• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverts treat human faces like inanimate objects...

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why? Do you have a problem with me saying that your face reminds me of a flower?

I don't think overall this was what you were trying to say. It just seems like the creation of this thread offended you because it doesn't jive with the Jung concept of introversion. Am I wrong?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
great now i read this like introverts eat other people faces!! make that other thread go away!!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the introverted sx types most likely :laugh:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hilarious.

I read the opening line at the top of the first page -- "EXTRAVERTS MORE ATTUNED TO SOCIAL STIMULI" -- and thought, "Well, DUH." That's what an extravert is.

Nothing new here, let's move along.

PS. People suck, I hate them. (especially their ugly faces)

Hey, I'm supposed to treat YOU like an object, not vice versa.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think overall this was what you were trying to say. It just seems like the creation of this thread offended you because it doesn't jive with the Jung concept of introversion. Am I wrong?

You are correct to use the past tense. I was offended because the article was being criticized unjustly, on grounds that aren't mentioned in the article. What exactly is an "introvert"? Let's turn this back a few pages. Oh, it's not an MBTI introvert they're talking about, but something more like a "shy person." But an MBTI or Jungian introvert focuses on valuing internal things. But if one of those introverts disvalues the external realm, including faces, then this was actually predicted by Jung. So everybody who criticized the article was criticizing Jung as well.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
.... So everybody who criticized the article was criticizing Jung as well.

I hate Jung. It's ruined our lives. It should never have its books read again.
(It should put the lotion in the basket or it shall get the hose again.)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jung ain't Jesus.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So what are you if you treat inanimate objects like human faces?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate Jung. It's ruined our lives. It should never have its books read again.
(It should put the lotion in the basket or it shall get the hose again.)

Carl Jung was part of the irrationalist/altruist/collectivist movement of the early 20th century.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So what are you if you treat inanimate objects like human faces?

I knew a 60 year old woman who thought some of her flowers looked like penises. This sexually excited her. SiFe.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But an MBTI or Jungian introvert focuses on valuing internal things. But if one of those introverts disvalues the external realm, including faces, then this was actually predicted by Jung. So everybody who criticized the article was criticizing Jung as well.

Valuing internal things does not mean that you cannot value external things. I objected to the idea that introverts universally can "take or leave" people. Also, if one introvert (as you have just said) devalues external things, it does not mean that all introverts devalue external things.

I find many things interesting besides people, but I also find human relationships essential.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Valuing internal things does not mean that you cannot value external things. I objected to the idea that introverts universally can "take or leave" people. Also, if one introvert (as you have just said) devalues external things, it does not mean that all introverts devalue external things.

I find many things interesting besides people, but I also find human relationships essential.

Then you can re-word my answer in whatever way pleases you.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What I take from this study is extraverts are face sluts. They'll get it on with any face that crosses their eye.

Typical.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
great now i read this like introverts eat other people faces!! make that other thread go away!!

I read it as while extroverts are 100% likely to eat faces, introverts are just as likely to eat flowers as faces. :D

I think this should be a new forum meme. And now that this is starting to spin out of control, there's this to consider. (thanks [MENTION=15413]Space Socks[/MENTION]!)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes I wish these studies would break results into the different kinds of introverts (ie. Fi, Ti, Si & Ni). I know they're not coming from an MBTI perspective, but I think the results would vary between the types. I'd be REALLY surprised if Fi-dom treat faces like inanimate objects... I see this as more likely with Ti & Ni doms.

The article is not talking about MBTI introverts. If only you would simply click the link where it says "introvert." http://www.livescience.com/6291-study-sheds-light-people-shy.html

Wow look at that, even the link to the other page has the word "shy" in it.

It pisses me off to have to explain this after mentioning it above once already.

"Socially shy" is not an acceptable definition of "introvert" IN MBTI TERMS. You know this to be true. And yet you continue to berate the author of that page on the basis of your OWN idea of what an introvert is.

And in fact, your (or our) idea of what an introvert is really isn't generally accepted by psychologists.

I'm very shy AND introverted and I still don't have that issue... I can't see how a mild social anxiety (which shyness basically is) leads to treating human faces like inanimate objects. Many shy people will report being over-sensitive to cues like that, becoming easily embarrassed, and this causes them to be inhibited. Introversion seems more likely to be the culprit than shyness....

I DO have the issue of not being able to place someone I know when I see them in another setting (ie. running into them at the store when I'm used to seeing them at church), especially when it's a matter of wearing very different clothing. I always know I know them though; I just can't always place their face and know where I know them from.

And not remembering names is hugely common; many people will tell you they struggle to remember names of acquaintances.

in·tro·vert/ˈintrəˌvərt/
Noun:
A shy, reticent, and typically self-centered person.
A person predominantly concerned with their own thoughts and feelings rather than with external things.

"An extroverted person is likely to enjoy time spent with people and find less reward in time spent alone. They tend to be energized when around other people..." (Wiki).

It's Jung who is off-the-wall in obscurely defining these two terms according to cognitive attitude or focus of attention regarding functions. That's not to say he is wrong, but that we are comparing two different systems here that happen to use the same words.

The bolded is pretty much in-line with Jung's ideas, IMO, just put more crudely, and it's pretty much how MBTI words it also. The "energized" around other people is a way of saying they're focused on the object more than their inner world. I don't think I need to explain the introverted definition above & how it connects to Jung's ideas...

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I keep thinking about the scene from In Bruges where Ralph Fiennes is all "You're an inanimate object!!!" :D

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I initially read the thread title as "Introverts treat human feces like inantimate objects." Am I the only one who misread this?

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What I take from this study is extraverts are face sluts. They'll get it on with any face that crosses their eye.

Typical.

We introverts need to start wearing masks now? :(

I feel suffocated by the prying eyes of extroverts looking at my face.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I prefer flowers to people. :shock:

I know what you mean....sometimes I forget im talking to a person and I try to smell them midway through the conversation.

Then I try to encourage bees to land on them and begin pollination by smearing them with honey

Usually by this point I find a heavy hand on my shoulder and a whispering voice in my ear: "Come with us...it will all be ok, just put this jacket on.."