• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is your opinion on plastic surgery?

curiousel

I wonder if people that do not hesitate to repeat plastic surgery procedures, for small adjustments, do have something in common?
Are some types very vocal about their hate towards plastic surgery? is the opposite true?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't see the need for it in most cases *cough uber cough* , but if you're in a horribly disfiguring accident I can understand why you would get it a bit better. but its someone elses body so at the end of the day i have no say in what people do or don't do.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't really care. I sometimes think people erase their distinctiveness by trying to become "perfect" (like Jennifer Grey's nosejob, I thought she was way cuter and distinctive looking before) but ultimately it's not my opinion that matters, it's theirs.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I really doubt that there's much of a correlation to type concerning this issue.

As far my own opinion on this issue goes, I could give less of a damn what people choose to do with their own appearance. Yes, some people screw up their faces big time and it's tragic, but it was their choice, and my thoughts on it are really not going to matter in the end. Hearing things like "why would you do that to the beautiful face you were born with it's like erasing who you were" is a little wearing and sentimental, imo.

Society treats people who are traditionally attractive better, on the whole, and though I would never do it to myself I can't find it in me to hate people for trying to gain that edge. It makes logical sense, even if it doesn't always work out perfectly.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't think there's anything wrong with it in the abstract. I view it in much the same way I view drinking alcohol; it's fine if you are responsible about it, but it's bad if you're an alcoholic/Michael Jackson.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It's up to them, really, but I agree with this:
I don't really care. I sometimes think people erase their distinctiveness by trying to become "perfect"

Most people don't need it, but if it makes them feel better about themselves, why not? But most of the time I think for people who 'don't need it' but are obsessive with plastic surgery, there's that deeply-rooted lack of confidence which is going to be a problem in their lives anyway, meaning that plastic surgery isn't probably going to solve their problems.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think people in Hollywood are starting to look scary. Even the surgery that is "done well". It's sad that people have to have surgery and can't just age.

I think cosmetic surgery here or there isn't a bad idea. Although then I wonder what happens when people have kids that look like them after "fixing" themselves. Should the kid get surgery to "fix" that too?

I think cosmetic boob jobs are also sad since boobs are for nursing and women are concerned about looking hawt for guys? Why not inject silicone all over the body and have lots of boobs!!!

I also think your thoughts on cosmetic surgery depend heavily on your social status and amount of disposable income.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
so should I go ahead for it?
In my opinion? Not unless you need it for medical reasons or in order to function in society -- i.e. I agree with [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION]. And since you're asking, I'm going to presume you don't need it; if you were disfigured from a disease or an accident or something, you wouldn't be asking on a forum, you'd be out getting the surgery you needed.

To put it in friendlier terms: Everyone can look good with the facial features they have. :) Ugliness is so much more to do with personality -- and with personal grooming and hygeine! -- than with something that could be fixed with plastic surgery.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It just dawned on me that I should point out that plasctic surgery is not synonymous with cosmetic surgery. For instance, mom's optometrist says she will probably need to get plastic surgery on her eyelids eventually because they're getting so droopy they're starting to interfere with her vision.

SparklingShadow

MBTI Type
ARGH
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
IMO, I think cosmetic surgery is fake and like a mask, but if someone wanted to do it, I wouldn't mind.

Edit: Cosmetic surgery for non-medical reasons, I mean.

redacted

I'm all for personal freedom, and obviously if someone wants to do anything that would significantly increase their quality of life in the long term, they should do it.

That being said, here's a Daniel Tosh quote: "I'm all for women who get plastic surgery, because plastic surgery allows you to make your outer appearance resemble your inner appearance — fake".

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it's one of those things that often people start out being incredibly moral about but with age become more lax over said moralistic views. My mother for example is now seventy and whilst she did not used to consider it a worthy idea, she now would welcome it, out of vanity.
On the other hand I have a (massively esfp) friend who has had a boob job, she also has botox and several other minor procedures, she has absolutely zero qualms about it and infact is always recommending it as a remedy to people's physical imperfections.
At the moment i still stand pretty firm on the "natural is best" side of things but there are things i would change with my magic wand if i could.
I have a silly things about my knees, they are flat... i am told this is quite ridiculous, but i would like them to have more nobble.
Imo no-one is perfect, i like the little imperfections people have to distinguish them and to remind me that everyone is an individual. How boring the world would be if everyone looked the same.

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Unless the person has been disfigured in someway or developed unnaturally, I don't see the point personally.
I know someone right now who is feeding his wife's self esteem issues to the point of wanting surgery done when there is nothing physically wrong with her and she is infact attractive, you'd probably give her a 7 or 8.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It just dawned on me that I should point out that plasctic surgery is not synonymous with cosmetic surgery. For instance, mom's optometrist says she will probably need to get plastic surgery on her eyelids eventually because they're getting so droopy they're starting to interfere with her vision.

Oh yes, quite definately. Also burns victims often need plastic surgery...and breast cancer patients who have had mastectomies frequently have breast implant/s post mastectomy. There are lots of medical reasons... there is a relatively new idea that botox can help with chronic migrane sufferers too.
Yah... i think the idea of this thread is more to do with the cosmetic side of things... but that can also be a bit blurry.
For example it is considered "cosmetic" to have false teeth/tooth implants for any teeth missing which are not in the first front four upper or lower (uk nhs definition). I doubt most people would consider that cosmetic in the same sense though.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think for medical reasons/disfigurement/etc, it's a blessing.

I think for reasons involving fixing 'physical imperfections', everyone jumping on the botox/cosmetic surgery bandwagon merely exacerbates everyones' belief in physical imperfections, or even the process of Aging itself, being somehow 'wrong', and it cements into the mind of most the element of judging those for said imperfections - that those people are somehow wanting.

I *understand* the urge to try to make oneself more objectively 'beautiful', but over time the shift in everyones' expectations around appearance will be the result - such that cosmetic surgery may be more of a requirement, and those who don't get it may stick out more and be judged as a result..which I find sad.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^Nice.

I think also that movies, media, and, actually......facebook.....are promulgating this need to be beautiful or bust.

The thing is, that pictures/film/stage personas are not the sort of reality that we humans can live in all the time, nor not how we look irl. (think of a pic of a movie star without makeup, or how an actress/actor looks in their stage make-up up close)--it's just not REAL. Yet that is the bar we are setting for ourselves now. People tell me I'm attractive, but I take horrible pictures, and when I see the pictures I will then feel bad about myself. Pictures--the way that we do them--are becoming one of the most abused and narcissistic expressions of our collective lack of good-will, and, to me, represent a breakdown of our society because we are so focused on our facebook page that we care little about our neighbor's true well-being.

/rant