• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Accept your flaws

Circle

MBTI Type
INFJ
I try to accept myself as a person who aims self-improvement, but one who may make mistakes in the way. I accept my mistakes as a way to learning how to be better. I couldn't learn without experimenting, and mistakes are part of experimenting. And I accept that, trying not to blame myself and trying not to feel bad for missing sometimes. I don't see it as contradictory. :]

I agree with you. Acceptance is a necessary part of moving forward. Until you accept yourself and what you've done and what's been done to you, you may have trouble forgiving, or letting go of it, which is really what forgiveness is about in the first place. Letting go.

Love and acceptance can be useful in self-improvement, which I parse as "being happy" and learning how to live this life.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't know if it would be even possible to know the ultimate truth... or even if you did, how would you know you know it?
Did I just claim there was an ultimate truth? :angry:

I don't know about need. I am thinking about intellectual honesty. "a virtuous disposition to eschew deception when given an incentive for deception."
Self deception, in this instance. In many ways, the most tempting thing.
Perhaps to me this is a need. Not much makes me more sick than to find I've been laboring under self deception.

I have only tried dream analyzing in a very superficial way, but it is intriguing. Are there any resources you'd recommend?

i didnt say that you claim there is some ultimate truth, just said that its not necessary to know it in order to improve. cuz "And don't think you know the ultimate truth either."

Psychroma

MBTI Type
INTP
How do you balance "self-improvement" vs. "accepting who you are"? Is there a point past which either of these is counterproductive/destructive, and you just should do each one to a moderate but not extreme degree?

How do the two not contradict each other?

"Self-improvement" and "accepting who you are" don't necessarily contradict each other; in my opinion, they can coincide quite nicely. I suppose it can go the other way though, and as everything, it's grounded in perception.

For example, someone has the innate or genuine will to overcome what they perceive as a "flaw." This sense of dissatisfaction and desire for improvement manifest themselves through traits, or, who someone "is." Of course, one would have to define who they are for this apply. I would think a need for improvement partially constitutes a person's self-perception, but I'm sure that's debatable.

As others have mentioned before, it can also be used as an excuse to continue negative behaviors, which can also be interpreted as being complacent/lazy. These are traits too, and for consistency with my previous suppositions, who someone "is." In the end, a desire for self-improvement is a part a person's identity.

Personally, how I balance these is that, if I want to improve myself, then I will. If I feel no need to, then I won't. I haven't concretely defined flaw anyhow, and there a number of traits I have society perceives as defects, but I'm proud of. The first trait that comes to mind is shyness that borders social anxiety. Perhaps this "flaw" has ingrained in my life for so long to the point that I see it as an inseparable part of who I am, and so ridding it would be akin to destroying a part of me.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Accept your flaws - NEVER!

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah you should. You can take advice from some professionals. There are plenty of ebooks for you out there. You just need to know what's the right for you. If you dont check out this website I hope it will help you: http://low-selfesteem.com/

Good luck

You picked this as a first post?:yim_rolling_on_the_

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
The first trait that comes to mind is shyness that borders social anxiety. Perhaps this "flaw" has ingrained in my life for so long to the point that I see it as an inseparable part of who I am, and so ridding it would be akin to destroying a part of me.

I can relate to this... Sometimes I can't imagine myself not being a dorky, obsessive-compulsive neurotic without being someone else. Which just feeds into my low self-worth. Bleh. :/

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How can I accept it when there are no flaws?
Well yes, part of the question is deciding whether something's "flawed" in the first place. Another struggling self-debate... :unsure: Others are saying that limit is something like "When it starts to hinder other parts of life."