User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Default Why is strength admirable?

Not physical strength, strength in any field or skill.

I could understand an instinctual drive to appreciate strength, but besides that? Anything?
    Last edited by Cimarron; 06-01-2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: not physical
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

If we define strength as an inherent capacity to manifest power, to endure and to resist then it links up with survival, which leads to the preference of existance and non-existance. But you already have that covered. uhm... I'll have to think about this one a bit more.. but I'm leaning to the idea that one can have enough strength to simply survive and still seek more. It's this seeking more that will nail it. Why progress or advance, why desire more, better, higher quality of life in general.. the answer to these will be interwoven with non-survival related strength and probably comes back to ego-identification. Ya.. maybe not, lol.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

It's a challenge. Gets the blood pumping. Makes your sex drive kick up. Also life valuing behavior
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    I could understand an instinctual drive to appreciate strength, but besides that? Anything?
    strength accomplishes tasks, accomplishing tasks brings results, results bring physical comfort, beauty, safety or some other benefit.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

RDF

Everyone is fighting some kind of demon.

If you fight demons in the outer world, you are applying yourself 100% to an external goal, and you gain from a win. The loser yields something, and the win strengthens you.

If you fight demons in the inner world, OTOH, you split yourself in half, and a win in one area is simultaneously a loss in another. With yourself as the enemy, it’s difficult to gain from a win; a win weakens you as much as it strengthens you.

I’m not saying that people shouldn’t fight their inner demons; after all, you have to start somewhere. But a strong person is perceived as someone who has already conquered his inner demons and has gone on to fight in the outside world where the prizes are bigger and more tangible; whereas the weak person is perceived as somone who is probably still stuck at the earlier stage of trying to master himself before he can take on the world.

Hence the stronger person is seen as more admirable, more in control of himself and his environment, more "mature" in a number of ways.

Just brainstorming here; don’t take it too seriously.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Confidence and reliability are very attractive traits. Both of those usually flow from people who have skill or strength.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

We all have to go out and face our metaphorical giants in the real world someday, even if we don't want to.
    Save Thundercats 2011 petition. Because we do what we can. HO!!!:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/warn...another-season

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Confidence and reliability are very attractive traits. Both of those usually flow from people who have skill or strength.
    Why is confidence an admirable trait? Reliability has a quality of "tangible evidence" about it, but confidence itself doesn't prove skill or strength.

@Turtledove
    We all have to go out and face our metaphorical giants in the real world someday, even if we don't want to.
    And strength shows the capacity to do that? That would make some sense, I guess... Or did you mean something else?
    Last edited by Cimarron; 06-02-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Turtledove
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

@Cimarron Well, it can go two ways. But really I was talking to myself. It's complicated.
    Save Thundercats 2011 petition. Because we do what we can. HO!!!:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/warn...another-season

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/ke...onfidence.html

Confidence is hope in action. It's the feeling of existential security, that everything is going to be beautiful. If you feel that success is due to luck or chance you will not take the same actions as if you feel you are in control of the creation of your own reality. That feeling is confidence.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.