• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is your opinion on plastic surgery?

Starry

that image of pete burns is terrifying :shock:

I don’t know if I can write this in a way that will make sense…but when I saw that pic of pete burns…I had that instinctual (fear) response…like I was looking at someone that was severally injured and needed to jump to action to help. That is terrible. And I do think I have read or heard him say that he has an addiction to plastic surgery.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Do I think that anyone should stop anyone else from gettign PS? Ofcourse not. People should be able to do whatever they want to make themselves happier. Statistics have shown that most people that undergo PS do report higher self esteem afterwards. (Statistics also show that 42% of ps undergoers come back for more.)

My opinion on why PS is not the best way to create self esteem is as follows;
It involves a death risk factor. Low as it may be, it is still there. So when undergonig PS, you better be able to say that you accept the possible risk factors, and that your need for PS is so great that you will risk dying. This would indicate a great disatisfaction with ones self, unless this person also doesn't value life much.
Beauty (imo) is a perception. What is beautiful in one culture is not always beautiful in another. There is no black and white of beauty.
Yet there is a tremendous amount of beauty in ones natural state, as apposed to a plastic state. The features you wear are likely features reaching far back through generations of ancestors. At the moment of your conception, cells/dna was perfectly matched (in natures eye) to create the magnificently unique being called you. Perhaps that is a you with small boobs, or a weak chin, or a prominent nose, whatever.. but I beleive the process taken in your natural creation to be much greater than the process of a surgeon and a few instruments (though medical knowledge is also amazing.)
Ones natural state also reflects to some degree, the health of their life. For instance, ER doctors will often look at someones nails or hair texture to understand vitamin deficiencies, hormononal imbalances, and possible diseases. Your complexion, your weight, your muscle tone, your teeth, all indicators of how well you take care of yourself. Taking care of ones self is healthy, thus beatiful.

Because I believe the above to be true, I also beleive that a great dislike or non acceptance of ones natural being is unhealthy. The risk to alter it are also unhealthy. So it makes sense to me that the problem really lies within, and since surgeons are unable to perform ps on whatever thought processes or perceptions are causing the incongruence, that seeing a mind doctor might be a better way to go. Certainly less dangerous.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
im lucky i live in a country where only like super shallow bitches get plastic surgeries. i dont think i would ever date anyone who had one, and im sure all my friends think the same. also i think it looks ugly to have botox, big plastic boobs, nose job or stuff like that. even the minor ones look unnatural, like some nose job looks like you got a nose that isnt yours. its really really rare that any sort of plastic surgery looks even remotely good, but even then i wouldnt date such a shallow idiot who follows other people blindly.

if you think its ok, your perspective is fucked up due to living amongst too many people who had one.

Statistics have shown that most people that undergo PS do report higher self esteem afterwards.

thats because their self esteem was damaged due to living amongst people with unnatural beauty ideals that they cant can fulfill without getting one themselves.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I agree with skylights' post. That pic of the first girl who had her very large nose fixed, but still looked like herself is a perfect example of sane plastic surgery. That girl probably didn't want to change her whole look; she just wanted her nose to not be the first thing people saw when they looked at her. I think that is perfectly reasonable. It would also have been reasonable for her to just decide she liked her nose, but that is her decision to make, and no one should judge her for it.

Agree also that Ashley Tisdale and Paris Hilton looked much, much better pre-surgery. Those were both women who didn't have a bad or attention-getting nose before, and getting a nose job didn't help them to become more attractive. Their choice, but IMO, bad judgment.

On the other side of the coin, google old pics of Halle Berry. Before she had her nose slightly done, she was pretty, but not a world-class beauty.

halle-berry-nose-job.jpg

Refining her nose propelled her into beauty superstardom. There are tons of gorgeous women in Hollywood that have had good work done. Even those people think are natural. So that's a large part of the issue. It becomes very tempting to have a little tweaking here and there if it means furthering your career.

Would Jennifer Garner have been a sex symbol without her full lips?

jennifergarnerlipinjections.jpg

One more thought: I don't think people are so much afraid of aging and death as they are aging and not being considered sexy. In our culture now, you're nothing if you're not considered sexy. Women and girls are doing everything they possibly can to portray themselves as desirable. Look at all the self-cam pics on any social network site. Look at the fact that no one thinks twice about showing cleavage all day long now. Look at how desperate young female stars are to take off their clothes for men's magazines. The list goes on. When we see a former sex symbol aging without surgery, ala Brigitte Bardot (who has done a LOT of amazing charity work), our reaction is revulsion. The Betty Whites of the world are becoming rarer and rarer. Women want to be seen as sexy until the day they die, which is where you get a lot of this desperation to have lifts, use botox and fillers, etc. Unsexy has become a fate worse than death.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What about the health risks though? That has sort of been glossed over by most here. Put aside BDD or surgery addictions, and consider the risks of elective surgery. If it's not necessary for health reasons or is not any kind of reconstruction, then are the risks worth simply being prettier? There are real risks that going under the knife with anesthesia presents (and apparently these fillers & whatnot can be just as problematic). People talk about fear of aging & death being a driving force behind cosmetic surgery, and yet, there's no consideration that it's a life risk in itself, not to mention the possibility of botched surgery. I mean, what if you don't wake up?

I realize it may not be common for people to die during or from cosmetic surgery, but there is far more risk than coloring hair, applying mascara, etc. They're not comparable. This is why I see it as much more shallower than other forms of enhancing appearance, because it's placing beauty & its benefits above your life/health.

