User Tag List

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Internet usage and depression

I found this article extremely interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/17/op...-internet.html

There were two major findings. First, we identified several features of Internet usage that correlated with depression. In other words, we found a trend: in general, the more a participant’s score on the survey indicated depression, the more his or her Internet usage included these (rather technical-sounding) features — for instance, “p2p packets,” which indicate high levels of sharing files (like movies and music).

Our second major discovery was that there were patterns of Internet usage that were statistically high among participants with depressive symptoms compared with those without symptoms. That is, we found indicators: styles of Internet behavior that were signs of depressive people. For example, participants with depressive symptoms tended to engage in very high e-mail usage. This perhaps was to be expected: research by the psychologists Janet Morahan-Martin and Phyllis Schumacher has shown that frequent checking of e-mail may relate to high levels of anxiety, which itself correlates with depressive symptoms.

Another example: the Internet usage of depressive people tended to exhibit high “flow duration entropy” — which often occurs when there is frequent switching among Internet applications like e-mail, chat rooms and games. This may indicate difficulty concentrating. This finding, too, is consistent with the psychological literature: according to the National Institute of Mental Health, difficulty concentrating is also a sign of depressive symptoms among students.

OTHER characteristic features of “depressive” Internet behavior included increased amounts of video watching, gaming and chatting.
    I have noticed that there seems to be a relationship to how I use the Internet and my mood. What do you think?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

The only people I talk to besides the people in my house are people on the internet, so in a sense I use the internet a lot because I am socially depressed.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

thanks for the article. that's really interesting, and seems true to experience. i think when i'm feeling down i do tend to use the internet more and my usage is probably more "manic" somewhat. i'd imagine my internet usage, when i haven't set limits, also feeds back into bad moods and makes me feel worse eventually.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by teleforce View Post
    thanks for the article. that's really interesting, and seems true to experience. i think when i'm feeling down i do tend to use the internet more and my usage is probably more "manic" somewhat. i'd imagine my internet usage, when i haven't set limits, also feeds back into bad moods and makes me feel worse eventually.
    You're welcome. I just found it really interesting. I've noticed in myself that I can get really develop a persistent habit of reading and communicating online. Definitely manic like you describe.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

OTHER characteristic features of “depressive” Internet behavior included increased amounts of video watching, gaming and chatting.
    I must be depressed then.

Still interesting though.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Strange. The amount of time I spend playing video games usually corresponds to how well I feel. I no longer find interest in games when I'm feeling depressed hahaha. I may browse the internet more, though. I'm not sure.