MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Default Plastic Surgery is Ridiculous and Shallow

HaHa, just kidding!... maybe....

I used to think plastic surgery was ridiculously shallow in people that had no real need for it (like being attacked by pitbulls or getting into auto accidents, etc).

I live in an area where everyone seems to be getting something done, rhinoplasty, boob job, botox, etc. And for a looong time I felt that plastic surgery was treating a symptom to a much bigger problem, be that insecurity, need for validation, inability to love and accept ones self. But as I've gotten older, I've become much more open to the idea of it. I still don't think I'd personally have it done.. but I started to think that someone should be able to do what they want, and if it makes them happy then why the hell does anyone else care, right?

Someone once pointed out to me that most women alter their natural state to some degree, be that makeup or hair dye, wearing pointy high heels, clamping your eye lashes down with a curler, fake n' baking. Whats the difference? Well, actually theres a BIG difference. Plastic surgery is SURGERY, meaning there is a chance of DEATH! Infection, blood clot, etc. Plus it can cost a good chunk of change, and recovery is painful. To go through all of that to be more visually appealing? Doesn't it reak of an overwhelming need for validation? Yet I hear many women say "I got this boob job for myself." Really? For yourself? You wanted to vomit each time you looked in the mirror at those mesquito bites? Wouldn't this still be some form of psychological unhealth?
    I don't know.... I just don't know if I buy it. It doesn't help that after most of my friends have had implants, these same friends that claim its "all for themselves" start wearing tighter, lowcut shirts.

On the other hand, I've seen people go on talkshows and give horrific stories of being teased, ridiculed, osteracized, for not being good looking. Some women (or men) were treated so poorly that it drove them into a severe depression, some even becoming suicidal. Every time I'd watch these stories I get really choked up.
    A friend once told me that I shouldn't think the way I did about it.. because I had never gone through what some people have gone through. And she was right, I've been teased for a lot of shit growing up, but appearance usually wasn't one of them.

But then again, wouldn't these issues be better resolved by building confidance, going through counseling, etc? Wouldn't you love yourself more by feeling adequate as you ARE vs. being altered? Always in the back of your mind you'd know that you couldn't cut it in your natural state, weren't good enough. How can that possibly help ones self esteem?

Hmmmm. What do you think of plastic surgery?
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I don't think it's a black & white issue where everyone who gets it & every kind of it is shallow & ridiculous. I admit I see it as an ultimate form of vanity, for the reasons you mention: it's a risk of your health & even life for the sheer purpose of achieving what you think will be a more beautiful appearance.

I understand the value of beauty; I don't claim it has no significance or no impact on one's life, but I don't think it's significant enough to warrant surgery in most cases. It seems most people are able to make themselves more attractive via the other less invasive methods (ie. grooming), and this will serve whatever social advantage they're seeking. Any other apparent advantage seems not worth such a risk to me.

Major exceptions I see are re-constructive surgeries & ones which correct deformities, because I think it's less a vanity issue. Obviously there is a gray area between the two, which is why I don't jump to conclusions regarding people who opt for cosmetic surgery.

There's also something sad about the way it "streamlines" people.... the idea that one size/shape/proportion is inherently better. I don't think beauty is so narrow, and I'm not sure beauty is more valuable than individuality anyway. People who say they got some surgery for themselves may not be lying, to themselves or anyone, but they while their actions may not have been for anyone else, their perceptions are certainly influenced by others. The idea that X feature is flawed & would look better another way is not some view they formed entirely on their own; it's very much influenced by the cultural ideals around them. Ultimately, it very much boils down to status.

Then there's the issue of people using it to solve emotional problems. They think if they just fix X feature that they'll be happy and confident. It's like they invent a physical problem to avoid addressing other feelings that are much more difficult to solve. Surgery is a quick, surface fix, in that case, and no wonder it becomes addictive for some, as the quick fix wears off after a bit & their old feelings resurface.

Personally, it's also not for me because ultimately, it's changing who I am, and that bothers me. Whatever flaws I have, they're mine. I don't know if I'd want to look in a mirror and see something else, something structurally unnatural (as opposed to shallow, impermanent changes, like hair color). It would freak me out.
    Last edited by OrangeAppled; 03-27-2011 at 03:13 PM.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Socionics
    xNTj

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    But then again, wouldn't these issues be better resolved by building confidance, going through counseling, etc? Wouldn't you love yourself more by feeling adequate as you ARE vs. being altered? Always in the back of your mind you'd know that you couldn't cut it in your natural state, weren't good enough. How can that possibly help ones self esteem?
    Is there really a difference from confidence built through counseling and confidence built through plastic surgery?

