• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverts treat human faces like inanimate objects...

Logical Artist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Even though it was the researchers words that are being debated here, the research itself is good.

I went back and read the original article:
This study just says that people's faces are more rewarding than flowers to extraverts, and that people's faces are equally rewarding as flowers to introverts.
It does NOT say that people are more meaningful or rewarding to extraverts than to introverts.

However, the quote in the livescience article is an example of why you can't take quotes from authority figures as valid research. He was voicing his own intuitions, probably as an extravert himself.

"[This] supports the claim that introverts, or their brains, might be indifferent to people — they can take them or leave them, so to speak. The introvert's brain treats interactions with people the same way it treats encounters with other, non-human information, such as inanimate objects for example," Fishman told LiveScience.

The results strongly suggest that human faces, or people in general, hold more significance than inanimate objectsfor extroverts, or are more meaningful for them, Fishman said.

Ignore the bolder parts, and I added the italicized parts to make it follow his findings more closely.

Altogether it reads, "[This] supports the claim that the introvert's brain treats interactions with people the same way it treats encounters with other, non-human information, such as inanimate objects for example. The results strongly suggest that human faces, or people in general, hold more significance than inanimate objects for extroverts"

Basically I'm just saying that it only compares different stimuli within introverts, and different stimuli within extraverts, NOT introverts to extraverts.

teleforce

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
lol'd at the title. i didn't find anything negative about the article and personally found it pretty hilarious. maybe there's some truth to it.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I lol'd at the title too, but that's 'cause I read it as "faeces."

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
So today I was talking to this friend of mine for hours......but for some reason he started to look really tasty and then I nearly called the police because I thought id eaten him in shock.

Turns out he was a ham roll. Ive got to get this sorted.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I knew a 60 year old woman who thought some of her flowers looked like penises. This sexually excited her. SiFe.

I was browsing youtube.... somehow got to this and felt it was related to the subject.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It doesn't bother me in the slightest. I like to be alone because I want people to STFU and go away, Im not shy, I just get drained by people, especially certain people, Im just like UGH.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Even though it was the researchers words that are being debated here, the research itself is good.

I went back and read the original article:
This study just says that people's faces are more rewarding than flowers to extraverts, and that people's faces are equally rewarding as flowers to introverts.
It does NOT say that people are more meaningful or rewarding to extraverts than to introverts.

However, the quote in the livescience article is an example of why you can't take quotes from authority figures as valid research. He was voicing his own intuitions, probably as an extravert himself.

"[This] supports the claim that introverts, or their brains, might be indifferent to people — they can take them or leave them, so to speak. The introvert's brain treats interactions with people the same way it treats encounters with other, non-human information, such as inanimate objects for example," Fishman told LiveScience.

The results strongly suggest that human faces, or people in general, hold more significance than inanimate objectsfor extroverts, or are more meaningful for them, Fishman said.

Ignore the bolder parts, and I added the italicized parts to make it follow his findings more closely.

Altogether it reads, "[This] supports the claim that the introvert's brain treats interactions with people the same way it treats encounters with other, non-human information, such as inanimate objects for example. The results strongly suggest that human faces, or people in general, hold more significance than inanimate objects for extroverts"

Basically I'm just saying that it only compares different stimuli within introverts, and different stimuli within extraverts, NOT introverts to extraverts.

it probably didn't help if the sample research was full of IxTx, or if you showed the IxFx a bunch of random strangers.

In all truth I bet introverts find their family or mates or friends faces more interesting than flowers.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Valuing internal things does not mean that you cannot value external things. I objected to the idea that introverts universally can "take or leave" people. Also, if one introvert (as you have just said) devalues external things, it does not mean that all introverts devalue external things.

I find many things interesting besides people, but I also find human relationships essential.

well if the pictures were of strangers, the introvert very well may be able to take them or leave them...however this may actually be determined by interaction style rather than I/E ... For example ISFPs and ENFPs actually have a similar but distinct interaction style which suggests that neither hates people, but can essentially take or leave new people or strangers

that whole Sang-phleg or phleg-sang business.

Because ENFPs can look like introverts and I highly suspect this is the reason why (or part of the reason)

Logical Artist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
it probably didn't help if the sample research was full of IxTx, or if you showed the IxFx a bunch of random strangers.

In all truth I bet introverts find their family or mates or friends faces more interesting than flowers.

True, they only measured I/E using the NEO Personality Inventory, which incidentally is really measuring introversion as defined in the Big 5 personality traits. They didn't even bother to measure the rest of the Big 5, which would at least correlate to mbti.