User Tag List

First 123 Last

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    It only refreshes the clock to show how much time you have left; it doesn't reset the timer aspect of it.
    Ah ok, I didn't really pay attention to it, it was just something I noted in passing.

Thanks for the clarification. I do agree with you about the time constraints actually, sometimes I thought I was just working out the system, then realised I had no time left!! So I rushed one or two.

Quote Originally Posted by durentu View Post
    What you have doesn't matter.

What you do with what you have, matters.

savvy ?
    Agreed with that. But while I could have summed it up that way and in fact I did in one sentence, I really wanted a bit more of a....discussion.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

http://scienceblogs.com/cognitivedai...od-for-you-as/

Personally, I think high iq has a lot of potential drawbacks.

If your iq is two deviations above the mean of your interlocutor you will tend to argue. I think this is particularly difficult with gifted children that have close attachment to low iq parents.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    I don't think ones capacity for intelligence is all that special in the same way that I don't think being born ridiculously rich or beautiful or talented is all that special. It was a given, a freebe.. and in the scheme of things its your actualization not your potential. If there was some way to quantify this.. I would look at the capacity/actualization ratio to decide who I hold in higher regard.

I think so. I honestly can't imagine why someone would fall into a terrible depression over it. Okay okay.. there probably are people who put alot of weight on what the IQ tests say, have somehow been conditioned to value this above all else, but oh what a limited perception and existance (imo). I can't imagine myself being too upset by it (I took both those tests earlier and scored slightly above average.. not as high as I thought I would, lol..) because those tests don't hold any real signifigance to me. Pattern recognition.. WOO HA.. until that test can show me exactly how getting a 114 on it is going to directly impact my quality of living, to hell with it.
    Thanks for the reply, id say this is a nice answer which shows your maturity towards such subjects.
    Unfortunately I think a lot of people do indeed define themselves by such criteria, not necessarily IQ tests but intelligence in general.

Too many see it as a competition rather than a tool for usage. Of course anti-intellectualism is the direct result of these feelings of inadequacy as most people probably suspect.
    Id say there are three ways in which intelligence is most beneficial and how it should, (yes should is a strong word and implies a lot of pressure but my true attitude is far removed from that), be used:

1) To help better yourself.

2) To help better the lives of those around you

and of course

3) Both of the above.

I think the worst conflicts in regards to intelligence come about because people mistake 1) for an attitude of superiority, this is further confounded by the reality that some people DO indeed adhere to intelligence as a factor of superiority.

Ironically it is sometimes true that people who are not that intelligent often see intelligence as this competition in the first place.

Also while I said better yourself or others, the point is not to bring about some world changing event or system to bring us closer to a utopia or something, it is more that people simply live their lives in a positive manner. In a way which others can learn from, bit by bit we drip water onto a stone and reshape it over and over.

From the smallest interactions entire populations can be moved, it's all part of the infrastructure of humanity.

Of course it is easy to say this from the comfort of an armchair in front of a pc.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Agreed with that. But while I could have summed it up that way and in fact I did in one sentence, I really wanted a bit more of a....discussion.

well... can't really have a good discussion when people are in agreement. Where's the doubt or conflict?
    "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds; it is something one creates." - Thomas Szasz

well... can't really have a good discussion when people are in agreement. Where's the doubt or conflict?
    Lets create some!! Although I cant see why the throwing around of opinions and ideas cannot be part of a discussion. If people are not in agreement it usually turns into a debate very quickly, not that I dislike debate.

How about: Do you think a lot of people who possess a high intelligence deserve it? Is it even possible to claim that someone is 'deserving' or 'undeserving' of intelligence?

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Do you think a lot of people who possess a high intelligence deserve it? Is it even possible to claim that someone is 'deserving' or 'undeserving' of intelligence?
    As far as intelligence is by nature (born with gifts), no attribution is possible because it's nature and is indifferent to human characterizations.

The question of deserving of intelligence comes from what that person has earned to hone their intelligence.

Again coming back to "it's not what you have, but what you do with what you have"
    "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds; it is something one creates." - Thomas Szasz

As far as intelligence is by nature (born with gifts), no attribution is possible because it's nature and is indifferent to human characterizations.

The question of deserving of intelligence comes from what that person has earned to hone their intelligence.

Again coming back to "it's not what you have, but what you do with what you have"
    Agreed!

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I got 106 on the first test and 130 on the second. Is such a spread between scores normal?

Honestly, I thought the first test was the hardest online IQ test I've ever taken and I've taken many of them. It was also one of my worst scores. 130 is a more typical score for me.

The first test I hoped that if I missed several hard ones in a row it would give me some easier ones. Well I think it did because the last several questions seemed a little easier but even the easiest questions were not *that* easy. It was still somewhat challenging to respond in 45 seconds and feel confident in that response.

The second test was more reasonable in difficulty and more what I've typically seen in IQ tests. The first few are extremely easy and the difficulty gradually increases throughout the test with the last several questions being fiendishly difficult.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

The measure of IQ puts us somewhere on the Bell Curve.

This means that almost all of us are in the middle, and a very few are at one end or the other. In other words very few of us have a high comparative IQ and very few of us have a comparative low IQ.

However those with a high or low IQ are different. And being different we are socially excluded.

Also those with a high or low IQ are different emotionally. Those with a high IQ are over excitable (OE), and those with a low IQ have an accurate emotional response.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The measure of IQ puts us somewhere on the Bell Curve.

This means that almost all of us are in the middle, and a very few are at one end or the other. In other words very few of us have a high comparative IQ and very few of us have a comparative low IQ.

However those with a high or low IQ are different. And being different we are socially excluded.

Also those with a high or low IQ are different emotionally. Those with a high IQ are over excitable (OE), and those with a low IQ have an accurate emotional response.
    Interesting points, although the thread is really about attitudes towards intelligence within ones self and others. However I have heard of the bell curve before, in fact one of those tests mentions it, the second I believe.

The difference in emotionality is actually very interesting to me, how did they find that out?

- A.A. Milne.