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I don't know if I'd want to look in a mirror and see something else, something structurally unnatural (as opposed to shallow, impermanent changes, like hair color). It would freak me out.
    I felt something similar, except it was the first time I ever looked at a mirror.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by ultimawepun View Post
    Is there really a difference from confidence built through counseling and confidence built through plastic surgery?
    I think there is. I agree with what OrangeAppled said, that "surgery is a quick, surface fix". Counseling goes deeper and it tries to resolve the root problem. If you leave the problems unresolved and look for the quick fix plastic surgery can provide, the problems still remain on some level. Soon enough you'll need another "fix".

There is nothing wrong with plastic surgery, but it better be done for the right reasons and people should be realistic about the reasons and the outcome. Counseling and plastic surgery should go hand in hand if people want to make really drastic changes to their body. If there really is a need to make changes to ones appearance with such measures after counseling, it is possible that the person going through the surgery is now aware of the reality of things and their motivation and choices are more realistic than they would have been without counseling.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm considering having a breast reduction done. I don't feel that has anything to do with me being insecure, unable to love or having a need for validation. I just want these monster boobs and their weight off my body. It's not a drastic reduction, about two cup sizes. Losing weight has no effect on them and my doctor concurs. He also suggested some counseling just to explore if there were other reasons. I was very straightforward. Big boobs, no cute bras or shirts, shoulder and back pain and I can't even paint my toes because these bastards get in the way.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I'm considering having a breast reduction done. I don't feel that has anything to do with me being insecure, unable to love or having a need for validation. I just want these monster boobs and their weight off my body. It's not a drastic reduction, about two cup sizes. Losing weight has no effect on them and my doctor concurs. He also suggested some counseling just to explore if there were other reasons. I was very straightforward. Big boobs, no cute bras or shirts, shoulder and back pain and I can't even paint my toes because these bastards get in the way.
    Give them to me then! I want monster boobs!

But you know what I find extremely weird? There's this lingerie company and they have this model now. She's very skinny (apparently people like that) and they had to create some curves by giving her fake boobs. I mean, it's totally obvious they're fake. Why take someone with FAKE curves for a lingerie advertisement? Because their curves are more round and firm? It's so weird. I think the same model had her upper lip filled too, I've seen her in an ad for another brand and there it was so clear her lip was fake. This is the model by the way. I mean, isn't it obvious?

I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

Confidence and self-acceptance can't be bought. For any kind of tinkering that requires invasive surgery, I think there should be some form of psychological evaluation. Take a look at Michael Jackson and Heidi Montag, who both believed that fixing the outside will fix the damage on the inside. Not going to happen. To me, both got suckered.

Beyond that, if relatively sane people want to tinker here and there, whatever floats their boat.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Plastic surgery is not necessarly a mark of psychological problem. The most common case is the husband who offer a lifting and a breast enhancement to his ageing wife for their platinum wedding anniversary. It's just a way among other to make life more enjoyable and an exterior sign of wealth.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

I think people should do what it takes to give them peace of mind. Frankly, it's none of my business and I certainly don't hold any negative opinion of those who choose to undergo surgery.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I have no problem if people think it's going to make them more confident. Then I say, whatever works.
    I don't think it's shallow at all in that respect.
    I definitely feel there are other less expensive ways to boost yourself esteem, but I am all for whatever works for you.
    If you think your power rests in having bigger boobs or a smaller nose and it actually works? Then I see no issue.

My issue is personal.
    You don't look better and your fake boobs feel like crap.
    You don't look better because your face is symmetrical and it fits.
    You can enhance your features with make up jewelry and other accessories.
    But if you actually alter your features you are messing with nature.
    You will never look more better than what you were born with.

When I was younger, two actresses that I had crushes on, had work done and my crushes faded along with their surgery.
    They went from cute to just looking odd.

Fake boobs might look good to some, but no one is fooled. Just like you ladies aren't fooled by "comb overs" and hair pieces.