User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    IsFJ

What, so now all introverts suffer from prosopagnosia?

(The mention of the Big 5 and the "extroversion = greater happiness" thing also raise my heckles, but I have no counter-argument...)
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    What, so now all introverts suffer from prosopagnosia?

(The mention of the Big 5 and the "extroversion = greater happiness" thing also raise my heckles, but I have no counter-argument...)
    I've suffered from prosopagnosia all my life. In public places, people I know pass me by and all I see is a stranger. They feel snubbed by me, and that sucks because I'm not intending to do anything at all.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    The article sounds about right to me. I can meet someone new and talk to them for 10 minutes, and then when I turn away I can't remember their face, their name, or what they were wearing. But I remember everything we talked about. So I always just figured that I'm more about ideas rather than appearances.

In order to try to pay more attention to people, these days I deliberately make a point of examining someone when I talk to them and inventorying their looks, their clothing, saying their name a couple times, etc. Otherwise it's awkward when they come up to me a couple days later and I don't even recognize them.
    To be honest, I can relate to being bad with faces and names. I can meet someone once or twice and have a hard time remembering them when we meet again (though when reminded I will probably remember a lot about the convo or tone of voice). But it just seemed like the article suggested we don't like people or can "take or leave" human relationships. If you saw me with a good friend you wouldn't say that...

/offended INFJ
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    I didn't catch it saying that introverts don't like people, just that they are more indifferent when it comes to people, which I think is true in some sense. I could have missed something though.

I dislike generalizations in general though.
    Yeah, I don't think it was necessarily offensive. The way that I took the article was that we are just indifferent to people and that extroverts NEED people (emphasis on the bold.)

@SilkRoad So, the article can really be spun in a number of ways.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Yeah, I don't think it was necessarily offensive. The way that I took the article was that we are just indifferent to people and that extroverts NEED people (emphasis on the bold.)

@SilkRoad So, the article can really be spun in a number of ways.
    I guess it varies, though. I'm definitely an introvert. And I definitely need people. No, I don't need them around all the time, that would even be bad for me. But I would definitely describe myself as someone who "needs people".

Maybe I felt "offended" partly because it seemed like a real blanket statement about introverts.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    To be honest, I can relate to being bad with faces and names. I can meet someone once or twice and have a hard time remembering them when we meet again (though when reminded I will probably remember a lot about the convo or tone of voice). But it just seemed like the article suggested we don't like people or can "take or leave" human relationships. If you saw me with a good friend you wouldn't say that...

/offended INFJ
    Yeah, maybe the author(s) of the article should have noted that there are many more ways to relate to people than just visually, and that introverts may develop strong connections with others based on other senses or other modes of interaction.

I just read the article in the narrowest sense: Introverts apparently aren't visually oriented: They don’t pay much attention to appearances. And that’s certainly true of me.

/apologetic INFP

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I guess it varies, though. I'm definitely an introvert. And I definitely need people. No, I don't need them around all the time, that would even be bad for me. But I would definitely describe myself as someone who "needs people".

Maybe I felt "offended" partly because it seemed like a real blanket statement about introverts.
    Yes, most people will need some human contact. Though, I don't know, I just took it as I am adaptable.

I can spend a whole day with little contact with others and get by fairly well. Though, just because I can handle myself really well, it doesn't mean I don't have a need for people.... it is just that I can spend time alone and come out just fine.

Others I know of (who is a lot more extroverted,) on the other hand, would complain about being bored to no end.

THOUGH, the part they talk about comparing inanimate objects to faces can strike a cord.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Yes, most people will need some human contact. Though, I don't know, I just took it as I am adaptable.

I can spend a whole day with little contact with others and get by fairly well. Though, just because I can handle myself really well, it doesn't mean I don't have a need for people.... it is just that I can spend time alone and come out just fine.

Others I know of (who is a lot more extroverted,) on the other hand, would complain about being bored to no end.

THOUGH, the part they talk about comparing inanimate objects to faces can strike a cord.
    Yeah, I hear you, I do relate to a lot of that. I can certainly spend a day or two happily, sometimes more, with little or no human contact. I guess for me what is essential is knowing I have close supportive human relationships in my life. I also tend to have IxxJ friends and we can quite happily not see each other for quite a long time. But I may think of them every day or almost.

It's a different approach to extroverts. I mean, there are obviously extroverts who have close significant relationships of different sorts. There are also extroverts who don't really "like people" in that they have contempt for many people and just use them...etc. And there are introverts who love people and introverts who seem to cultivate a dislike for the human race.

I guess it's obvious though that my hackles rise over a sort of "introverts are stunted and aren't normal people who like other people" sort of suggestion.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

"This supports the claim that introverts, or their brains, might be indifferent to people — they can take them or leave them, so to speak. The introvert's brain treats interactions with people the same way it treats encounters with other, non-human information, such as inanimate objects for example,"
    Almost tarnished the validity of the entire article reading that segment, but I guess that's me being biased.
    I cannot relate to it at all, I usually always remember faces, and remember details about people which they themselves have forgotten.
    Definitely suck at remembering what people wear though unless it's something distinct like an accessory.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

The article is not talking about MBTI introverts. If only you would simply click the link where it says "introvert." http://www.livescience.com/6291-stud...eople-shy.html

Wow look at that, even the link to the other page has the word "shy" in it.

It pisses me off to have to explain this after mentioning it above once already.

"Socially shy" is not an acceptable definition of "introvert" IN MBTI TERMS. You know this to be true. And yet you continue to berate the author of that page on the basis of your OWN idea of what an introvert is.

And in fact, your (or our) idea of what an introvert is really isn't generally accepted by psychologists.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”