I know this man whose 20 yr old granddaughter died while under going breast augmentation. She went to a reputable doctor also. It just seems like such a frivolous thing to die for....

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
What about the health risks though? That has sort of been glossed over by most here. Put aside BDD or surgery addictions, and consider the risks of elective surgery. If it's not necessary for health reasons or is not any kind of reconstruction, then are the risks worth simply being prettier? There are real risks that going under the knife with anesthesia presents (and apparently these fillers & whatnot can be just as problematic). People talk about fear of aging & death being a driving force behind cosmetic surgery, and yet, there's no consideration that it's a life risk in itself, not to mention the possibility of botched surgery. I mean, what if you don't wake up?

I realize it may not be common for people to die during or from cosmetic surgery, but there is far more risk than coloring hair, applying mascara, etc. They're not comparable. This is why I see it as much more shallower than other forms of enhancing appearance, because it's placing beauty & its benefits above your life/health.

I know this man whose 20 yr old granddaughter died while under going breast augmentation. She went to a reputable doctor also. It just seems like such a frivolous thing to die for....

:yes::yes::yes:

I saw a story years ago, but its always stuck in my mind. This beautiful 19 yr old girl, really a pretty girl.. decided to go in for 1 (ONE) lb of lipo reduction on her inner thighs.. the bandages were wrapped too tightly afterwards resulting in a blood clot and death.
I think this is where the mainstreaming comes to play.. "everyone is getting it done right? Surgeons are more advanced than ever, right?" Ya, except there are still LOTS of things that can go wrong, even with the most reccomended surgeon with an amazing portfolio.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think people should do what it takes to give them peace of mind. Frankly, it's none of my business and I certainly don't hold any negative opinion of those who choose to undergo surgery.

Yeah, this. 100%

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't think anyone here is saying that people shouldn't be ALLOWED to have it done, or should be viewed as less than anyone else for having it done....

I think the issue at hand is WHY people feel the need to have it done, and if there are better ways to resolve this.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A strive for perfection is almost always inspired by a feeling of inferiority, I don't see anything new to discuss. Other people choose plastic surgery to feel more comfortable (like smaller breasts or tighter skin).
I think you want to conclude that "acceptance is always better", but it's only a matter of personal consideration of possible investments, not always consciously. If somebody thinks surgery is the easiest way to go despite of dangers (there are not many of them, you can cite personal horror stories about mostly everything) and has enough money to afford it, I say good for him.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw

I believe more progress will be found in those that challenge the world to see beauty beyond this surface level, than those that conform to the worlds standards of it. Then again beauty will always lie in the eye of the beholder.. but to say this is not somewhat influenced by the external is crazy.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^@ Litvyak
It's not about other people, it's about YOU and your personal feelings about cosmetic surgery. Of course what other people do is their business. People sating that are the ones stating the obvious, which is zero contribution to the thread. That's not what the conversation is about. Why an individual may or may not feel comfortable with having cosmetic surgery or may not like the concept of it is a valid discussion. It is valuable for not forming feelings in a bubble, as others may have thought of things you have not thought of. Discussions like this encourage an examining of your own motivations and reasons.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Here is a thought.. what indicates beauty? From the time that we are very young children, what info is taught or shown to us that adds to our perception? The concept of beauty can not be inate. As very young children we did not differentiate that skinny was good, fat bad. Infact, I would suspect a 2 yr old might prefer the chubby comfort to there grandma's bossum and stomach, to that of a hard, boney, thin person. Beauty must be taught. And my guess, is that it is taught through human interaction, responses. Its a very interesting concept.. the development of perceived beauty...

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OA: Are you a mod or something to decide what is and what is not a proper contribution to the thread?
Tone it down.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Food for thought: Indigenous people have their own version of Plastic Surgery....does it make them shallow and wrong??

lneckw.jpg

5554884919_8be0d0005d.jpg

footbinding2.jpg

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
OA: Are you a mod or something to decide what is and what is not a proper contribution to the thread?
Tone it down.

:shock:

I was merely explaining why some view it as a valid discussion, in response to your comments which implied there was nothing to discuss. It seems the reasons for the discussion have gone over your head, much as my last post did.

Litvyak said:
I don't see anything new to discuss

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Food for thought: Indigenous people have their own version of Plastic Surgery....does it make them shallow and wrong??

Good point. I think this would go back to motivation for physical alteration. Are indigenous people doing this because they feel invalid in their natural state, a perceived imperfection? Or is it more connected to cultural/religious symbolism?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't think anyone would defend foot binding in this day and age.

Plastic surgery is hard to definitively pin down, though, because part of it is cultural and part of it is individual. I find it very odd when people blanketly judge others for having plastic surgery, as if looking like Joan Rivers is the same as having two different sized breasts evened out, or fixing an attention-grabbing nose or having stick-out ears pinned back. And I also think it's very easy for people who have never had those things to judge others for not accepting themselves as-is.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I just want to wear a shirt that buttons without gaping or having to buy a size too big.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
ex colleague of mine, great results of surgery,
but her baby got all her pre op features. flat
wide set nose, and single lid eyes. doesn't look
like the dad, doesn't look like her now.

i think it's funny. hahahaha.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I think people should do what it takes to give them peace of mind. Frankly, it's none of my business and I certainly don't hold any negative opinion of those who choose to undergo surgery.

^This.

Also, if someone offered me a free boob job, I'd gladly go up a cup size. But it's not something that I would ever value enough to actually spend money on.