User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Default Overcoming post traumatic stress disorder

Hey guys, so I was wondering if any of you have ever had PTSD, and if so how did you overcome it? I have now had PTSD for 6 years, and it is really destroying my life. It affects many things in my life in a negative way. One of the worst things that it does is that it greatly prevents me from keeping a decent job. I’m trying my damndest to get over it, and losing the battle. Most of my PTSD has to do with being in very violent scenarios. I used to get in arguments all the time when I was younger but I’ve become a very soft, weak, and unassertive person to the fact that I am so sensitive to confrontation. Seriously, when I do so much as even get an argument anymore it regresses me back to the past, and I erupt on people. One of the biggest problems with this is that one of major gifts in life are my people skills, so therefore I am pretty damn good at sales. The problem is that when I do sales I pretty much have to get drunk or high every day to do it, or I may erupt on people because of my PTSD. Any thoughts on overcoming this?

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Hey guys, so I was wondering if any of you have ever had PTSD, and if so how did you overcome it? I have now had PTSD for 6 years, and it is really destroying my life. It affects many things in my life in a negative way. One of the worst things that it does is that it greatly prevents me from keeping a decent job. I’m trying my damndest to get over it, and losing the battle. Most of my PTSD has to do with being in very violent scenarios. I used to get in arguments all the time when I was younger but I’ve become a very soft, weak, and unassertive person to the fact that I am so sensitive to confrontation. Seriously, when I do so much as even get an argument anymore it regresses me back to the past, and I erupt on people. One of the biggest problems with this is that one of major gifts in life are my people skills, so therefore I am pretty damn good at sales. The problem is that when I do sales I pretty much have to get drunk or high every day to do it, or I may erupt on people because of my PTSD. Any thoughts on overcoming this?
    Hmm, something this severe requires professional help. I suggest (see: strongly advise) that you seek a counselor who know how to handle cases such as yours.

I have gone through EMDR with my therapist and it has helped me hugely. However, I did not experience anything so bad as what you probably have.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Hmm, something this severe requires professional help. I suggest (see: strongly advise) that you seek a counselor who know how to handle cases such as yours.

I have gone through EMDR with my therapist and it has helped me hugely. However, I did not experience anything so bad as what you probably have.
    Mine is so bad that I could be on Dr. Phil. The problem is this....It keeps me from keeping a job very well, and you need to be able to keep a job in order to afford counseling. Also, I have tried to apply for SSI for this shit until I could get over it, but it takes like over a year to get it. You have to apply, then they reject you, then you fight it out with a lawyer. Then, if you get any job what-so-ever (even if it is part time) they slash your disability. It seems like an endless nightmare that I can't escape.

Anew Leaf

Mine is so bad that I could be on Dr. Phil. The problem is this....It keeps me from keeping a job very well, and you need to be able to keep a job in order to afford counseling. Also, I have tried to apply for SSI for this shit until I could get over it, but it takes like over a year to get it. You have to apply, then they reject you, then you fight it out with a lawyer. Then, if you get any job what-so-ever (even if it is part time) they slash your disability. It seems like an endless nightmare that I can't escape.
    Yikes!

Is yours related to military service at all?

Have you tried an online marketing/adsense business?
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Yikes!

Is yours related to military service at all?
    No, it has to do with living with a certain family member of mine that got into drugs, and put my life in serious jepordy on numberous occasions, and also with threats of gang violence. I mean, thank God it's all over now but at least in my head it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    Have you tried an online marketing/adsense business?
    I would do that, but I can't find a decent company that would pay me to do that, that isn't a joke.

No, it has to do with living with a certain family member of mine that got into drugs, and put my life in serious jepordy on numberous occasions, and also with threats of gang violence. I mean, thank God it's all over now but at least in my head it's not.

I would do that, but I can't find a decent company that would pay me to do that, that isn't a joke.
    It revolves around YOUR OWN business, not some company babysitting you... google is your friend, I'm sure you don't want others doing your work.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Have you tried your state's human services? Contact them and ask what services you are eligible for.
    http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/regions/c4/

Substance Abuse and Mental Health
    Program Office Information
    Tina St. Clair, LCSW
    Mental Health Program Supervisor
    5920 Arlington Expressway
    Jacksonville, Florida 32211
    (904) 723-2134
    Email: Christina_St_Clair@dcf.state.fl.us

Here is the link to the services website Adult Mental Health
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    It revolves around YOUR OWN business, not some company babysitting you... google is your friend, I'm sure you don't want others doing your work.
    I've googled the hell out of this, and came up with nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Have you tried your state's human services? Contact them and ask what services you are eligible for.
    http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/regions/c4/

Here is the link to the services website Adult Mental Health
    Ok thanks. I will check this out.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

First of all,

I think I know what you are talking about. I have it too. Don't waste your time doing a bunch of internet searches trying to fix yourself. You can't fix this by yourself. You need (at heast one) professional with experience.
    I know what it's like to have your 'fight' instinct tripped by someone, and I know how this can put the blinders on you. Don't let going into a rage cause you to go to jail or worse.