User Tag List

123 Last

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Default How to rationalize mainstreams obsession with statistics?

These days, you can't turn your head or you'll hear it on the radio, see it on tv, or read about it in the newspaper.

Statistics.

And not just any statistics, nooooo, but statistics about subjects where you have to ask yourself, was it really neccesary to investigate this. Is there any practical use for this? Was this all you could think of when you were deciding on how you would spend your time?

But the truth is it seems to sell. Otherwise it would not be so publically advertised and common.

So what is it about statistics that peaks peoples interests?
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    These days, you can't turn your head or you'll hear it on the radio, see it on tv, or read about it in the newspaper.

Statistics.

And not just any statistics, nooooo, but statistics about subjects where you have to ask yourself, was it really neccesary to investigate this. Is there any practical use for this? Was this all you could think of when you were deciding on how you would spend your time?

But the truth is it seems to sell. Otherwise it would not be so publically advertised and common.

Numbers don't lie. They may not tell the entire story but they show empirical evidence and many times, that's all people are looking for. Do I think it's necessary to apply it to anything, at least to the point of - who cares about this anyway? Maybe, maybe not. Social media is always using stats to justify the time people waste with them. Sports of course but they also don't always give a full picture. Where statistics become fallible is in the interpretation. There isn't a black and white yes or no answer every time. Even something like determining the Cy Young Award winner. You take the number of losses, ERA, WHIP - not a lot to interpret there. The issue comes with team impact and something that puts one player above the rest. How do you measure that? I don't know but I don't think sports writers always have the best answer.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Mmh, as a Ti dom I think all I can do is swallow it and let it happen. Still from my point of view, it's pretty much downright manipulation though. Sure, you INTJ's will be able to contextualize it properly and see it for what it really is (I hope), but so many people that won't, and without a proper explanation, people are basicly being manipulated. Polluted by half-truths that in many cases take the whole concept out of proportions towards whatever political or hidden agenda the creators might have.

Sometimes I think I'm borderline conspiracy lunatic. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

People like to corroborate their worldviews with rubrics
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Stats are so easily manipulated it's like a pervert offering a child candy.
    Let me guess, those who think stats are the real deal also think the same of: FDA approved.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Maybe we need some stats on who buys it and who doesn't?

No really, when I hear statistics, especially via TV/Radio etc. I always questions them. I instantly think about who is funding the study, who they benefit, how data is collected and interpreted, etc. When someone throws out a statistic to support their side in a discussion, I will almost always inquire more about the study just to see if they are forming a judgement then finding "evidence" to support it or the other way around.

But ya, my point is that I don't typically buy it and most of the people I know don't either. Why assume that most people are not also like this?
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Sense of security, reality check-back (albeit poor), over trusting authority, too lazy to think for ones self?
    Many people don't have the time to pour over research...
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

statistics make people believe there is objective reality.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Statistics.

Yeah, I've noticed, I've also a strong feeling that the last couple of non-fiction books and the whole of the pop (libertarian) economics genre like freakonomics or the armchair economist could be reclassified as a statistic reads.

Usually its a regurgitation or recycling of academic papers and the research methodology, evidence gathering and statistics are all broadly similar too.

The last years worth of these kind of books and reading them and, for the most part, disagreeing with them has probably taught me more about research methodology and statistics as my time at university. A hell of a lot of the time it is the nonsense people remember or statistics of the "lies, damn lies and statistics" variety, such as the oft quoted perentage of the brain which people dont use or one in ten supposedly being homosexual (both inaccurate or out of context citations).

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    statistics make people believe there is objective reality.
    Well now, just because something can be asued, such as statistics, doesnt mean it cant be used appropriately.

The conclusion you draw is absurd aswell as mistaken.