User Tag List

123 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Default Introverts treat human faces like inanimate objects...

I really don't like this article.

http://www.livescience.com/8500-brai...al-prefer.html

Yeah, we hate people. They're just things to us. We can take them or leave them. Sigh.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I really hate this "introverts are people who don't like people" thing. It's just crappy.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

garbage

I feel you, yeah.

'Offensive' studies aren't necessarily wrong. But if the results of studies don't jive with our intuition and experience, though--especially in matters as "soft" as psychology--they ought to be examined for internal consistency ("it makes sense") and external validation ("yes, it's flippin' true").

Part of the problem is that scientific studies use language such as "x this suggests that y" and the media touts it as "Holy shit, x is y!! Forever!! Protect your kids!! Kill everyone of a different ethnicity!" Since our scope gets blown up, we've been told at least a few times that we can't predict some of the things that we've purported to predict, that we're part of a government conspiracy, etc.

LiveScience is mostly on track here, but some of the other articles are embarrassing as hell in their interpretation of this work. Then again, Fishman is the one making pretty bold claims in that interview--look at that paragraph about what the study "supports."

And here's Fishman et al. At first glance, it seems that it's mostly misinterpreted--the study is mostly claiming that introverts aren't as stimulated by human faces, not that they can't tell the difference between a damn face and a flower.
    Last edited by garbage; 05-27-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: i keep editing this damn post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I didn't catch it saying that introverts don't like people, just that they are more indifferent when it comes to people, which I think is true in some sense. I could have missed something though.

I dislike generalizations in general though.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I believe the same thing is true of children who are reared not facing their mother in the stroller.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

RDF

The article sounds about right to me. I can meet someone new and talk to them for 10 minutes, and then when I turn away I can't remember their face, their name, or what they were wearing. But I remember everything we talked about. So I always just figured that I'm more about ideas rather than appearances.

In order to try to pay more attention to people, these days I deliberately make a point of examining someone when I talk to them and inventorying their looks, their clothing, saying their name a couple times, etc. Otherwise it's awkward when they come up to me a couple days later and I don't even recognize them.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

This is interesting. I do tend to pay alot more attention to people than inanimate objects, but I kinda attributed this to being a feeler. I also merge with an object quite a bit (especially humans) but I do not recall the sensory experience of it either, after I leave It is very difficult for me to conjur up a perfect image of it.. and even while I merge and take information in, it is not (pure) sensory info... it's more conceptual connections. I honestly think this has far more to do with sensing/intuition and thinking/feeling. MHO.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I really don't like this article.

http://www.livescience.com/8500-brai...al-prefer.html

Yeah, we hate people. They're just things to us. We can take them or leave them. Sigh.

The site is defining "introvert" as "shy person."

I'm an introvert who notices every subtle nuance of expression on someone's face.

They're not talking about MBTI introversion.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I'm an introvert who notices every subtle nuance of expression on someone's face.
    I do this too, it's kind of my thing.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

wow peeps here b takin bout seein faces, well i purposefully dont wear glasses in public just so i dont see peoples faces in hd lol