ambivalent about the DSM because it is so deficits-based and medicalized. I see a use for it--it's good to be able to talk across professions about a client's needs based on a diagnosis. But when you learn about 1. the history of diagnoses (like homosexuality, as the classic example) and 2. the huge funding bias it has to big pharm, the DSM seems like a pretty dangerous thing to regard as biblical (kind of like the Bible, really!).

That said, it's good to remember that when clinicians and psychiatrists are diagnosing a person, usually they are diagnosing a problem that is getting in the way of that person's functioning and independence--something that led to the person showing up in a hospital or office. There is a difference between someone who is an introvert and someone who is social-phobic, in my opinion. In either case, if a person is to work on something like "withdrawal" or social phobia or whatever, the person needs to want to do that (which generally means that s/he needs to identify it as a problem him/herself).
    Is the CID any better? I'm curious.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Is the CID any better? I'm curious.
    I'm not familiar with the CID; I feel like I've learned about an alternative to the DSM and can't recall the details. What is it? A cursory google search did not help me.
    INFJ